Quantcast

hayes break lever

Freefall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
Prince George B.C.
I searched but couldn't find anything for this.

I had a pretty hard crash yesterday and managed to rip the lever outwards on my hfx-9 rear. The washer and snap ring were bent pretty bad since the ball that pushes the plunger back came right out. The owner of the hill grinded a pair of needle nose plyers down since he didn't have snap ring plyers and I was able to remove the washer and snap ring and hammer them flat. I got it all back toghether and it looked good as new. I was good for about 4 more runs. I took the steepest one at the hill and its pretty heavy on the breaks for my 5th run and my rear break seemed to cease up in the lever. The actual lever itself could swing freely but it was obviouse the breaks were locked on and not springing back. I think the plunger somehow got ceased in place.

I know that the washer didn't slide back and block the plunger because I can see its right in place and doesn't move.

The pressure has now came off my back breaks and I can use them now but its like there is a bunch of fluid missing or something becuase the leaver doesn't spring back all the way forward it moves with no resistance most of the way until you can feel the rod hit the plunger.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You've blown the piston assembly return spring system. You can get this piece and just replace it in the lever.

I've done this plenty of times, it's not that big of a deal. Like you, I've gotten the broken one to work kind of half a$$ed but it never really functioned properly again. It's best to just replace it and avoid it locking up again while you're riding.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
sirknight6 said:
I replaced the washer and clip ring with some high tempered steel ones I found locally, and have not had a problem since.
Did you have to remove the piston to do this?

I've broken a few on some older style mags that I'm pretty sure the piston assembly still works on. Where did you find yours? Hardware store?

Freefall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
Prince George B.C.
kidwoo said:
You've blown the piston assembly return spring system. You can get this piece and just replace it in the lever.

I've done this plenty of times, it's not that big of a deal. Like you, I've gotten the broken one to work kind of half a$$ed but it never really functioned properly again. It's best to just replace it and avoid it locking up again while you're riding.

How do I get the old one out? If I remove the clip ring and washer and pull out the rod that pushes the piston I will be able to see it but since it wont spring back how do I get it to come out?
I guess this probably means I'l have to buy a bleed kit too

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Freefall said:
How do I get the old one out? If I remove the clip ring and washer and pull out the rod that pushes the piston I will be able to see it but since it wont spring back how do I get it to come out?
I guess this probably means I'l have to buy a bleed kit too
The way to take them out is to remove the hose, then if I'm remembering correctly, there should be a nut that is holding in the piston. Removing this nut should release it. I'm having trouble visualizing the 9's and not getting them confused with the mags that I've worked on a million times so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
kidwoo said:
Did you have to remove the piston to do this?

I've broken a few on some older style mags that I'm pretty sure the piston assembly still works on. Where did you find yours? Hardware store?

Actually, an auto parts store, but of the mom and pop type. If you contact Hayes, they will actually send you some heat treated washers. I ended up buying a clip ring wrench and carry that with a bunch of spares. The clip ring, while it bet out, it was the clipping when it bent that cause the problem and did not allow the plunger to go back into position.

The other thing is that Hayes does not replace the clip ring. So it was something that needed to be upgraded. be real careful in replacing it, as the sizes can be real close but not actually fit. It is rather time consuming, but well worth it if you don't want to replace the levers.

Since I beefed up the clip ring and the washer, it works like a charm, and has never been an issue ever since.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
easy cheap fix for this is using the threaded collar that comes with presta valves instead of the flimsy washer you had problems with.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
The best fix for your problem (now and in the future) is to replace your HFX9 levers with Mag assemblies. Obviously this isn't the cheapest option, but the Mag is a much more durable lever body. The 9's work well in most situations, but that c-clip thing seems to go south pretty regularly in the right type of crash. I haven't tried alternate clips though, so that might take the cake in terms of cost-effective analysis.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You can call Hayes and they'll send you the pieces you need (the C-Clip and washer). They don't even charge shipping.

Freefall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
Prince George B.C.
I dont have any problems with the washer or c clip since I flattened them out. This is the first time its happened to me and although they pop out alot its easy to get them back in my problem is just the piston getting jammed this time and I think its pretty uncommon. If I have to buy any parts though I'l probably just get new levers i guess. I dont think the washers are responsible for the piston not springing back it must be something else. I called hayes and they suggested I take the washers out and pull out the piston since its probably dirty. I dont know how I got dirt in there but I guess its possible.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Freefall said:
I dont have any problems with the washer or c clip since I flattened them out. This is the first time its happened to me and although they pop out alot its easy to get them back in my problem is just the piston getting jammed this time and I think its pretty uncommon. If I have to buy any parts though I'l probably just get new levers i guess. I dont think the washers are responsible for the piston not springing back it must be something else. I called hayes and they suggested I take the washers out and pull out the piston since its probably dirty. I dont know how I got dirt in there but I guess its possible.

The metal is already stressed, so bending it back only prolongs the inevitable. I chose to get my own washer and clip ring that was stronger than what Hayes sent. Cheep and permanent fix.