Quantcast

Have you ever had to pretend to like a professor?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
"Ah.. the people who complain the loudest while doing the least..." N8 asserted as he sipped his martini while standing in his newest cookie-cutter house.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
kinghami3 said:
"Ah.. the people who complain the loudest while doing the least..." N8 asserted as he sipped his martini while standing in his newest cookie-cutter house.

You must be either quite young, naive, just plain ignorant or all three...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
N8 said:
I'm a 21 year old junior in college with a pretty average 3.1 GPA, if that helps. Oh, I'm a flaming liberal too, and a Christian on top of that. I've been to 11 foreign countries, and also plan on teaching history at the college level, if I even get into grad school much less doc/post-doc. If you want to start name-calling, that's fine with me, but save for the playground. I'm not going to list off all of what I've done for charity, and I don't really care what you've done for charity, but know this: I do plan on making a difference where I can, and so do many of the students that I go to school with; whether we complain or not, many of us are going to be doing our part to make the world better. Most of the people I am thinking of are conservative, and I have the greatest respect for them.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
kinghami3 said:
I'm a 21 year old junior in college with a pretty average 3.1 GPA, if that helps. Oh, I'm a flaming liberal too, and a Christian on top of that. I've been to 11 foreign countries, and also plan on teaching history at the college level, if I even get into grad school much less doc/post-doc. If you want to start name-calling, that's fine with me, but save for the playground. I'm not going to list off all of what I've done for charity, and I don't really care what you've done for charity, but know this: I do plan on making a difference where I can, and so do many of the students that I go to school with; whether we complain or not, many of us are going to be doing our part to make the world better. Most of the people I am thinking of are conservative, and I have the greatest respect for them.

you go!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
N8 said:
College ain't real life anyway.... so no worries.
Actually it IS real life. It's just PART of some peoples' lives. But we don't expect you to understand this in your Louisiana/GED world....

Ya know, if they dropped N8 on the terrorists, they would be foiled in no time. Just being around him, them would become so stupid, they would wipe themselves out accidentally.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
MMike said:
Actually it IS real life. It's just PART of some peoples' lives. But we don't expect you to understand this in your Louisiana/GED world....
That's fine, but I bet N8 makes some money doing whatever he does. Just look how ugly he is, but still has a cute wife. That doesnt happen without making some coin...

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
kinghami3 said:
eh, I just pulled that stat out of my a$$; I really have no idea, but I was hoping no one would call me on it :D. Most of my science/engineering profs seem to have been conservative, while my humanities profs seem to be liberal.
Well, many PhD's are funded by the NIH or NIMH or NSF. It's tough to support the party that cuts your funding the most. So yes, many PhD's vote to the left.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
BurlyShirley said:
That's fine, but I bet N8 makes some money doing whatever he does. Just look how ugly he is, but still has a cute wife. That doesnt happen without making some coin...
Harsh mate, very harsh.:rofl:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
You know what, I hate most of my professors...but school still beats the hell out of work.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:

Testify Brotha!!!!!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
BurlyShirley said:

But I'm not hurting for money, I'm no beauty queen and my wife is even better looking. Explain THAT......

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:
He's just a pup and doesn't know the real world. Just what he's taught in school. I know more successful people who have little or no college experience, than people who did go to college.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Brian HCM#1 said:
He's just a pup and doesn't know the real world. Just what he's taught in school. I know more successful people who have little or no college experience, than people who did go to college.
Alot of times people who dont spend their first 4-6 years of adult life at uni have a good head start. A good friend of mine gives me **** because he makes $200K a year, and graduated the same year I did. (Thats alot in TN, btw). However, I know that in the end, he hates the construction business, and I will be happier doing something I care about in the end. However, in all likelyhood making less. I am a minimalist, though.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Brian HCM#1 said:

Oh hell ya!

All college does, for the most part, is teach you to work for someone else... it does not teach you squat about running your own gig.

there are a lot of wealthy bubbas who never went to college but made their millions in construction and other businesses.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
Oh hell ya!

All college does, for the most part, is teach you to work for someone else... it does not teach you squat about running your own gig.

there are a lot of wealthy bubbas who never went to college but made their millions in construction and other businesses.
True N8, but I am gaining expertise that I could not otherwise. There is no other way to learn as much about biology as I am now, and I wouldnt have the credibility (degree wise) to starty my own business when I am finished.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
True N8, but I am gaining expertise that I could not otherwise. There is no other way to learn as much about biology as I am now, and I wouldnt have the credibility (degree wise) to starty my own business when I am finished.

What are you shooting for in the end?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BurlyShirley said:
Alot of times people who dont spend their first 4-6 years of adult life at uni have a good head start. A good friend of mine gives me **** because he makes $200K a year, and graduated the same year I did. (Thats alot in TN, btw). However, I know that in the end, he hates the construction business, and I will be happier doing something I care about in the end. However, in all likelyhood making less. I am a minimalist, though.
Most people educated or not will most likely ALWAYS hate there job. Oh and $200K here in the Bay Area is VERY good money too. Just in TN he can live like a pro athlete.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MMike said:
You aren't qualified to partake in this discussion. Marrying into money so you don't have to work, while a very attractive option, disqualifies you.
Marry into money? My wife doesn't come from ANY money in her family. She was never given a dime. When we first met I made more than her. When we bought our first house before we were married she put down $10K to my $75K. FYI, I do actually work.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
What are you shooting for in the end?
Quite a few things:

Independent environmental consulting and research, eventually. Right now Im working on a bachelor's in biology and hoping to get accepted to a masters program in fisheries management.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BurlyShirley said:
We're not saying college is bogus, yes if you want to be in a science field then yes, school is 100% necessary. Basically N8's and my point is you don't need an education to be successful.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Brian HCM#1 said:
Most people educated or not will most likely ALWAYS hate there job. Oh and $200K here in the Bay Area is VERY good money too. Just in TN he can live like a pro athlete.
He actually is a pro dirtbike racer as well........the bastard.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Brian HCM#1 said:
I know more successful people who have little or no college experience, than people who did go to college.
maybe that's because the finishing school grads think you're too uncouth and avoid hanging out with you :D

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
College is bogus?

Sort of. A little. A B.A. is more a measure of a persons ability tp jump throgh hoops and follow direction than anything.

Graduate degrees seem to indicate a specialty, but can also simply measure how well a person can vomit back information.

I'm still glad I went to college.