Quantcast

Hawaii's Newest

Dec 20, 2004
Maui,Hawaii
Aloha Maui Hawaii now has a Bike Company that Rents out Dh and Freeride bikes! Yes Crater Cycles hawaii now rents out Kona Stinky's and Stinky Dee-lux Bikes. We also carry Road and XC bikes. Maui Has some the nicest singletrack trails, Road rides and an 18 mile Dh Run that's unbelieveable. Plus riding is year round here so get out of the cold come see Maui.Crater Cycles hawaii Check out our website now! Aloha and Enjoy the ride :thumb:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Your web site could use some work...
Like an address for your shop/rental place.

Will you also arrange shuttles and stuff? Or do we have to know where the trails are?

I appreciate the services you may offer, but if you don't give us any info, then your SPAM post won't do much for you, and may get deleted.

We may go to Hawaii soon, and I'd LOVE to do some DH'n while I'm there, but with the little that you gave us, I'd probably go snorkeling instead.

Substance man... Substance!!
;)

Dec 20, 2004
Maui,Hawaii
My website is set-up the way it is because I work out of my home and I'am located just minutes from the only legal trails in Maui so you hookup with a more local shop not so much of a Big Company or a Retail Store. So I'am not to worried about be deleted it's all about the riding and I'am the only one offering Dh or Freeride bikes so you'll call if you want to ride an 18 mile Dh run on a real bike! Aloha and I appreciate the comments good or bad I'am cool like that! Aloha Paw Parrish Crater Cycles hawaii :thumb:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I am all for the availability of real bikes to be ridden on real trails on Maui. The last few times I've been there, extensive searching has only resulted in that retarded street ride down Haleakela, which is kept at a slow pace by your "guide." It made me sad to think that that was the only riding on Maui. I've never done it because on top of the fact that the bikes suck (and I mean SUCK) and there's little speed invovled, it costs over $100. I am encouraged to know that there's more, and furthermore, that there's somewhere to get a bike now. Now I just need to get my 'rents to take me on another vacation.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Crater Cycles said:
My website is set-up the way it is because I work out of my home and I'am located just minutes from the only legal trails in Maui so you hookup with a more local shop not so much of a Big Company or a Retail Store. So I'am not to worried about be deleted it's all about the riding and I'am the only one offering Dh or Freeride bikes so you'll call if you want to ride an 18 mile Dh run on a real bike! Aloha and I appreciate the comments good or bad I'am cool like that! Aloha Paw Parrish Crater Cycles hawaii :thumb:
Like BB said it would good if you give us some more information, some of don't want to call hawaii just to gather a little information that we might pass on to friends, etc. And you should describe the "18 mile dh run" better too, like where is it; is it accessible by car (i.e., shuttle); is it singletrack, fire road, or what; is it all down, some pedalling, or what?

If you've got nothing else to say this is pure SPAM and of no public service...

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I've ridden with Paul (aka Crater Cycles) every time I've been to Hawaii, and man, if you haven't done Skyline Trail down the back side of Haleakala, you haven't lived!! 2 HOURS of DH through fire roads, single track, and open pastures. I'd guess it's about 40% - 50% single track. Unreal views, too.

Recently, Paul and some of the other guys have built lots of bridges and jumps, so I can't wait to get back there and hit it all up again.

Cut Paul a little slack - he's not as internet-savvy as the rest of us, and he's doing his best to get his little business off the ground. He's also about the funniest SOB you'll ever meet in your life.

Later,

--JP

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Crater Cycles said:

Cool... I'm glad you took it that way, b/c I was in no way flaming you.
Just offering advice. ;) :thumb:

Dec 20, 2004
Maui,Hawaii
Aloha John P mahalo for having my back these fellows just don't know what their missing. I'll see you next month! Cool like that! I also have an e-mail address that I answer peoples questions all the time so you don't have to call hawaii for more details just e-mail me! Oh and By the way I got your spam :mumble: Paw Parrish@hawaii.rr.com

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
I'm stoked to hear there is riding on Maui..albeit too late. I went in September and even brought my gear hoping to rent a beater and beat it on some single track. The bike shops I talked to said (like most places) all the good trails were hush hush or at least hard to describe how to get to, and the recognized trails blew. Of course he said he was more than happy to rent my any of an assortment of crappy hybrids to ride said trails :nope:
I really liked Maui and hope I can make it out there again next year to hit up some good trail.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Crater Cycles said:
Aloha Maui Hawaii now has a Bike Company that Rents out Dh and Freeride bikes! Yes Crater Cycles hawaii now rents out Kona Stinky's and Stinky Dee-lux Bikes. We also carry Road and XC bikes. Maui Has some the nicest singletrack trails, Road rides and an 18 mile Dh Run that's unbelieveable. Plus riding is year round here so get out of the cold come see Maui.Crater Cycles hawaii Check out our website now! Aloha and Enjoy the ride :thumb:
Awesome! I'm originally from Lahaina and will be on Maui in July - I'll look you up for some dhing.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
that would be unreal to ride from the top of the crater down to the ocean. i remember when i was there at least 10 years ago and just standing up there marveling at how we were so high up on such a small island.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Man...

Some of the best surfing on mother earth, and now DH?

...anyone know where I could get a Trico case that could fit an Eric Arakawa "Andy Irons" model, AND a 17" I.H. Sunday???

