Quantcast

Have donated a vehicle to charity?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My old man donated his old Suburban to the Salvation Army about 12-13 years ago. Anything in particular you want to know?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We donated the wife's Sentra 7ish (8?) years ago to goodwill. IIRC we got to write off KBB value of the car, then a year or so later the tax write off changed to whatever your particular charity was able to get out of it. I don't recall the particular numbers involved but I do remember that I felt the KBB value was pretty high compared to what I thought the car was actually worth/might have sold for.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
My wife donated her VW fox to NPR a few years back. It was that or have it junked! I don't even know what happened or if we got a tax benefit out of it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A write off would be a nice bonus - we're just wanting to dump a liability we no longer use. It sits on our lake property that we havent visited in 4 years... we spend about 3K annually maintaining it.

We donated the wife's Sentra 7ish (8?) years ago to goodwill. IIRC we got to write off KBB value of the car, then a year or so later the tax write off changed to whatever your particular charity was able to get out of it. I don't recall the particular numbers involved but I do remember that I felt the KBB value was pretty high compared to what I thought the car was actually worth/might have sold for.