Quantcast

Hawksnest 2010

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
We have bigger and better plans for the dirty bird in 2010! As soon as we thaw out its time to start digging on a regular basis and we're in the process of updating the lift to hold bikes. Here are our planned dates for the 2010 race series:

June 5-6
August 21-22
October 30-31

Just wanted to give plenty of head's up time to stock up on Gore-Tex. Expect more trails, more riders, and more cash this time around. We learned a lot last year and are ready to try our hardest to bring new and exciting things to southeastern downhillers this year.

I'll have information to give on other BIG plans as soon as everything is set in stone.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
I'd be on the lookout for some Slalom action on at least one of the race dates, even if that means throwing some flags out on the Slope and slashin grass turns:thumb:.

Like Muellestar said we've got some big things in the works that we can hopefully announce real soon. Having said that we'll probably have a lot of digging to do, and a Slalom track (along with some new DH trailS), will be on the menu with a side of some freeride fries and jump jelly

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What about options for those of us who want to ride but who are not into racing ?

Personally, I would love to get in some runs on your course, but have no interest in competition.

Are there any plans for riding there on non-race weekends ?

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
That is a big goal for us and I will keep everyone posted. We are tentatively planning to open to the public this summer but I'm hesitant to give concrete dates and info because there is a LOT of work to be done if it's going to be successful.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
Good stuff, +1 on the slalom track. I would like to get up there and help you guys dig when I am in town. (This is Nick btw)

Jan 12, 2009
This is awesome!!! I am so stoked to hear about this! So awesome to know that you dont have to drive to snowshoe to get lift access on a mtb park. And I also support the OPEN days without races. Granted, races are fun but sometimes I just like to mess around and take it easy.

If you guys ever need help digging or building give me a shout!

Jun 4, 2008
Pisgah
It would be so sweet for Hawksnest to be open for the GP to come ride even if it was just on weekends. I would definately come out for any kind of slalom event!!!!

NCrider5

Chimp
Jul 9, 2008
Asheville NC
though racing on the track is super fun, I think having a planned non race weekend would be killer, not to mention popular. make a price for each day ticket and advertise it just like a race weekend but with a more party style atmosphere weekend, If there are running lifts then it would be quite successful in my mind.

cmscheip

Chimp
Mar 1, 2009
though racing on the track is super fun, I think having a planned non race weekend would be killer, not to mention popular. make a price for each day ticket and advertise it just like a race weekend but with a more party style atmosphere weekend, If there are running lifts then it would be quite successful in my mind.
I definitely second this.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
just keep your ear to the ground
I'm sure the boys up at the bird already have a plan along these lines
at least one non race weekend if not more:thumb:

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
just keep your ear to the ground
I'm sure the boys up at the bird already have a plan along these lines
at least one non race weekend if not more:thumb:
This man's got it! I'm just jonesin to break ground on some new trail as soon as this snow lets up. We got 7 inches of fresh last night, with more in the forecast for every day of the extended forcast:confused:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Hey you guys don't get to building too many trails that
you don't have time to build a kickazz slalom now!
I've been talking to all my boyz and they're coming
back to racing pro ds if there are places to race!

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
You guys are 5 or 6 hours from us, which is why we didn't make it out last year, but if you add some slalom racing into the mix, we might just have to come check it out!!

It would also REALLY help to be able to ride some either before or after the race!

Keep up the good work guys!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Yup...I totally understand....6 hours is a long way to race in the mud on a track you've never seen.

We've been meeting with management at hawksnest and everything is looking really positive for the summer. We're a little concerned about having enough time to build considering this year's prolonged snow cover. There is waist deep snow at the top of the DH track right now...

Opening to the public as a full-on lift accessed bike park is our number one goal. We're just trying to make sure we have all our bases covered in order to deliver a product that is worth it for you guys to pay for. The hawksnest project has been 100% by riders-for riders...and we want to keep it that way. We know how it is to attend under-organized races and ride trails that aren't built to last, so we're trying to keep it legit for 2010.

I know a lot of you have expressed interest in helping out...once we break ground in the spring and start flagging trails we plan on having several opportunities for volunteer assistance. On behalf of the Bird crew, I appreciate everyone's support, continued interest, and patience.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
All three races are ON for 2010 with the original dates. With the Beech cancellation and no local races until mid summer, we've decided to go ahead with the June race. I hope our cancellation scare didn't mess up anyone's plans too badly.

Unfortunately, there will be no public access to ride this year, and no lift access. These were both big goals of ours, but at this point, the resort is only interested in doing the races. We've decided to take what we can get and put on some sick events geared toward diehard racers and recreational riders alike!

We plan on running the first race with all classes on last years track, because it is soooo good right now. We are working on a very nice "pro DH" style track for the August race that should offer some great racing for the big boys and some incredible spectating opportunities for everyone else! Plans for another partially/entirely new track geared towards less experienced riders are in the works to set the stage for a casual race environment at Hawk-O-Ween in October.

Lastly, our website is nearly ready to launch and we're looking into insurance concerns for a non-race trailwork/ride day for the public. We are also talking with last years sponsors and looking for some new ones to line up some great prizes again. Anyone looking to get involved is welcome to contact me. More info to follow.

This new pro track is no joke...

But don't worry, the old one is better than ever right now! In the woods, Loam is out...Roots and rocks are in....in the slopes the berms and jumps are packed like concrete!

GET STOKED!!!!

Last edited:

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
Good to hear! I can't wait to get up there and ride again.
Is there any progress with getting the lift running? Not sure how eager u-haul is going to want to be the "official vehicle" any more...

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Good to hear! I can't wait to get up there and ride again.
Is there any progress with getting the lift running? Not sure how eager u-haul is going to want to be the "official vehicle" any more...
No lift...looking to avoid Uhaul related incidents from now on. And getting insurance for them.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
and we're looking into insurance concerns for a non-race trailwork/ride day for the public.
Typically that is a snap if you belong to either a trailbuilding club or USAC. IF the club puts on the trail work day, then they provide you a legal waiver of liability from the club's insurer to have all work volunteers sign so that you have protection for the "event". SoFa down in GA one time even used that loophole to host to a "Club event". I think it was a freeride comp, but they didn't award prizes or compete to stay within the waiver limits. :thumb:

bikergerm

Chimp
Sep 24, 2009
So whats the deal for the first race? Saturday practice with Sunday race? Beech mountain was cancelled? I am coming from Orlando so I would like to know what's up.

Millner