Quantcast

Hawkoween -- Last race at the Dirty Bird

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Ok people, once again we have tweaked the schedule a little bit. Now we are thinking that Saturday we will do BOTH races so that Sunday is just an all-out freeride day. Morning slalom, afternoon DH race. We will set up a fee for people that just want to show up on Sunday to ride. Sunday shuttles will be free for people that raced DH on Saturday.

There will be no bike-related prizes for this race either. Expect masters-esq prizes for each class. Btw, Masters, know that there are certain circumstances for getting on the podium! The entry fee will be lower and the fun factor will be much higher.

KleinGuy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2010
Guyton, GA
That sucks so bad that this is going to be the last race. I still haven't made it up there and its looking like about a 98% chance that I WON'T make it for Hawkoween. Living in Savannah BLOWS =(

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Ok people, once again we have tweaked the schedule a little bit. Now we are thinking that Saturday we will do BOTH races so that Sunday is just an all-out freeride day. Morning slalom, afternoon DH race. We will set up a fee for people that just want to show up on Sunday to ride. Sunday shuttles will be free for people that raced DH on Saturday.

There will be no bike-related prizes for this race either. Expect masters-esq prizes for each class. Btw, Masters, know that there are certain circumstances for getting on the podium! The entry fee will be lower and the fun factor will be much higher.
this is gonna rock so friggin hard...i just peed a little thinking about it!

is the DS going to be costume recommended as well?

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
this is gonna rock so friggin hard...i just peed a little thinking about it!

is the DS going to be costume recommended as well?
Of course! The entire weekend is costume recommended.

The DH track is gonna be sweet! Finished connecting the corridor yesterday so that it uses portions of the pro track, the original track, and the slide.

Atlmark

Chimp
Sep 19, 2010
I'm new to the mtb world but would like to try and come up and jump into the DS. Any info on practice/registration, directions and "cheaper" places to stay would be appreciated.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Will the parking lot or mountain be open to those of us who decide to camp?
The camping policy is the same as its always been...I'm supposed to tell you to go camp at grandfather mountain campground across the street.

;)

edit: oh yeah, the DH and DS tracks are both looking awesome! The DS has settled a lot since we built it and the soil is so sandy it should be good wet or dry.

The DH is really cool and has a little bit of everything. Difficulty is on par with the salamander slide track so it should make for a really relaxed and fun season ender. It uses portions of the pro track, the original track, and the slide, with new sections to connect them. All the new stuff we cut is rake n ride, wide, with trees taped into the track so plenty of lines. The fresh stuff is REALLY fresh, so it will get better with more traffic. Times should be just a tad longer than average for the bird.

Last edited:

RideDad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
I'm new to the mtb world but would like to try and come up and jump into the DS. Any info on practice/registration, directions and "cheaper" places to stay would be appreciated.
I've stayed at Highland Hills (800-948-5276 www.highlandhillscabins.com) a few times up there. It's just a basic old 1 story motel. Easy to take your bike/s into the room and it's about 15 minutes from the race. From what I've seen, cheap up there is about $100. There's all sorts of hotels in the area, but I've only found Highland Hills and Hidden Valley for motel set ups which I prefer so I can easily take my stuff into the room. Hidden Valley was booked when I checked a few weeks back. I've found it is good to book your room several weeks in advance. Sure there are other options, these are just what I came across and I've stuck with them.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Free if you are racing and I think either $5 or $10 if you're not racing, 90% sure it's $5 but don't quote me on that.
Cool-thanks. So they are running lifts all day for the DH run-runs. Whats it like is there just one DH trail or several?

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Cool-thanks. So they are running lifts all day for the DH run-runs. Whats it like is there just one DH trail or several?
No lifts, just shuttles. There are 4 trails including the race course for this weekend but since that crosses all 3 of the other course that probably won't be open on sunday but the other 3 will be open.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt

No lift, but shuttles will be running all day sunday. There are 3 full runs down with a few ways to link them up for different combos.

