Have Avid/Sram or Shimano brakes?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what

in other news, I just bought sram brakes and they are howling
I have owned like 18 pairs of shimanos, some maguras, some formulas, even some fucking hopes and the SRAMs are the only ones to HONKHONK on my first ride. What even is?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what

in other news, I just bought sram brakes and they are howling
I have owned like 18 pairs of shimanos, some maguras, some formulas, even some fucking hopes and the SRAMs are the only ones to HONKHONK on my first ride. What even is?
It's a Sram feature.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I find the best thing to do to fix the honkhonk howlhowl make your frame reverberate sensation that many SRAM brakes cause is to follow the next steps:

1: Buy a new bike with SRAM brakes, or buy them individually. Set them up, and discover they make more noise than a howler monkey in a fighter jet.

2: Figure it must be your setup. Spend hours and hours with a laser measuring tool to make sure everything is aligned juuuuust right. Check torque on every single bolt 5 or 6 times.

3: Since that didn't work, start getting more arcane in your fixes. Bleed the brakes. Maybe there is some sort of weird bubble in there causing issues (there isn't). Take the time to sand down your brand new pads and rotors. Maybe the bedding process went south.

4: Since that also didn't work, start spending money on them begrudgingly. You've already spent money on them, and it'll be less expensive to try new pads and rotors than give up and buy new brakes. Maybe somehow the pads got contaminated, or oil has impregnated the rotors from a bad bleed.

5: When that also doesn't work, get rid of them and swear off ever running SRAM brakes again.

6: Mostly forget about swearing them off 5 years ago. If you remember, it's just a nagging sensation that they were a bit of a headache. Maybe you were a worse mechanic then. Plus, they've probably improved in the past 5 years.

Go back to step one. Repeat.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
There's a reason it's known as the "avid squeal"

Spray some WD-40 on them and the squeal will go away instantly.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
If not bedded in properly they will scream like a howler monkey.. I learned that with my rear brake on my new bike. New pads + rotor and 20 big slows to a stop and no issues since.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If not bedded in properly they will scream like a howler monkey.. I learned that with my rear brake on my new bike. New pads + rotor and 20 big slows to a stop and no issues since.
That doesn't make sense. Not saying that the problem didn't go away.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The vibration happens when the stick slip characteristics of the pads match a resonance in the structure of the brakes and bike. Bedding in can change the stick slip part.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You guys are useless.

Brake noises are half the reason I ride mountainbikes. That shit is hilarious.

That said, fuck yeah I have a lot of shimano brakes that need 'fixing.' gimme a hundred bucks and I'll send you like 6 pairs. Good luck with that you baron of capitalism.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You guys are useless.

Brake noises are half the reason I ride mountainbikes. That shit is hilarious.
It's the best when you have a few people riding together with noisy brakes, but at different pitches and intervals. It's like a symphony of robot farts.