:)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've ridden in Maui ... and it IS as incredible as you'd imagine.

* note: if this is the skyline trail IN the park (and I think it is) commercial shuttling may be prohibited by law.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
erikkellison said:
I am all for the availability of real bikes to be ridden on real trails on Maui. The last few times I've been there, extensive searching has only resulted in that retarded street ride down Haleakela, which is kept at a slow pace by your "guide." It made me sad to think that that was the only riding on Maui. I've never done it because on top of the fact that the bikes suck (and I mean SUCK) and there's little speed invovled, it costs over $100. I am encouraged to know that there's more, and furthermore, that there's somewhere to get a bike now. Now I just need to get my 'rents to take me on another vacation.
Haha. I went on that when I was 16 or so. I kept getting told to 'take it easy' because I would let a gap grow between me and the person in front, then rip through the turns as fast as I could. Overall it was still worth doing again. Quite fun.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
Yeah guys,

Maui riding is pretty fun...Its good to hear you push it up so high in esteem.

Its a small community of riders, for what's available trailwise it shows.

Let us know before coming around so we can ride. I live on the westside and can say the whole island has good riding.

As of recent. Paul now has a small retail store in the center of town. Everyone is pretty stoked. hopefully this will bring some crusty hideouts out of hibernation and out on the trails again, and hopefully building some gaps and stunts!!!!!!!!!

aloha
RJM

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
whatttttttttttt i was just in maui like 2 weeks ago and i couldnt find a bike that had more then 3 inches of travel in the rear and now you rent dh bikes?!

kiwiintexas

Chimp
Nov 30, 2005
Rode with Paw whilst i was over in Feb, one of the top 3 trails I have ever ridden in my life. He hooked me up , he is a good man, and his wife even gave my misses a local tour whilst we were riding. Good people, look them up and support the little guy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hungryleprican said:
whatttttttttttt i was just in maui like 2 weeks ago and i couldnt find a bike that had more then 3 inches of travel in the rear and now you rent dh bikes?!

read the date on the first post. 2004.

And i personally don't consider this as spam, its more of a grassroots dh setup as far as i can tell and he's trying to raise awareness about real Dh'ing on the island. also,the other monkies have been responding positively.

now the run down for hawaii:
-surfing
-snowboarding
-dh

i gots to learn me some surfing!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
We went on horseback into the haleakelah (spelling) crater. It was awesome... we stole a rock and our shoes all got stolen (Megan had thousands of dollars worth of shoes) so the curse proved true :eek:

Anyway, your service sounds great.

Note, I would have drank vomit to ride some of the trails we were hitting with the horses.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
Yeah guys,

Maui riding is pretty fun...Its good to hear you push it up so high in esteem.

Its a small community of riders, for what's available trailwise it shows.

Let us know before coming around so we can ride. I live on the westside and can say the whole island has good riding.

As of recent. Paul now has a small retail store in the center of town. Everyone is pretty stoked. hopefully this will bring some crusty hideouts out of hibernation and out on the trails again, and hopefully building some gaps and stunts!!!!!!!!!

aloha
RJM
Hey is this a crack at me haha, my wrist is feeling really good and just ordered my new WC so its on like Donkey Kong.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
Yeah Paul is doing a good thing, ONLY DH/FR shop on Maui. Come out we can bomb ride from 10,00ft to around 2,000 in around 2hr's time. Total fun PM us if youll be in town.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
Bizutch, your staying on the westside holmes. The better dh runs are 1.5 hours away. Dont worry, we do have a short dh trail nearby that i helped build and currently maintain. Theres a couple sweet gaps if you can jump.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
theres riding on every island.

some better than others.

some harder to find than others.

its a twisted fate kind of thing. the more publicity it gets, the more shizz becomes off limits to riding.

Basic rule of thumb...Ride legal trails only.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Butch-

Kanapali's way the hell up on the northwest tip of Maui. Crater's in Kahului, which is sort of in the center of the island (the island's sort of shaped like a figure 8 tipped to the northwest). In between you and Kahului are a couple of huge mountains, and the only way to get past them is to drive around the perimeter. I'm guessing the drive from Kanapali down to Kahului would be about 30-45 minutes?

Drop me an Email and I'll put you in touch with 4 or 5 of my good friends on Maui (including Paul, the dude who owns Crater). If you can get a hall pass from the family for one full day, you could do a Skyline trip with them no problem. And trust me, once you ride it, you'll kick yourself in the ass for ever considering skipping that ride while on Maui.

Later,

JP
johnp@guy-trips.com

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
wow...so that puts a crimp in my plans to rent a bike from Crater and do skyline one day while my wife and daughters are at the pool???:disgust:
If you can get away for a Friday afternoon then you could do it. Paul starts heading up the mtn with the guys around 2-3pm and we finish back at the cars around 6pm, so you would be back to Kaanapali between 7-8pm. There is plety for the wify and kids to do during that time, pool, beach, snorkel, shop. Give Paul a call if youre interested, his # is on his web page, a link to it is in the first post of this thread.

stinkydawg

Chimp
Oct 10, 2006
Come on RJM we all know about your jumping ability!!! If I recall, I have video of you eating it hard in Poli!! hahah

yeah, what Paul has done is a great thing for riders on the island.