Pricing:

DH- $35
DS-$15
DH+DS-$45
Sunday DH runs-$15 (these riders have to be insured and contribute to shuttle rental just like racers, otherwise it would be cheaper)

Schedule:

Saturday: DS practice 8 am, qualis at 9. We'll take top 16 and we'll be running it just elite/am/women (open age categories). Slalom can really take up a LOT of time if its broken up too much, and this is all about fun. NO DH SHUTTLES DURING SLALOM SO BE A GOOD MOUNTAIN BIKER AND DO BOTH! THAT'S WHY WE'RE MAKING IT CHEAP!

DH shuttles/practice will start as soon as slalom is over, racing at 4 pm.

Sunday: Shuttles starting at 9 am and going as long as people want to ride.

DH classes: Elite, Am, Beginner, Jr, Masters, Women (will be one women's class unless enough of ya show up to do otherwise...c'mon ladies!). I encourage fast jr's to race elite. You know who you are!

We'll have wristbands for the shuttle for sunday so don't get any ideas:rofl: We may have to tape off saturday's race course on sunday to keep dangerous intersections down but mostly we'll just have to trust you guys to be safe, courteous, and alert while a lot of folks are on the mountain.

The DH track is fun fun I personally am hoping for mud because its mostly loam.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2009
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it out to the Hawk-o-ween, all this college work is keeping from from doing anything this weekned. :(

Since this the last race at Hawksnest, I just want to give a big THANK YOU to all the guys who helped make DH racing at Hawksnest possible. All the races I have ever done have been at the Dirty Bird, and its what has gotten me into DH racing. Thanks again guys!

Have fun this weekend everybody

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
i'm assuming that the ds course will be open for open riding after the ds race?
Yes, to a point. After the slalom race is finish the guys from Boone Bike are supposed to be taping off a portion (or all) of the slalom track for Sunday's cyclocross race. But by all means, ride it as much as you want.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
And just to reiterate what Mueller said earlier, nobody is allowed to start riding or shuttling themselves on the DH trails until the slalom is finished!!!! You will get plenty of runs in, the slalom race should not take very long.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Yes, to a point. After the slalom race is finish the guys from Boone Bike are supposed to be taping off a portion (or all) of the slalom track for Sunday's cyclocross race. But by all means, ride it as much as you want.
cool...i doubt that noah will qualify in the top 16 of am but he really wants to ride the course for a while on his new p-grom while i'm racing dh. at least he'll get to show off his costume in his qually run...complete with sound effects ;)

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
cool...i doubt that noah will qualify in the top 16 of am but he really wants to ride the course for a while on his new p-grom while i'm racing dh. at least he'll get to show off his costume in his qually run...complete with sound effects ;)

He'll definitely get some shredding in. We'd like to qualify everyone or divide up into more classes but collegiate slalom racing this year has shown us that it can get pretty ridiculously time consuming if you aren't careful.

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
Encouraging fast juniors to race elite eh?

great that means the shaw bro's can offically beat us all now haha.

Seriously so stoked for this event! thanks for putting in the work DB crew, hopefully bigger and better for next year.

see yall fri night.

RideDad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
I just learned my kids don't have school Friday so we can leave early. Will there be any riding allowed Friday afternoon? - even just on the DS course? Anything else going on Friday afternoon? Need any help taping the courses or any other help? We like to work!

TheRiddler

Chimp
Aug 23, 2009
last i heard taping will be going on friday afternoon.we just got done raking the track and its siiiiick. gonna be a fun weekend fosho.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
The race and the track were superb.
My hats off to Dirty Bird Productions.
And also to Off Camber for supplying beers and brats and making the longest haul all the way from south florida!
Beer and Brats my pleasure. If anybody has a pics of "Pebbles" my daughter please post one. I think my wife is gonna kill me for not taking any pics. :) Thanks again to the DB crew, the place will be missed. Lou, Scuba, Panda, I might see ya in WR around Thanksgiving.