Quantcast

Hawkoween -- Last race at the Dirty Bird

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Unfortunately we have been told that there will be no racing at Hawksnest next year. I don't really feel like going to into detail, but the GM just doesn't care about it at all.

So anyways, that means that our next race, Hawkoween, is the FINAL RACE AT THE DIRTY BIRD!!!

-October 30-31

-Costumes HIGHLY encouraged. Time penalty for not wearing one in the DH race!

-There WILL be a dual slalom race

-There is also a very big cyclocross race going on the same weekend on the golf course. Those guys like to party big time.

-Be ready for an all-out blowout at the Bird. It has been a good 2 years of racing here, and we thank everyone who has supported our races here. It has been a total blast building trails at the Bird. Anyone coming from SC or TN, PLEASE BRING FIREWORKS!!!!! The good ones, no snakes and sparklers please.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Sigh...

On the bright side...we're going all out on this slalom track even though we might have to tear it down after the race!

Pricing:

DH- $35
DS-$15
DH+DS-$45
Sunday DH runs-$15 (these riders have to be insured and contribute to shuttle rental just like racers, otherwise it would be cheaper)

Schedule:

Saturday: DS practice 8 am, qualis at 9. We'll take top 16 and we'll be running it just elite/am/women (open age categories). Slalom can really take up a LOT of time if its broken up too much, and this is all about fun. NO DH SHUTTLES DURING SLALOM SO BE A GOOD MOUNTAIN BIKER AND DO BOTH! THAT'S WHY WE'RE MAKING IT CHEAP!

DH shuttles/practice will start as soon as slalom is over, racing at 4 pm.

Sunday: Shuttles starting at 9 am and going as long as people want to ride.

DH classes: Elite, Am, Beginner, Jr, Masters, Women (will be one women's class unless enough of ya show up to do otherwise...c'mon ladies!). I encourage fast jr's to race elite. You know who you are!

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Very sad news!!! I can't believe after all the hard work and success you guys have had up there they don't want to go forward with a park or let you keep having races up there. Sucks as I haven't had the chance to even race there yet!!!!

Cecil

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
It's been a fun spot for sure! But mostly because of how you guys have rock'd it!
Just don't let it kill the spirit you guys bring it back to another spot and all will be golden!
Sucks all that trail work goes to waste more than anything but, everyone who builds knows how that crap goes... just look at it as experience the next spot your guys work will be even sicker!

RideDad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
Man, that is horrible news to be losing Hawksnest for next year. I hope you guys can secure another venue to carry on the DB theme. Thanks for all of your work over the past couple of years. My sons and I will be there for Hawkoween.

adevault

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
bummer.......mad props to all the boone goons that busted their ass---built amazing dh tracks(no pedaling even!!), put on the best races( their moms and dads even pitched in!!!), and had the best turn-outs all year..............im proud of all you guys!!!!!

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
I knew this day would eventually come, sucks to see it finally around the corner.
It just means that I have absolutely no excuse for missing this race.
I'll be there, and can't wait to raise hell

Last edited:

hotrodmarlin

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
That sucks. I really enjoyed racing up there. If you guys keep pushing and working I'm sure you can make something happen somewhere. Has anyone checked into diamond back? Is that still there?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Remember fellas. I know we're all ticked that they won't accomodate, but racers please don't pull a Sugar Mtn. Don't trash the joint race day. We don't want to burn bridges as a community. Maybe write letters of thanks for the access granted?

"Stay classy Philadelphia"

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Remember fellas. I know we're all ticked that they won't accomodate, but racers please don't pull a Sugar Mtn. Don't trash the joint race day. We don't want to burn bridges as a community. Maybe write letters of thanks for the access granted?

"Stay classy Philadelphia"
That is not the reason why Sugar stopped promoting races... :)

sheamus

Chimp
Mar 19, 2008
Athens, GA
I think the DH racing format should stay the same w/ practice on saturday and racing on sunday....that gives out-of-towners like me a lot more time to practice and have fun

LambMan

Chimp
Jul 13, 2009
ATL
Please have the dh race Sunday. I've been to every race you guys have had because having 2 days of riding makes it justifiable to drive from Atlanta. I really hate to hear this will be the last race out there. You guys have done an incredible job and it's been super fun every race.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Please have the dh race Sunday. I've been to every race you guys have had because having 2 days of riding makes it justifiable to drive from Atlanta. I really hate to hear this will be the last race out there. You guys have done an incredible job and it's been super fun every race.
You guys do realize there is more than one place to ride don't ya? Hit up Hawk's on Saturday, then tear up Sugar all day Sunday.... FOR FREE!!
Additional gas money may vary