Quantcast

Hawaii Bound

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
Anyone here ride and live in Hawaii on Oahu ? Headin up there Sept 20 till the 30 and tryin to take my bike with me to ride a couple days. I know of some spots to hit sicne i grew up there and used to ride X Country alot there but wanan see if theres other stuff now sicne its been a long while since i been there.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I used to live there when I was on active duty.

If you're up for downhilling, goto Tantalus trail on top of St. Louis Heights. It's by the University of Hawaii in downtown. On the way down the run, you can see the skyline of Honolulu. We used to wait at the parking lot at the park there and hitch a ride if someone had a truck. If not, you might try to hike or take the bus up to the top.

for info http://www.dhhawaii.com/

Bike shops..."The Bike Shop" in Kailua Town on the Windward side or at the location in downtown.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
It's not too bad, because when it's really dry, it's just loose and dusty like Socal dirt. When the rains start to hit, then it's bad because it just clumps up like there's no tomorrow. But the dirt is worse for clothes and shoes.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
Heh The Bike Shop i used to work there, and my Dad still works there hes tehre Purchasing Manager out of the Honolulu store.

Been to those trails, you know if the DH stuff at Wiamea is still there i know they used to have a shuttle and you come out at wiamea

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
They used to do it way back in 2000ish. After the big landslide at that area early 2001, they closed down the biking and I stopped riding the shuttle there.

I know there are a whole bunch of dirt jump trails around the north shore area. and by Kailua on the windward side there is supposed to be some new pimped out skatepark that was still being built when I lived there.

Speaking of the north shore, there is a great bike shop there too.
Barnfields Raging Isle Surf & Cycle
66-250 Kamehameha Highway, Haleiwa, HI 96712
(808) 637-7797

If Jordan still works there, ask for him, he really knows his stuff. If I recall, from what he told me, he used to work with the guys at Deep Cove in Vancouver before he went back to Hawaii.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I just got that dvd. THe filming (smoothness, contrast) and riding is awsome.
RYan leech is nuts- riding the round rail and chain.

Hawaii looks awsome to ride.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
soo i was looking at some sites in hawaii, DHHawaii.com and there was a link to another one that had this sick shot , wonder if its on Oahu or not tho.

Tryin to figure if he landed just to the left of the photo kinda to flat or if its a road gap.