Quantcast

Have you ever..........

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
stood outside a store to wait for an item to come on sale?

I saw a huge line standing outside of Best Buy this morning in the rain and I thought to myself, what possesses people to act this way?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My coworker informed me that some local shops were actually price gouging in return for getting you an Xbox on release day. A friend of hers called a retailer and they said they weren't sold out, and they'd sell it to him... for $800.

:eek:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Any idea what product it is? Or how much?

BTW, no.
That was the second thought that went thru my head.

The only thing I could imagine is it's War Of The Worlds. I too am anxious to see this movie however what's waiting one more week or even 2 months. Aint no biggie!!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
My coworker informed me that some local shops were actually price gouging in return for getting you an Xbox on release day. A friend of hers called a retailer and they said they weren't sold out, and they'd sell it to him... for $800.

:eek:
Supply and demand... does not mean price gouging IMO.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Yep, that's why the lines were there.
It's funny that an small plastic box can control people's minds to make them stand out in the rain for hours.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stosh said:
It's funny that an small plastic box can control people's minds to make them stand out in the rain for hours.
There are certain people in this world who will go stand in a line because there are a bunch of other people standing in line.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
it is crazy..some people have to be the firstto get something.. before all their friends get it... I have seen lines form at midnight for a store that opens at 7 .. sick

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
There are certain people in this world who will go stand in a line because there are a bunch of other people standing in line.
By "people" did you mean Lemmings?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
it is crazy..some people have to be the firstto get something.. before all their friends get it... I have seen lines form at midnight for a store that opens at 7 .. sick
Krispy Kreme was like that down here.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
Especially one that costs $400+ for the base model.

I simply can't fathom it. My computer cost me $500; if I were to buy a USB controller for $50, it would serve every purpose that the Xbox serves, plus a million. Including output to TV.

Not trying to start an arguement, I know that there's a difference and blah blah the Xbox does this for me yadda yadda. I'm just saying for my own purposes.

I feel like I have some redundancy with my PS2, but at least that only cost $150ish and came with a controller and two games.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Especially one that costs $400+ for the base model.

I simply can't fathom it. My computer cost me $500; if I were to buy a USB controller for $50, it would serve every purpose that the Xbox serves, plus a million. Including output to TV.

Not trying to start an arguement, I know that there's a difference and blah blah the Xbox does this for me yadda yadda. I'm just saying for my own purposes.

I feel like I have some redundancy with my PS2, but at least that only cost $150ish and came with a controller and two games.
I don't have any game console and I've NEVER owned one. I do however use my computer to play games during the winter.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
WTF they could all be resting up to get ready for the next big ride. This is why mountain biking isn´t more popular. I had a roomate freshman year who spent about 14 hours a day playing his modified XBox. He would lock the door so no one would bum rush into the room and steal it. After a nice long DAY riding bikes and hanging with pals, I would arrive home to see the kid still in the same spot, still excercising the thumbs. Then after a long night of partying, get home, and he´s still playing. He´s been sunburnt twice his whole life, and he´s super fish belly, pasty white. Gross. Ride bikes, people, please.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bikenweed said:
WTF they could all be resting up to get ready for the next big ride. This is why mountain biking isn´t more popular. I had a roomate freshman year who spent about 14 hours a day playing his modified XBox. He would lock the door so no one would bum rush into the room and steal it. After a nice long DAY riding bikes and hanging with pals, I would arrive home to see the kid still in the same spot, still excercising the thumbs. Then after a long night of partying, get home, and he´s still playing. He´s been sunburnt twice his whole life, and he´s super fish belly, pasty white. Gross. Ride bikes, people, please.
I don't think being equally obsessed about bikes is a healthy thing either. Although I do agree it is MORE healthy.
Everything in moderation!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
kizzi77 said:
Why would you do that when you can just preorder online and get it pretty close to release date? People are weird!
Why would people use avatars like yours is a better question.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
well maybe its something we cant understand..
if it was a new frame.. you have been dying for ...and there was only one first come first serve... would u get there as early as possible to get it???

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
been there, done that...PS2. me, and 4 other guys, went to Best Buy eagerly awating it's introduction. 3 of us weren't planning on buying anything, we just went 'cause....i don't really know why. no wait, i remember; i was planning on buying one then turning around and selling it right away for a huge profit. ended up chickening out 'cause i wasn't used to the whole eBay thing. the other 2 guys were hardcore gaming freaks. i don't know how these guys passed their classes. they were all either Computer Science or Electrical and Computer Engineering majors.

the 'tickets' Best Buy handed out prior, so there wouldn't be a mad rush to get to the PS2s, ran out before reaching me, though. 3 people in our group got their ticket, and 1 guy gave his to the kid behind us.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Westy said:
I do that all the time. I see folks standing in line and I just go stand with them. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not so much.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
DRB said:
I do that all the time. I see folks standing in line and I just go stand with them. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not so much.
There are people here in DC who get paid to stand in lines as placeholders, mostly by lobbyists and lawyers who want in on key congressional hearings and the like. They hire average joe or jill to stand in these lines while they're off doing something ostensibly more important and then when the time of the event nears a bunch of Lincoln Towncars show up and the suits take their place.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
i have stood in line once to buy a product.
GTA san andreas was being released at 12 midnight, i had a few mates round, just hanging out, we were bored, i had pre ordered san andreas so i was eligible for the midnight pick up.
as there was nothing else to do we poped down to the 24hour Tesco store got some munchies, went to the game store to find there was this MAHOOSIVE que, so instead of doing the sensible thing and just going home, we just waited met a few other mates in line so we skipped about half way down the que and started talking to them, ended up waiting about 45 minutes if i recall correctly until we got into the store, went home and played GTA and drank beer until about 7am, overall it was a completely pointless thing to do, but heh whats the harm.

wouldnt do it again though.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
DamienC said:
There are people here in DC who get paid to stand in lines as placeholders, mostly by lobbyists and lawyers who want in on key congressional hearings and the like. They hire average joe or jill to stand in these lines while they're off doing something ostensibly more important and then when the time of the event nears a bunch of Lincoln Towncars show up and the suits take their place.
I can do that job. I wonder how much you get paid to do that.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
steve45 said:
i have stood in line once to buy a product.
GTA san andreas was being released at 12 midnight, i had a few mates round, just hanging out, we were bored, i had pre ordered san andreas so i was eligible for the midnight pick up.
as there was nothing else to do we poped down to the 24hour Tesco store got some munchies, went to the game store to find there was this MAHOOSIVE que, so instead of doing the sensible thing and just going home, we just waited met a few other mates in line so we skipped about half way down the que and started talking to them, ended up waiting about 45 minutes if i recall correctly until we got into the store, went home and played GTA and drank beer until about 7am, overall it was a completely pointless thing to do, but heh whats the harm.

wouldnt do it again though.

Damn it! Next time invite me! :mumble:

:p :D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I friggin HATE lines. The worst part are the people that stand in these lines are typically a$$holes. At least the ones I stood in! :eek:

Never mind. keep moving, nothing to see here...

:D

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It's the holiday season, so parents are waiting in line to get their kids' new Xbox. I wouldn't wait in front of a store. However, if I had kids, and they really wanted something, I would wait to pick up a gift for them...