Quantcast

Hawk

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
just thought i'd test out a lighter, steeper frame than my 3amigos, and was able to pick up this frame off a team guy for 130, with a brand new fsa headset i needed anyways, so i'll just say $100...figured why not.
i forgot my 22mm mid bb in San Diego, so i had to rip the one out of my fuse 4, and also use the cranks and sprocket, and ultimately the pedals. Also, my chain was too short, so i bought a new one anyways since i figured its only 10 bucks and its the only thing besides the fraem that i'm buying, but that was too long... so im running in the back of hte dropouts,with a way slack chain.
once i get a half link, i'll be able to slam it, and then actually compare it to the 3amigos. i think the cranks/sprocket/pedals are significantly heavier than my fly's, so the half pound i saved from the frame really didnt mean much. although this frame is a 20.75, having hte wheel all the way at the back of the dropouts just makes it seem a little long...but thats only after a day of riding.
anyways, here it is:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I was wrong. I thought this thread was going to be about this guy...

Or, this frame. I raced one of these for a long time. It was the first BMX frame I remember seeing with square tubing...

But, sweet bike, though!!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
very cool sam. love the fit/s&m frames. they make the hawk now w/o brake mounts? or is it a grind job?

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
you have too many bikes
fuse=now without cranks/bb/pedals
sxtrail=hasnt seen dirt in over a year:(
3amigos=down to just the frame/bb
Hawk=fully ridable, built with every part from 3amigos except cranks

only really have 2...

the brake mounts were ground off by the Fit guy that had it before me...i havnt ridden with brakes in a couple months, and so far no problems...if i reallly felt compelled to use brakes, i'll use the 3amigos with the fly brakes.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
....but rumor has it that the next gen hawk frames will have oval downtube/chainstays with a brakeless option...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Duuuude that's ill. I've been thinking about buying a Grim Reaper to shed some weight, rawing/cutting mounts, and doing some light freecoaster wheels, to get crazy light.

How does it ride?

I can't figure out how the hell you fit on a 20.75". I'm 6' on a 21" and I feel borderline cramped.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
Yeah, and I'm running Slam clones uncut...
how far back though?

the bike feels long cause hte wheel is all teh way out, but other than that it seams alright...the fly still has tubing twice as thick just from the *hit the nuckle on the tube* test...and its hard to tell how it rides with that super loose chain....right now im liking the fly better:twitch:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Actually, I run 'em a tad forward from inline with the fork.

I say tighten the chain then see. The little bit of difference in the CS makes the bike feel way different.

Hawks are thin frames, they're designed to be light and not particularly beefy, but I hear they ride good when they're dialed.