Quantcast

Hawksnest ProDH track preview video

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Here you go. The actual track will differ from the video just a little bit. It will continue straight where I dipped down onto the old track on the ski slope and go over towards a big kicker onto the next ski slope and join back into the old track near the whoops.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Just out of random, sheer curiosity, has anyone ever gapped the section that you come into at 1:16? That would be such sickness.

New track looks awesome! Can us AMs ride it just for fun?

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Some shots.

Its like a jungle up there right now but this should give you an idea of the variety we've worked into it. Lots of different skills will come into play for the win.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
yah dude that is sick! Mike you're killin it....
I gotta make this race, I know you guys think of everything
but, do you have an onsite daycare in case I can't find a sitter
for my daughter that weekend? haha can't miss this one!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
yah dude that is sick! Mike you're killin it....
I gotta make this race, I know you guys think of everything
but, do you have an onsite daycare in case I can't find a sitter
for my daughter that weekend? haha can't miss this one!
you can bring a caribiner and some rope...hook her to the zip line?
Mine would have retarded fun doing that.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I am really going to have start either traveling with you guys or just getting out on my own to attend some of these races. Looks awesome.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Ooooooh!!! Lack of twitch tight techy stuff....I'm pumped! :rockout:
You should like it. Since we separated the classes onto different tracks we could really go all out with the steep, raw terrain in the central area of the mountain. Still lots of turns but this sucker is wide (8-10 ft most of the way down) and steep the whole way down. If you play your cards right you never lose the speed you have at the top of the mountain.

We're planning on having a nice intermission between Intro/Am and Pro/JrX so everyone has plenty of time to get up to the gnarly stuff and cheer the big boys on.

Alex's teaser is SWEET! Too bad we spoiled the surprises with a full chest cam run!:D

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
Sweet. I will be looking for ya out on the course.
Stand back.

Incoming!!!....:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl: No doubt dude! I was riding the other day, got "redirected" off the trail into some trees and thought about you almost running me over last year. I kinda tripped out when that popped into my head. Maybe it was more traumatic than I remember, lol.

pic for reference:

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
That helmet cam really makes the new pro track look way easy than it does in person. It is so full of natural and man made gnar and pure steepness. It makes me so sad to be racing amateur. Both am and pro tracks look great though. They seem to be a completely different style than the original track. Lots more wideopenness and not quite as tight.

Here's a crappy camera phone shot of a manmade log garden which is like right at 43 seconds in the helmet video.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
:rofl::rofl::rofl: No doubt dude! I was riding the other day, got "redirected" off the trail into some trees and thought about you almost running me over last year. I kinda tripped out when that popped into my head. Maybe it was more traumatic than I remember, lol.

pic for reference:
Thanks for catching me (literally) at the spring race by the way.;)

And since you're here...where are those pics????:think:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
We are all about to be blessed with the presence of Mr. Robert Buchan next weekend. He's flying back from whistler for this, so if you see him, thank him for giving us the Fox 40 to hand out!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
We are all about to be blessed with the presence of Mr. Robert Buchan next weekend
Speaking of Robert, here are a few (smallish) screen captures which demonstrate why he is the heavy favorite to win Pro Cat:

Ahh, a casual cruise in Whistler with his beloved 12 year old daughter (who is really a ripper now):

Uh oh, didn't quite make that last corner :eek:

Hmm, not sure if that leg armor is going to stay in place

Nothing better than than helmet cam footy when your head is bent down to your chest :thumb:

Get stoked!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
That helmet cam really makes the new pro track look way easy than it does in person. It is so full of natural and man made gnar and pure steepness. It makes me so sad to be racing amateur. Both am and pro tracks look great though. They seem to be a completely different style than the original track. Lots more wideopenness and not quite as tight.

Here's a crappy camera phone shot of a manmade log garden which is like right at 43 seconds in the helmet video.

Nice, glad you got to check them out! After crashing in that turn from your picture on about 50% of my attempts to ride it, I caved and built a berm in it. Lots faster now.

It shouldn't be a problem for you to ride the pro track for fun in practice.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Nice, glad you got to check them out! After crashing in that turn from your picture on about 50% of my attempts to ride it, I caved and built a berm in it. Lots faster now.

It shouldn't be a problem for you to ride the pro track for fun in practice.
So your saying the picture I have of that section is before you bermed it out. I know when I saw it there was sort of somewhat of a possible berm which made it look like it would be super hard to make the turn cause it was like a pretty long jump onto a hump into a hard left turn that seemed like it would be impossible to make unless you cased the jump to scrub your speed.

I walked it with steven and mike like the day before the first beech mtn race so I'm sure lots of stuff has changed and gotten better.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
So the am. course is going to new too? Any previews of how it's going to be for the slow ones like me..>
better get stoked for it

I've only walked these courses. no riding but the am course should be sick too. It's a lot like the pro course except everything is just toned down a bit and not as steep. its got a good mix of berms, jumps, rocks, and drops but nothing that was built to be overly difficult at the level the pro course is. If I remember right there were even a few areas on the am course that mimick quite closely stuff thats on the pro course except its just easier to ride it.

Last edited:

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
So who races the Pro course...just Pro or Pro and Cat 1?
The dirty bird isn't directly affiliated with USAC, thus no licenses are required and we won't be using those classes.

Racing categories, as far as I know, include Pro (all ages) Pro women, Junior Expert, Junior, and then the Amateur classes (essentially cat 1/2) followed by intro classes (comparatively cat 3) There will also be a masters class. I believe one must be over 35 (maybe 40?) to race this class, and all masters will race the Salamander Slide.

Anybody from any class is welcome to ride either track during practice!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Can a master sign up for both pro and masters? Maybe an extra 10 spot to do both? Me and Andy would love to do that.
I think I'll make an executive decision and say you need to do either one or the other. Ya'll are still up to "Pro" speed at our local SE races so why not let it ride?

edit: This is Trill Will, I was just using the Mulestar's computer because his likes to finagle the neighbors internet better than mine.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Money might talk but that would be a dick move in my opinion. butch your time at the first dirty bird was 30 seconds faster than the winning masters time. Either you call yourself a pro and race with people within your skill level or just back down to amateur if you want to podium really badly. you still would have been 2nd or 3rd in amateur. why do you want to beat up so bad on the masters category just because your age qualifies you. I feel its bull**** and unfair to what the spirit of the masters category is made for. basically a class filled with people that have been riding for a long time so they don't really fit into the beginner class but don't have the seriousness about racing that would require entering in pro or amateur/cat1..semi pro. I feel as if since this isn't a norba race junior amateur is basically the old jrx and amateur over 18 should be people that would be racing either cat 1 or semi pro.

just IMO but it's whatever. I just don't see the point in trying to beat up on people that are actually racing masters for a reason not just another chance to get a timed run and most likely win.

haha oops I was looking at the wrong time sets but I still stand by what i said. I feel you oughta just pick and choose. either race pro or masters. it makes classes meaningless for the race if you let people enter multiple categories.

Last edited: