Quantcast

Have you ever wanted to own a bike shop?

Bog Dogs

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
Grove City, FL, USA
Many bike enthusiasts have toyed with the idea of opening their own shop. Starting from scratch can be very costly and time consuming. The easiest, smartest and most profitable way would be to buy an existing shop that is already successful...Read on

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Think of it like this; If you love to ride bikes , working in a shop will lead to killing that love, Owning a bike shop.....do the math. I do not know of 1 shop owner that still rides.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Think of it like this; If you love to ride bikes , working in a shop will lead to killing that love
I dunno man, I have worked in shops for a while and still love working on bikes and riding them even more, along with many other wrenches I know.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
So your shop makes at least $1800 a month, which covers the mortgage.

What about utilities, payroll, P & A, bikes, advertising...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Kind of ruins things when your nose is that close to the spinnning wheel. the risk to reward ratio is facked for sure here in the north east....

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yes I have dreamed of owning a shop. I have worked in a shop at several capacities since 1994 and know that unless someone gave me a building I wouldn't have to pay rent or mortgage on, there is no way in the world to make it work. This guy made his money not by being a bike shop owner, but by owning a building and being a landlord!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Think of it like this; If you love to ride bikes , working in a shop will lead to killing that love, Owning a bike shop.....do the math. I do not know of 1 shop owner that still rides.
Rode with one last night... he use to ride for Trek Subaru. Got burnt out, opened a shop a few years ago, started riding again. Now is back to being the fastest guy in the state.

Come to think of it... I know a lot of shop owners and I ride with them frequently. Only can think of one out of 6 that doesn't ride much anymore.

Last edited:

Bog Dogs

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
Grove City, FL, USA
Yes I have dreamed of owning a shop. I have worked in a shop at several capacities since 1994 and know that unless someone gave me a building I wouldn't have to pay rent or mortgage on, there is no way in the world to make it work. This guy made his money not by being a bike shop owner, but by owning a building and being a landlord!
You're right. His profit comes from his renters. His utilities are low because he lives in such a weather mellow part of Florida. After 28 years in bike shops he doesn't ride a bike anymore. Anyway, he's a good guy. The building does make him money so I promised to help spread the word. This forum has always been great for feedback. Thanks.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I don't know a single bike shop owner who is "wealthy". We have one shop owner who has one at the trailhead and he manages to drive a nice car at all times. Don't know what his wife does for a living.

I do know that the price he offered to sell me his shop was in the 6 figure range. :rofl:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Jaded much? :think:

The shop I work for has been open for 30 years. The two owners still ride bikes religiously; one still does a century every Sunday.

I've been working in shops for 6 years. I ride more now than I ever did. I don't plan to work in a shop forever, but I don't plan to leave the industry either.

There's a difference between making a living from your enjoyment of cycling, and simply being infatuated with it. The first makes posts like me, the second makes posts like you.

All that being said, I have no desire to own a shop.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I personally know two shop owners. One is also a doctor and bought a declining shop and turned it around. He also opened a second location. He's loaded but its not from the bike shop.The other one owns a shop that his granddad opened in 1927. They do ok but their mortgage has been paid off for 5 decades. Both shops do lots of business and both owners still ride.

So if you already own a building, or you're a very successful doctor with a 7 figure income to throw around, I'd say go for it. But if not, its going to turn into the biggest money pit of your life

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
When the internet was invented, I concluded that I would have no use for owning a bike shop. Especially since I work at one. Bike shops are more about talking to dumbasses than they are talking to the knowledgeable peeps. The enthusiast don't go to shops anymore.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
When the internet was invented, I concluded that I would have no use for owning a bike shop. Especially since I work at one. Bike shops are more about talking to dumbasses than they are talking to the knowledgeable peeps. The enthusiast don't go to shops anymore.
What's stupid to me, is that you should know shop people aren't all retards and that there's a lot of retarded information on the Internet. I personally have a lot of people that defer to me for information. I like to think I'm good at this. You obviously just have a lot of "enthusiasts" that don't like shops around you. We have some pretty decent ones here, with people that like bikes a lot.

All that said, if I owned the shop, it would be sparse and Wumpus couldn't work with me. :(

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
What's stupid to me, is that you should know shop people aren't all retards and that there's a lot of retarded information on the Internet. I personally have a lot of people that defer to me for information. I like to think I'm good at this. You obviously just have a lot of "enthusiasts" that don't like shops around you. We have some pretty decent ones here, with people that like bikes a lot.

All that said, if I owned the shop, it would be sparse and Wumpus couldn't work with me. :(
But, asking me where the valve stem goes into the pump can only lead me giving smart arse remarks like "up your nose."

Even so, I am more referring to the enthusiast demographic who do not go to shops but instead buy all of their parts on teh interwebs. It would be more enjoyable if those people came into the shops but they don't. Instead I get the gel seat jagaloons.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
But, asking me where the valve stem goes into the pump can only lead me giving smart arse remarks like "up your nose."

Even so, I am more referring to the enthusiast demographic who do not go to shops but instead buy all of their parts on teh interwebs. It would be more enjoyable if those people came into the shops but they don't. Instead I get the gel seat jagaloons.
Apparently I'm glad I don't live in Jersey.

I do have some stories. One day, perhaps I'll start a thread about them. Wumpus will attest, we get some whack jobs. :thumb:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
We still make money though. When you bring that Fox 40 in that you bought off the internet at our cost and we install it for you and have the missing headset part you need to install it on your bike. We win too. Its not all bad. Some customers are nice people. Smart too. The ones that are evil, are easily offset by the cool ones for the most part... I think.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Granted this is secondhand information from the OP, but that fact that the major selling points appear to be enough income to cover the mortgage (i.e. pennies) and the fact that the owner appears to be willing to let his 28yr investment go for the cost of the building means the business is worth nothing. So either he's (the owner) really stupid and/or the shop isn't making that much money. Which means the best bet is too buy the building, liquidate any shop inventory, and find a new tenant. Or steer clear and invest in hookers & blow.

Oh and nice :spam: here & the NEMBA boards.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The best way to make a small fortune owning a bike shop? Start with a big fortune.

As has already been said, retail is a bitch. I love bike shops, I still give them business, and I fully support the idea of owning or working in one as a lifestyle choice. But personally I wouldn't want to own one unless I had sufficient independent wealth to operate at break even or a loss (and not have to be there all the time, but if I had the first part covered presumably that would not be a problem).

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I wouldn't want one. Not in this economy. I'm going to be honest here. I'd have no problem buying from a bike shop, but I just don't have as much money anymore as I did six years ago. I literally see a ton of it go to the Saudi's and I feel helpless to stop it. If I was paying $1.00 to a $1.50/gallon for alcohol or natural gas, I'd have the extra dough and wouldn't mind helping my LBS. And to make matters worse, congress just voted to freeze my salary for the next two years so I won't get a raise for three years straight while the cost of living goes up. That's several grand I'll lose out on and I can tell you, several grand shy, I have to save every dollar I get any way I can.

Last edited: