Quantcast

Having car trouble and have no idea what the cause is (Ford Focus)...

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Well, I have a '00 Ford Focus hatch with just over 50k miles. This past 2 weeks my car has stalled 3 times on the highway -- like I'd just run out of fuel. But, I keep track of my mileage and there is no way I could actually be out of gas. Like stalling with having only driven ~ 180 mi and using just over have the tank (7.some gallons). Anyway, this has happened in the past and the mechanic I usually go to (who I in no way trust), replaced the fuel filter and recommended I clean my fuel injectors.

Now they recommend I replace my fuel pump and fuel 'sender' for the tune of $400-500. It's not that I don't trust them -- actually I don't -- but I don't know enough about cars to correctly diagnose and fix the problem. When I spoke to the dealer, the tech. mgr. said he'd heread of 'such' problems, but I don't know if that means it is a common problem or not.

I guess I was hoping someone might have a recommendation or experience with a problem similar to mine. Thanks in advance!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Sounds like the fuel filter is clogging. They are pretty easy to replace. They are alot of the time behind the driverside rear tire area.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
sounds like a fuel filter issue. Either it's clogging due to use, or you got a tankful of crappy gas. Run that tank out, and get a full tank at a different station. See if that works, if not, try a new filter.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
ford is known for haveing bad fuel filters. they plug easy because the filter fiber is so small inside that once it blocks up it also can block the fuel flow. change them every 20,000 miles. also run some fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank every 15,000 miles. if you do proper upkeep in the future the car will last much longer with fiewer problems. also if it is a fuel pump you should get a gas light pop up on the dash board.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I had a similar problem with my Focus and replacing the fuel filter fixed it.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Hmmmmmmm.......... wasn't the '00 model year the *first* year they made the Focus?

-S.S.-
You're the "all knowing". Was it???;)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Honestly, I'd say take it to a ford dealer where most likely they have had other Ford Focues' with this same problem. Back in he day when cars were simple, non computerized, easy to understand machines then any mechanic could work on any car. But now-a-days, if you have a modern car... take it somewhere that knows THAT car, not some place that is going to make an educated guess and then charge you $400 to replace a part that MIGHT be the problem.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
right take it to a dealer where they'll charge you $800 to change a part that fixed a SIMILAR problem in a FEW other cars.:rolleyes: What's ford's warranty, I'd try to get them to cover the problem.