Quantcast

Hayes Disk Brake Break In

Jon Kerr

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
I got the bike I'm riding right now used. (04 Gary Fisher Cake3) It's the first bike I've had with disks brakes. It's got Hayes HFX 9 brakes on it. I'm going to be replacing the pads and rotors as the rotors are looking a bit worn and both have a bit of a wobble to them. Plus, I don't think they're Hayes rotors. They don't look like any of the Hayes I've seen available and they don't say any manufacturer name on them. I was wondering what's the best way to break in new brakes. Also, will I need to bleed them again once I get new components in there that are full thickness?

I'm still a rookie when it comes to working on my own bikes. I've always just taken it in to a shop for anything I need done. So if this is a stupid noob quesiton, sorry.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Rotors are rotors, just different thicknesses. As long as the diameter is right, you can use any rotor for any brake.

Unless the rotors are warped or grooved badly, I don't think you'd have to replace them, unless, of course, you want to. You won't have to bleed the brakes, just make sure you squeeze the pistons back into the calipers. Use a large flat head screwdriver with the old pads in the caliper and push the pistons back.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I break in my pads by finding a long downhill and gently dab 'em on the way down. No need to crank down on the lever, just use them normally a bunch of times.