Quantcast

Hawksnest 2010

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Are there any local bike shops that have a chance in carrying a mud tire? I discovered yesterday minions are awful in mud and the next closest thing I have is an intense 909 which isn't too excellent either.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Are there any local bike shops that have a chance in carrying a mud tire? I discovered yesterday minions are awful in mud and the next closest thing I have is an intense 909 which isn't too excellent either.
[shameful spam]

I've got 2 of the 2.2 wetscreams I'll sell you for $20 apiece. One of them I think is brand new and the other was literally used for 3 runs.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
[oh oh oh...even more shameful]

I also have some 2.35 Swampthings I'll sell you for $15 apiece. They are more used than the wetscreams but still have plenty of life left.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Sounds good, if it rains I'll be hitting you up for those! If you don't pm'ing me with how I can get a hold of you should I need them that'd be cool.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Had planned to come up to have some fun with all of you, but have a meeting for the Paris DH Race the same day. Will just have to wait till the next race. Everyone have fun!!!!

Cecil

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
if it's the same type of mud as last year, tire choice won't matter. your best bet is to run outriggers or hop in a kayak in some sections ;) :D

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

Grandfather Mountain is very close by, and they a great zoo and nature center IMO. There is also a lot of hiking available at Grandfather, but probably not appropriate for small children. http://www.grandfather.com/

Have to mention Tweetsie Raliroad (a "Cowboy-Indian" themepark), which is nearby as well.

In regards to your question Kenan, it doesn't appear they have received much rain recently according to the weather station:

http://www.booneweather.com/Archive/Seven+Devils

Fingers and toes crossed our luck holds up through the weekend, but I bet it gets some wet stuff at some point.

Last edited:

hotrodmarlin

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
thinking of coming up with the family (wife, 2 1/2 year old, 3 month old) and was curious if there is stuff for them to do during the day.
Tweetsie has a Thomas the train thing going on that might fun for the 2 1/2 year old. If she comes to the race with the kids I would suggest bringing one of those tents to protect from the rain or sun and there are a couple places to set them up in the grass at the bottom of the course. My wife was pregnant and we had our 1 1/2yr old daughter there last year in the pouring rain. Thank god Merritt let us hang out under the Recycles tent.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Has it been raining at Hawksnest as much as it has in Asheville this week?

Not really...I got dumped on riding in brevard on Tuesday...black mountain was a total river. I then drove up to the bird to meet Trill and bombed hero dirt the same day.

Crashtest

Chimp
Jan 26, 2010
I'm thinking of leaving Saturday early mourning, anyone in Greenville SC, looking for a ride. I have a long bed f150 camper shell. Split gas, camp spot and beer.
josh

NC's#1Local

Chimp
Jun 4, 2010
Whats up. Just got done scouting the new "pro line" at hawksnest and to be honest...its ****. My friends and I are trying our best to support downhill in the southeast and the so called group of "Trailbuilders" desperately need a helping hand. A small handful of people cannont handle the big task of upkeep we need in the high country. Anyone calling the new additions at wilsons a bad thing needs to learn to ride a bike. I heard a kid flew up a sweet booter without scoping the lander and got muffed. Its 49% his fault and 51% his parents fault. BE MORE RESPONSIBLE. We will be swooping in one night to make a few tweaks to the trail. It is seriously lacking in its flow facto. We are hoping to have these new additions done by race day Sunday so racers your in luck! We are planning to revamp most trails in the HIGH country so your all in luck if the db is not your scene. Anyone want to ride some real trails hit me up, you can catch me on flip side........B*tches ----James Ellis

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Seriously?? If you don't like it...don't show up. Don't like what we're building? Go get something running at your own mountain and build your own. That post is ridiculous. You don't have permission to build or ride at hawksnest. If you can't flow it...it sounds like you're the one that needs to learn to ride a bike.

By the way I haven't even ridden your "new additions" at wilsons so I'm not sure what us so-called "trailbuilders" did to deserve this garbage...I stay off those BS wilson creek threads...too busy digging and riding.

