Quantcast

hayes stoker trail?

cannonfodder

Chimp
Mar 4, 2010
I'm sure this has been covered, but I tried to use the search function and it wouldn't work for me. It just sent me to a blank page.

I'm building up a bike for the last month and a bit of the season. I'm down to deciding on brakes, I don't really want to turn this into a "what to get" thread, but I have a chance to get a really good deal on a set of Hayes Stroker Trail's. I was wondering what your guys opinion was on them?

I'll be riding all mountain/freeride with a bit of DH thrown in. Basically North Shore, with some Squamish thrown in for you PNWer's.
They'll either be going on a Cannondale Judge, or RM Slayer. Haven't decided which.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The first generation were garbage. The levers wouldn't return after awhile. Hayes sent out "fix it" kits and they only worked for awhile, too. Then they changed something mid year and they are good to go. I sent mine in and they sent me the updated version no questions asked. They even sent me 2 new 8" rotors and 4 sets of pads for my troubles. Hayes customer service rocks. I say get em. Mine have seen two seasons and over 30 resort days and are great.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
A friend of mine has these. His rotors make a horrible grinding noise... I joked that they sound a bit like the aliens in District9. Is this just his setup or do your rotors make a similar sound.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
The trails rock. Get 'em!

A friend of mine has these. His rotors make a horrible grinding noise... I joked that they sound a bit like the aliens in District9. Is this just his setup or do your rotors make a similar sound.
Sounds like things are set up incorrectly, or that his pads are worn.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have found the semi-metalic brake pads work a lot better and they are a lot quieter.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
They're pretty solid. I'm pretty happy and content now that I'm on stronger saints (new), but I never noticed any weakness or fade or arm pump when I had them. Go for it.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I ran mine a full season with no issues and no maintenance problems. I switched to Aces when they became available and gave the Stroker Trails to my son. The Trails are still going strong on his Bullit with no issues and no maint. problems.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have first gen trails on my Blindside, they have lived a very rough life. Been through four or five sets of pads front and rear...... Still work great, still stop my fat ass at 266 pounds from hauling ass to dead stop.