Quantcast

hayes to coda conversion

proanti1

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
i have a chance to get some new coda brakes levers, will they work with the hayes discs and calipers? the coda levers are brand new, just recalled cause they busted a line, so i have a chance to get em free! i think i may have to use some sorta converter though. id use the entire system, except they wont work with marzocchi, my frame, and the discs are 4 hole, not 6.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I believe coda's use mineral oil, not dot fluid, so you're going to ruin the seals after a while. It's not going to explode when you install them, but don't expect them to last too long, and you damn well better check your brakes every time you ride, as someday you may hop on it and the seals may blow as soon as you need the brakes to work, dumping oil all over your bike/rotor/bloody elbows.

Of course the question begs to be asked;

Why bother?

Coda brakes were hated by everybody including cannondale riders. You're better off saving $30 and buying a used set of levers for hayes, a complete set of hayes, or a set of avid mechanicals. If you're on a budget, avids blow away anything short of a full set of hayes top of the line hydros. i'd trade my hayes/hope setup for a mechanical setup any day.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Sandwich said:
I believe coda's use mineral oil, not dot fluid, so you're going to ruin the seals after a while. It's not going to explode when you install them, but don't expect them to last too long, and you damn well better check your brakes every time you ride, as someday you may hop on it and the seals may blow as soon as you need the brakes to work, dumping oil all over your bike/rotor/bloody elbows.

Of course the question begs to be asked;

Why bother?

Coda brakes were hated by everybody including cannondale riders. You're better off saving $30 and buying a used set of levers for hayes, a complete set of hayes, or a set of avid mechanicals. If you're on a budget, avids blow away anything short of a full set of hayes top of the line hydros. i'd trade my hayes/hope setup for a mechanical setup any day.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Not only, in all likelihood, will it not work, but Coda brakes were terrible. Terrible power, lever feel etc....

proanti1

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
okay, i guess i wont put em on there. i just liked em because they were all machined out and stuff. thats what asking is for right :cool:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
On a quicker not of them working or not working.....You can run the Coda system with Hayes roters....... solves your 4 bolt 6 bolt troubles But yes The coda are not the brake to run...... about the seals.. they will not make it one run if you use the wrong fluid... i am An auto tech and Ill tell ya cars use DoT 3 and 4 for the most part..... there are a few using Some synthetic DoT5 But they are in no way at all compatible the seals are COmpletly different compounds you can see teh differnce in teh rubber in a matter of 15 minutes..... So if you use the DoT4 on mineral oil rings youll Prolly wont have brakes by the time you go on first ride DoT3-4 = Glycol based fluid DoT5= synthetic Mineral= just that its Oil.......Glycol is teh same stuff you use to make antifreeze
________
ROOR BONGS

Last edited: