Quantcast

Hawksnest 2010

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Great race. I saw a minimum of 4 HD cameras on track. There should be some killer vids. Pro results were pretty much what I expected except Greg was a surprise. Congrats to him! But I actually thought Folsom would be higher. Maybe #1. One time the rest of the App State crew needs to race.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
To echo the above sentiments, great fuggin race. Course was primo on race day, and the overall event was very well done. Props to the DB crew, Good Health Natural Foods, Monster Energy, and all the other people and sponsors that made the race happen. As per the usual, my camera batts died, so this is all I got:

Sub-optimal pic of Butch (but a nice pic of my finger)

The Doug in full racer-jonny mode

Last edited:

Honkeystyle

Chimp
May 24, 2010
nc
Johnathan man you beasted. I ended up way back in the am class. My little acrobatic moment at the end didn't help my time at all. Was a blast though :)

KFC

Chimp
Jan 3, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Yeah I was also interested in my time vs. the amateur times. Pretty stoked I took 3rd in the intro class though I'm sure noone is impressed by that.

anyway, some pics courtesy of my awesome girlfriend.
Tell your girlfriend thanks for me too. Those pics of that rider getting owned in the berms is me. Any chance I can get the highres files? My email is sanders 9000 At Hotmail Dot Com

Thanks again.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I *think* that is a cowbell or some other type of noise maker. Or perhaps its a microphone and he's looking for some in-race commentary.
I don't remember hearing a thing in the rock garden. I only remember what seemed like me almost hitting the next roller after coming off that last rock drop. It felt like to could have doubled from there into that next roller. I almost blew that left hander.

The next section was a time warp for me though. I don't think I ever took the same line twice and I was always lost in there.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
^^

Yeah, you were absolutely pinned in that section (to the point I briefly considered my fate if you did something bad off that rock drop), and those 2 corners afterwards were giving a lot of fast people problems. Altho, if you're really slow like me, they're pretty easy.

Like you, I could never get anything really sorted after going left around the padded tree. Regardless, strong result Doug in a fast Pro field. Hope the shin vag is improving.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I don't remember hearing a thing in the rock garden. I only remember what seemed like me almost hitting the next roller after coming off that last rock drop. It felt like to could have doubled from there into that next roller. I almost blew that left hander.
I've always wondered if that's possible...I've seen craig get pretty damn close to landing in there. That left hander is tricky at speed if you don't double the rollers because the second roller wants to pop your rear wheel off the ground making it hard to carve the berm.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Thats comforting to know I would have fallen in your loving arms
Ha, more like 'Death by Hill Billy' (<--- c'mon, now that was clever, no?)

Mule - Craig did actually come pretty close to landing behind that roller, but he doubled it and somehow managed to rail that lefthand berm (and make the righthand corner after it). Beastly.

Again, great course and I had a total blast. Now I can finally validate getting new hoops for the DH rig :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
one ton sandbags.

intro Brandon Barber 2nd

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brandon sandbagging is like finding out Doug just became our USAC representative. ;)

Ha, awesome event guys. From top to bottom. Thanks again.
I will be buying that course a father's day present though, because it is my daddy.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
one ton sandbags.

intro Brandon Barber 2nd

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brandon sandbagging is like finding out Doug just became our USAC representative. ;)

Ha, awesome event guys. From top to bottom. Thanks again.
I will be buying that course a father's day present though, because it is my daddy.
i know..i know......i'm ashamed like the day jeremy's wife caught him in the closet with a flashlight reading the lyrics to the new justin beber album ;)

after my terrible finish in intro last year i assumed that i'd be ok there again. (in my defense, intro was explained as everything from beginner to mid-pack sport...and i consider myself delightfully average :D )

don't worry...i'll be hanging in the back of the amateur pack at the next race complaining about the experts that need to move up to pro :rofl: :D
....and i AM NOT looking forward to moving up to masters in a few years...those guys were pulling some fast times!! :thumb:

is Doug really our USAC rep?!?! :eek:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
is Doug really our USAC rep?!?! :eek:
Yes. And I recommend that we not use USAC for Beech. :p

Best quote of the weekend was Manimal asking Andy if his nails were painted to match his raceday kit. Got to hand it to Andy. He always looks the best.

Last edited:

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Helluva weekend everyone! Big ups to all the NC bike shops that hooked us up with all of our product prizes; The Cycle Path, Cycletherapy, Re:cycles, and Boone Bike.

The race ran as smoothly as I could have hoped and everyone was killin it on track:thumb:. After a much needed celebration last night it's back to the bird. I've got trail building (and shredding) on my mind!

Sheamus, I'll check for your wallet on track, hopefully it turns up.

Can't wait for the videos to come out

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Congrates to the guys for putting on what seems to have been another great race in the SouthEast!!!! Wish I could have made it but had plans to take my son Wake Boarding at the lake and then the Paris Mt. DH Race Meeting. Will try to make the next race there.

By the way what was the rider turn out?

Cecil

sheamus

Chimp
Mar 19, 2008
Athens, GA
Helluva weekend everyone! Big ups to all the NC bike shops that hooked us up with all of our product prizes; The Cycle Path, Cycletherapy, Re:cycles, and Boone Bike.

The race ran as smoothly as I could have hoped and everyone was killin it on track:thumb:. After a much needed celebration last night it's back to the bird. I've got trail building (and shredding) on my mind!

Sheamus, I'll check for your wallet on track, hopefully it turns up.

Can't wait for the videos to come out
Thanks dude. It was actually my friend's wallet and he got his wife to wire him some money so he could get home. Don't worry about looking for it, he already cancelled all of his cards and most likely bought another wallet today. Thanks for your concern though. The race was awesome by the way. It was my first downhill race on a real downhill course...great experience. I can't wait for the next one.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Congrates to the guys for putting on what seems to have been another great race in the SouthEast!!!! Wish I could have made it but had plans to take my son Wake Boarding at the lake and then the Paris Mt. DH Race Meeting. Will try to make the next race there.

By the way what was the rider turn out?

Cecil
~95 riders. Not as many as we'd hoped for but still more than enough to cover our costs.

butterNC

Chimp
Mar 3, 2009
Hey Dirty Bird crew. Thanks for letting me take my wings out and fly with yall haha.Great job running the race this weekend. Totally and always worth the trip. Keep up the good work . Getting better every time. Rain or shine will always be a good time. And by the way totally stocked up on chips now. My wife thanks you haha. Later guys Good job to everyone what a BLAST!!!!

KleinGuy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2010
Guyton, GA
Looks like I missed out on a great weekend. I was so pumped to go to my first DH race, but like normal, I was broke when it was time to go. I plan on being prepared well before the August race. I'm still waiting on a full face helmet and some other protective gear. I was so pissed that whole weekend. Riding this DH bike in the flat Savannah area sucks! Looks like it was a great time...can't wait to be there for the next one!

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
The August race at the Dirty Bird is fast approaching! With the good weather we've had in the past few weeks some serious work has gone on. The new amateur track is coming together nicely as well as the new pro track. Here are a few photos to up the stokage!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I still have the Monster Energy poster of Erika Medina hanging up in my living room. The wife hasn't taken it down yet and I put it up practice day on the last race. :thumb:

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
The stokage is high...Mike and I along with the highly motivated yet disabled one armed Trilliam built a sick new section today on the Amateur track. Rock finger drop to steep landing into a berm bank combo!