Quantcast

Hayes Dominion Bleeding

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So while bleeding the front brake, I was applying some slight pressure to one of the syringes when all of a sudden fluid started coming out from under the cap circled in the picture below.

I stopped, cleaned up the fluid, made sure nothing was still leaking and then finished up the job.

Now that front lever feels incredibly stiff and quick to engage, when pulled, and when compared to the rear brake.

I bled both brakes again, just to be sure. Same thing.

Could there be fluid stuck under that cap, on the wrong side of the diaphragm, causing it to feel overfilled? To note, when I pull the lever, nothing leaves from it - I flicked and pulled it quite a bit.

One thing I didn't do on either brake is turn the pad contact adjuster. Does that have a big affect on the feel of these brakes? I'm used to the pad contact doing nothing on my Shimanos...

Tips? Did I fuckup the lever? Yay nay?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Having over filled a brake before it sounds like you overfilled your brake. I'd take the resevoir cover off and see what is going on, shouldn't affect the bleed.

If you touch the pad adjust I'd paint mark it to make sure you can get it back to normal, have read it is more of a factory adjustment rather than an actual user adjustment.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Having over filled a brake before it sounds like you overfilled your brake. I'd take the resevoir cover off and see what is going on, shouldn't affect the bleed.

If you touch the pad adjust I'd paint mark it to make sure you can get it back to normal, have read it is more of a factory adjustment rather than an actual user adjustment.
I'll take the cover off and see what's going on. If overfilled, where does that fluid go and why doesn't it come out when I open the bleed port?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I opened up both the levers and seated the front reservoir and diaphragm just to be safe. Also cleaned up any fluid from under the covers. They both looked the same, so who knows.

Anyways....I bled the rear brake again (and the front..no change..) and a ton of air came out. Maybe I just didn't spend enough time yesterday making sure ALL the air was out. I applied a slight vacuum to the lever syringe and that seemed to do the trick.

Now both brakes feel pretty much the same. And firm. :)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No I just bled one side of the caliper; Hayes and others mention not needing to do both sides of the caliper, unless the fluid was drained or as last resort. I only cut the brake lines so the fluid should have stayed in them..

I had Shimano XTs previously.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Has anyone picked up a set of these OE versions from Chainreaction or anywhere?

Just wondering if there is an olive hiding under the compression nut?

And the brake line is plugged, so I assume it's filled with fluid... This one is going on a small sized frame, so I assume I'll have to trim the line...double assuming that the barb in there isn't removable, though I guess I can cut it out.

Also yeah to confirm, these calipers don't fit on the post mount adapters that came on the bike with Sram brakes.