Quantcast

Have you seen the new Travis forks?

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I saw them at the Are Mountain Mayhem in Sweden, they look ok, but they don't really look like a high end fork, and apparently it's not a replacement for the dorado, the manitou rep said they'll be rolling out a new dorado for ´06!?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hans said:
I saw them at the Are Mountain Mayhem in Sweden, they look ok, but they don't really look like a high end fork, and apparently it's not a replacement for the dorado, the manitou rep said they'll be rolling out a new dorado for ´06!?

:think:...you are out of your mind.

dorado for 06' = no
travis being manitous high end offering = very yes

:dancing:

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
they look kinda chinsy similar appearance to the stance...no idea how they preform but if anyone knows anyone that has a sherman slider or even a dorado, the maintance is alot and very complicated etc

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, I have already seen them not working. :devil:
I'm backing Jeremy up on this one. I've witnessed two of them doing just like the original Dorado...stiffening up and not getting more than 6 inches of travel.
and before you naysayers jump in saying I'm hating on them b/c I'm sponsored by Marzocchi...nope, just stating facts. Two of them would barely budge.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
same thing happened to the slider forks i kno on the sliders it was the rebound cartridge but idk if thats the same thing on the other 2 forks. also i've heard the internals are all real cheap and plastic like etc

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Both Jeremy and Butch, the forks you saw doing that were nothing like the actually productions ones. The ones you saw were almost mocks ups to be used for a photo shoot, not competition level DH.

Oh and my sponsor at Answer says there is NO Dorado for 06. :(

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
profro said:
Both Jeremy and Butch, the forks you saw doing that were nothing like the actually productions ones. The ones you saw were almost mocks ups to be used for a photo shoot, not competition level DH.

Oh and my sponsor at Answer says there is NO Dorado for 06. :(
whatever helps you sleep at night :p :p :p

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
acair422 said:
they look kinda chinsy similar appearance to the stance...no idea how they preform but if anyone knows anyone that has a sherman slider or even a dorado, the maintance is alot and very complicated etc
how is maintenance on a dorado a slider a lot. its just like any other dh fork. i am defiantly looking forward to the travis. at that price its a very attractive fork. and i am already impressed with my slider. it feels great and has performed well this season. i couldn't be happier.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
bballe336 said:
how is maintenance on a dorado a slider a lot. its just like any other dh fork. i am defiantly looking forward to the travis. at that price its a very attractive fork. and i am already impressed with my slider. it feels great and has performed well this season. i couldn't be happier.
Lucky guy. My slider feels like a pile of poop on anything remotely fast and I can only go through the travel on drops. Don't get me wrong, best trail DC I have ridden, but it has left me disapointed in almost any other category.

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
I got this email a few days ago from Answer:

Christiaan,

The new Travis forks should be available in the next couple months. The
forks should be retailing for $1100(triple Ti intrinsic) to $550 (single
crown 1 1/8) in US dollars.

Sep 29, 2004
Shandro was rididng one and he said it was money, but he is probably paid to say that. However another kid in our camp brought a street hardtail in and they made him ride one of shandros bikes which was a king fisher with a travis sc on it. he really liked the fork and actually enjoyed the frame a bit too

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
bballe336 said:
firstly most people who i know who've owned a slider can barely get 2 weekends of riding the fork before something breaks, or it wont compress etc. i kno one kid who keeps a spare in his car. also if you've ever opened a manitou fork, things aren't that impressive the travel adjustment on my manitou black was pretty much a ****ing paper clip plus i've always heard dorados are a BITCH to work on

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
sliders arnt bad forks its just the spv mine got swapped out for tpc+ and its pretty good not that good though but much better than the spv

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
1 getting dressed in the morning is always a challenge 2 this is just wat i have heard about the dorados i've never owned one but several people i kno have and from readin **** on the internet i hear they're hard to work on.

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
ya my main riding is down at Bagdad.........its pretty sandy....there are some sick cave drops....but my travis is awsome its the best ....... i mean any one wiht king hubs are cool enough to have it.....u should get onei have one

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
people on the internet are silly. dorados are not hard to work on. bike in general are not hard to work out. use the right tool and do stuff in the right order- there is no magic needed.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
acair422 said:
1 getting dressed in the morning is always a challenge 2 this is just wat i have heard about the dorados i've never owned one but several people i kno have and from readin **** on the internet i hear they're hard to work on.

Two of my racing teammates and I have been riding and racing
Dorados for the last three years and have had no major issues, there not that hard to work on either unless your mechanically challenged, just like any fork, get it serviced once a year and you will not have problems, many guys ride their forks with out any concern for maintenance and then complain when problems arise.... sort of like driving your car for a few years with out changing the oil !

I think that the Dorado was and still is one of the better DH forks out there although I now ride a Fox 40 and I think that it's step above the Dorado in performance but it also cost's more.