Quantcast

Hayes Stroker opinions/reviews?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not just Hayes only but I wish they would go back to old style clamping as we all now ride with the lockon grips. Who anyway has to change brakes all the time. The two bolt clamp limits the positioning of the brakes in relation to the shifter.

Maybe I should just run my old purple Hayes which has the single bolt clamp.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Not just Hayes only but I wish they would go back to old style clamping as we all now ride with the lockon grips. Who anyway has to change brakes all the time. The two bolt clamp limits the positioning of the brakes in relation to the shifter.

Maybe I should just run my old purple Hayes which has the single bolt clamp.
too bad old hayes suck donkey balls

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Question for you, on your rear 185, do your pads sit up about 2mm over the rotor? Also what bike are you riding? I started with a 185 in the rear, but the pads were overlapping the rotor byu about 2mm, Ended up getting an 8 in kit to replace it. Hayes gave me an entirely new kit and mount for free. Good people to work with
Sorry it took me so long to reply.

Yes they did sit higher than the rotor by 1mm-2mm. I machined a little more than 1mm off the adaptor and it's golden. Stopping power hasn't changed at all since machining the adaptor down but it will prevent weird pad wear.

I'd go 203mm on the back but I don't need it at all. The 185mm is more than big enough.

I've been struck with upgrade-itis though and I'm leaning toward the Formula Megas. I'd love to get the '09 Saints when they are released too...:crazy:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've been struck with upgrade-itis though and I'm leaning toward the Formula Megas. I'd love to get the '09 Saints when they are released too...:crazy:
Hahaha, my bike came with stroke trails, had the same thing, and I already had some codes, so i swapped them out. unfortunately I sold my strokers to my friend, and later decided I liked the trails better, so I bought a new set.

from everything I hear the saints are too strong - run a smaller rotor and they overheat, run a larger roter and modulation goes down the john.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Hmm well, maybe the Formulas then. Shoot, I'll probably just stick with the strokers, they've been good to me so far.

The only thing I'd like to change about my Trails is having a fatter lever blade and less play in the lever. I don't notice the play while I'm riding, just while I'm OCDing over every little bit of my rig.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Sorry it took me so long to reply.

Yes they did sit higher than the rotor by 1mm-2mm. I machined a little more than 1mm off the adaptor and it's golden. Stopping power hasn't changed at all since machining the adaptor down but it will prevent weird pad wear.

I'd go 203mm on the back but I don't need it at all. The 185mm is more than big enough.

Ah yes, Found out its a rotor problem, I did the same thing, machined down a mount to make them fit proper untill Hayes could get me a new set. Worked great, but now the pads ride on the spoke of the rotor. The problem is the width of the contract area on the rotor, hayes is still working that one out.

Someone mentioned the gurglig sound...... Hayes is working on a new pad compound for that as well.... I am waiting for a set of pads to test out as soon as they have something for me.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Awesome news about the new pads. I'm not picky about my brakes but getting rid of that gurgling sound on the mPire just by swapping pads would be (.Y.)'s!

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I have the Stroker Trail brakes as well on my M6. I don't like them at all. I just had the guys at the Hayes trailer work on them at the Snowmass MSC race and they are still not right. My problem is with the Lever being Squishy. Because of this feel I haven't been able to get an actual guage as to it's power and modulation. The brakes as they currently are feel horrible. I've given up and I'm planning to replace them as soon as I can with the '09 Saint Brakes.
A couple of other riders on our team have the same brakes and have experienced the same issue. Hayes was able to fix their brakes and they now feel great compared to mine.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I have the Stroker Trail brakes as well on my M6. I don't like them at all. I just had the guys at the Hayes trailer work on them at the Snowmass MSC race and they are still not right. My problem is with the Lever being Squishy. Because of this feel I haven't been able to get an actual guage as to it's power and modulation. The brakes as they currently are feel horrible. I've given up and I'm planning to replace them as soon as I can with the '09 Saint Brakes.
A couple of other riders on our team have the same brakes and have experienced the same issue. Hayes was able to fix their brakes and they now feel great compared to mine.
I just shortened my rear hose and though that I did a good bleed. Felt okay for an hour or so then started to get squishy. A good bleed is key. Hayes has a vid on youtube on how to bleed the strokers. The part where they move the lever to point straight up then straight down along with snapping the lever is important and necessary to remove all of the air in the MC. Got a good bleed and the rear now has a firm pull and good bite.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
I did search and didn't find very much. Anyone have any time on them? Weight seems reasonable, but from what I did read and with Hayes reputation I'm considering just keeping my Juicy 5 and getting new pads/lines/and maybe levers.

Just buy new Juicy 7's and you are all set.