PS the pro track is slated to be raced in AUGUST...so be my guest to make your tweaks...we'll have plenty of time to reverse them.

Last edited:

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Yo James Ellis

Let's go ride. I'd love to see what you have to offer us High Country riders. What trails do you have that are super flowy unlike that of the bird? Sounds like a blast.

Hit me up!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
James Ellis (if that's your real name), meet the United States Forest Service. I look forward reading another article in Bike Magazine about the legal proceedings.

Mule - thanks again for making DH racing a reality at Hawksnest, I cannot wait to pound out runs this weekend on the best track in NC. And yes, I will be bringing my obligatory sh!tty bourbon.

Shred

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Mule - thanks again for making DH racing a reality at Hawksnest, I cannot wait to pound out runs this weekend on the best track in NC. And yes, I will be bringing my obligatory sh!tty bourbon.

Shred

Thanks bud, don't forget all the work from the rest of the crew...trill will, Steven T, Scotty P, Craig, and a few others have been bustin ass to get ready!

Headed out there to put the finishing touches on everything today. Looks like the race should be going off smoothly.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Right on Mule. Big ups to Trill (looking forward to seeing him actually riding, especially with armour), the flying Frenchmen & Scotty P (the lords of Whistler), and local ripper Folsom (who I can only hope to beat nowadays if he crashes). Terrible brown spirits for the lot of you.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Whats up. Just got done scouting the new "pro line" at hawksnest and to be honest...its ****. My friends and I are trying our best to support downhill in the southeast and the so called group of "Trailbuilders" desperately need a helping hand. A small handful of people cannont handle the big task of upkeep we need in the high country. Anyone calling the new additions at wilsons a bad thing needs to learn to ride a bike. I heard a kid flew up a sweet booter without scoping the lander and got muffed. Its 49% his fault and 51% his parents fault. BE MORE RESPONSIBLE. We will be swooping in one night to make a few tweaks to the trail. It is seriously lacking in its flow facto. We are hoping to have these new additions done by race day Sunday so racers your in luck! We are planning to revamp most trails in the HIGH country so your all in luck if the db is not your scene. Anyone want to ride some real trails hit me up, you can catch me on flip side........B*tches ----James Ellis
This may be one of the greatest first posts in all of Ridemonkey history. :jester:

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
We'd like to thank everyone who's already pre-registered, that really helped us out with getting some much needed race supplies purchased. We will be closing Online pre-reg at 8pm tonight so we can have some time to get everything sorted for practice tomorrow. So now is the time to take advantage of the deal that lets you race all three DBRP races at Hawksnest this year for only $90! Just Check the events page on our website www.dirtybirddh.com for more info on that.

See ya'll tomorrow!

NC's#1Local

Chimp
Jun 4, 2010
We'd like to thank everyone who's already pre-registered, that really helped us out with getting some much needed race supplies purchased. We will be closing Online pre-reg at 8pm tonight so we can have some time to get everything sorted for practice tomorrow. So now is the time to take advantage of the deal that lets you race all three DBRP races at Hawksnest this year for only $90! Just Check the events page on our website www.dirtybirddh.com for more info on that.

See ya'll tomorrow!

HAH! $90 for a u-haul ride and a two minute track?...BOYCOTT THE "GAY BIRD"

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Anyone calling the new additions at wilsons a bad thing needs to learn to ride a bike. I heard a kid flew up a sweet booter without scoping the lander and got muffed. Its 49% his fault and 51% his parents fault. BE MORE RESPONSIBLE. James Ellis
i am that parent and i'm pretty sure my son would love to punch you in the va-jay-jay for your attempt at trail features.

i will not derail this awesome thread any further dealing with such a piece of an abortion

if you manage to show up at hawksnest, please come and find me so we can discuss your douchebaggery further. ask around for "tubby"...i'm not hard to find.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Ha, no way he would actually post his real name. Just forget about it, he's just trying to get you guys riled and start stuff. Looks like he succeeded