Quantcast

have you ever been on a bike-centric vacation?

have you ever been on a bike-centric vacation?

• Total voters

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yes or no (for the purposes of this poll, a vacation is defined as being in an area for 5 or more days w/ the expressed purpose of bike riding (ie, long weekends don't count).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Heidi said:
HELL YES wasn't option so I just picked yes. In fact, I leave tomorrow for one! WOOT WOOT
get some great chocolate over there.

and pictures, too.

<jealous>

btw, the reason i put this poll up was the argument BV and i were having over proprietary parts and failures...i guess if you don't take any trips, the risk of not being able to use yr bike isn't a big deal. so this is a very unscientific survey.

for the record, i've been on a bunch, at least once a year prior to kids but am ramping back to that rate.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
d'oh!
I should read the thread before voting. Never for more than 5 days, but I voted yes. Poll skewed.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I voted yes even though it was only a 4 day trip, because we flew halfway across the country for the sole purpose of riding bikes. Details ... flew to Boston, drove to New Hampshire, 1 day of DH at Attitash for me (while my wife did other stuff), 3 days of riding road in the White Mtns. We road 50ish miles each day to a B-n-B while a van took our luggage.

It was one of the best trips we've ever taken.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
nothing better than arriving at a new destination.
and realizing you have two weekends and the whole week in between to do nothing but ride ride ride ride ride.

and eat.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
dhbuilder said:
nothing better than arriving at a new destination.
and realizing you have two weekends and the whole week in between to do nothing but ride ride ride ride ride.

and eat.
and drink :love:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Yup. For the last three years I've gone out to Whistler and Vancouver with a motley group of goons for about week to ride, ride, ride.

Whistler 2003 Whistler 2004 Whistler 2005

This summer a Whistler trip didn't come together for a variety of reasons so instead my friend Mark and I will take his Airstream up through NJ and NY for a week to hit Diablo, Plattekill, and Whiteface.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Is there any other kind of vacations??

T minus 13 days before BC & PNW 30 days vacation! :)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
narlus said:
btw, the reason i put this poll up was the argument BV and i were having over proprietary parts and failures...i guess if you don't take any trips, the risk of not being able to use yr bike isn't a big deal. so this is a very unscientific survey.
took a trip to Sedona in March '02, and had a problem with one set of hayes hydros. thankfully the second shop we went to did have a set of Hayes lines, but if it wasn't for them we would've been screwed. being able to get replacement parts halfway across the country is huge...

now I miss Sedona... :nopity:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
I am guessing that narlus thinks if he had a bike with high-end proprietary parts he'd be way too afraid to go anyplace??

:rofl:
yeah, that's it. let's list the places i've flown w/ any one of my bikes, shall we?:

sedona/flagstaff
front range, CO
sedona
tahoe
brian head
santa fe/durango
bend
moab
morzine/les gets
north star
pisgah

next up: whistler '07 :drool:

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
My longest is/was 4 days of riding, but 5 days overall.

Santa Cruz>Berkeley>Novato>San Fran>Berkeley>Mountain View>Santa Cruz.

It's amazing how hard the final 100 mile day is after drinking every night and not eating anything but Gu is...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
The only bike-centric vacation I ever went on that met the 5-day- minimum rule was a 9-dayer to Vancouver's North Shore and Whistler. Because I broke my frame during my last run on A-line, though, my bike-centric vacation turned into one more kind-centric vacation. My B&B accommodations were first rate(see link) and certainly there are worse things that can happen to a man then herb-touring B.C. from there in a rental Eddie Bauer SUV with a half OZ of Golden Haze and a glass steamroller in the center console.

link==> http://www.theamsterdam.com/bedandbreakfast.html

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
narlus said:
CB is a place i've wanted to get to...a friend of mine has been a couple of times and always raves about it. have a great time, tony.
Thank's i'm REALLY looking forward to it. I missed my snowboard vacation because of my broken collarbone. So it's been exactly a year since i've had a vacation. There is a large group of us Texicans invading TexasJr (aka Colorado.) There's 7 in my group and 4 in the other group.
I have a couple of things slated for next year and i'm hoping to get at least on of those in. CopperCanyon (little espensive so early in the year) and Europe (no destination yet just a dream.)

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
CB is awesome. We're thinking about heading out for a red-eye 3-day weekend this fall and linking together all our favorite trails to try to get as much in as possible in 72 hours. (talk about biting off too much)

Sea level to 8000 feet base and then ride some monster rides for 3 days. Sounds like a plan. :thumb:

oh, and have fun, toninator.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i met a guy today in fomba who is doing a 9 day tour of new england riding spots. i believe he said he was on day 5.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
peter6061 said:
Sea level to 8000 feet base and then ride some monster rides for 3 days. Sounds like a plan. :thumb:

oh, and have fun, toninator.
hahhhahah, the altitude didnt bother me too bad last year in the dgo. that meaning i could do 3mph at 91% of hrm on the climbs:) but hey i could do it.
this year i'm a little nervous but it'll be ok.
we're going to try to hit all of the bada$$ trails and then work down this list. we'll see how long the group lasts.
My office is 35’ above sea level but that’s just because I’m on the 7th floor.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
two days until I disappear into BC for two weeks.

In 2000 I lived in a tent in pisgah for two weeks, then did the continental divide ride with a BOB trailer for 2.5 months, got back, bought a truck and drove west over a month stopping in colorado, utah and then tahoe. 5 months with never missing more than one day of riding.

Beat that b1tches. :D