Quantcast

hayes vs. hopes? whats the big deal?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
So I can't really understand the big battle or whatever with the buy hopes stuff all over? What is so great about hopes I mean I hear there sweet and stuff but ive never ridden them. How do they compare to the feel of hayes? Are the MM4 that hard to bleed like ive seen before? Im considering new breakes but I can't decide between XTs, MM4 or save some money and get hayes mag.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Hopes are definitely more complicated to bleed than Hayes, but they really aren't that bad. Hopes have a very different feel from Hayes, and the levers are a much better shape also. Are you planning on putting these brakes on a DH bike? If you are, I would recomend against the Shimanos. I personally have Hopes on my dh bike, and Hayes on my slalom bike. From now on I'm buying Hopes, I really don't like the Hayes anymore.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've had both. I have hayes on both of my bikes right now. If I had the money (in addition to everything else that I'd buy) I would put hopes back on my bikes.

Hopes seem to cut through bad conditions (wet, mud, etc) more consistantly for me. This seems to be one area where there was a pretty big difference. The other difference is modulation. My hopes never modulated quite as good as the gustavs that I had, but they were definitly better than the hayes for modulation. Whatever it is that you use, you do get used to it, but just going from a "static" condition using hayes and hopes, the hopes have more modulation, no question. Since my hopes had the Pro lever, maint and bleeding was real easy. No tools required for bleeding with my hopes. I just bled my hayes the other day, I think I did it right, but it is more difficult and requires more positioning to make it go right. The hope system was simple, and I never had to do any maint on them. I hope my current hayes get the same kind of pad-life, the hopes just went forever on one set of pads.

Hopes are worth it it you have the $$$ for them, if you don't then it will never really be worth it, so get the hayes, they aren't bad.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by biker3
So I can't really understand the big battle or whatever with the buy hopes stuff all over? What is so great about hopes I mean I hear there sweet and stuff but ive never ridden them. How do they compare to the feel of hayes? Are the MM4 that hard to bleed like ive seen before? Im considering new breakes but I can't decide between XTs, MM4 or save some money and get hayes mag.
Whats so great about Hopes.............. Try them and you'll understand. They aren't hard to bleed, it may take a little practice, but after you do it a few times its real easy. They are a little more time comsuming to set up, but once thats done they are awesome.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I've run both. I ran Hopes for years. Then switched to Hayes a couple of seasons ago. Why? The Hayes work. The Hopes didn't. Are Hayes better? No, just easier. I had to fiddle with my Hopes all the time to keep them working. When they did work, the power is much better than Hayes and easier to modulate, IMO.

But I haven't touched my Hayes at all in 2 seasons of riding and racing. Even the pads are original.

Anymore I recommend Hayes simply because parts are easier to come by, easier to set-up (Avids are tops there, however) and they are cheaper.

I always found Hopes to be easier to bleed than Hayes, but Hopes bleed like automotive brakes which I had more experience with (Shimanos bleed the same as Hopes, btw).

Also Hayes are more quiet than Hopes. At the NCS races I've been to, you could hear a Hope rider long before you could see him - and these were guys with "Hope" emblazened across thier jerseys. If they can't make the damn things quiet...

Were I to start it all over again, I'd get the new Gustavs. More power with better modulation than either and they have made great strides with the early reliability issues.

All I can end with is it will be a cold day in Hell before I mount another Hope brake on my bike.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm starting to think there might be something special about Hope brakes because of the non-stop Hope harrassment from Brian HCM#1 and his cronies. I mean, you don't see people freaking out about Hayes do you? Being a die-hard Hayes user, I'm curious to see how Hopes work.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
I'm starting to think there might be something special about Hope brakes because of the non-stop Hope harrassment from Brian HCM#1 and his cronies. I mean, you don't see people freaking out about Hayes do you? Being a die-hard Hayes user, I'm curious to see how Hopes work.
Try them, you'll like them.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Li'l Dave
Hopes are definitely more complicated to bleed than Hayes.
I disagree...Hopes are simpler, but once you figure out the syringe process for Hayes, it's much faster and neater.

That said, neither is that bad once you're good at it. But when I close up my Hopes, I can always wonder if there's air in there somewhere. With the Hayes, having forced fluid through with some pressure, I'm 99% sure my bleed is perfect.

MD

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Isn't the relentless hope hypeing just a form of rhetoric at this point. Brian has been harping on people about using hopes since the day I joined RM, recently a few have joined him in his quest to demolish hayes. To me it's more of an inside joke worn very very thin than an actual statement of one brand's superiority over another. The bottom line is that any of the big name hydraulic brakes will work well, some have better modulation, some have more brute stopping force, some are easier to setup, some are easier to bleed, and others need less mantinance. So it's all about what you can afford and what team's colors you like the best.

Don't worry about it too much. No matter what you get there will be something better for the right price.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Kornphlake
Isn't the relentless hope hypeing just a form of rhetoric at this point. Brian has been harping on people about using hopes since the day I joined RM, recently a few have joined him in his quest to demolish hayes. To me it's more of an inside joke worn very very thin than an actual statement of one brand's superiority over another. The bottom line is that any of the big name hydraulic brakes will work well, some have better modulation, some have more brute stopping force, some are easier to setup, some are easier to bleed, and others need less mantinance. So it's all about what you can afford and what team's colors you like the best.

Don't worry about it too much. No matter what you get there will be something better for the right price.
Who pee pee'd in your Cheereos this morning? The buy Hope is a joke, do I use them exclusively............yes. Why? out of all the brakes I've ridden I found Hope to be the best at least for me. Several people here will agree to the samething, several won't. We're all here to have a good time and talk bikes. Look though how many people have been trying Hopes as of recent and liking them. I just feel Hope makes a great product and backs it up with great customer service. What more could anyone ask for. If you're happy with Hayes or Avids, then great as long as they can stop you its all good.:)

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
....yes, I must say, I have used about every brake out there (at least once). Recently I was lured into buying the newer Hopes (mono mini) & have been very pleased. I had heard all the naysaying & was nearly talked out of it, but I am glad I wasn't. The setup was cake (I am used to shimano, grimeca ....etc.) & my set have worked flawless for 6 mos. without noise or squealing. Bleeding is also cake, really. If you have ever bled auto brakes, then it is quite simple. My mono's have a comparable modulation to my XT's & a bit more power. Overall, the refined look & feel of the brakes is very nice (not to mention reservoir/ lever bodies that can withstand a little spilled fluid without marring the finish). Long term durability/ reliability is yet to be determined. Currently I run Hayes 8" on the DH, Shimano XT's on the HT & 180/160 Mono Mini's on my trailbike. I am very pleased with all of them for their respective applications.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Who pee pee'd in your Cheereos this morning? The buy Hope is a joke, do I use them exclusively............yes. Why? out of all the brakes I've ridden I found Hope to be the best at least for me. Several people here will agree to the samething, several won't. We're all here to have a good time and talk bikes. Look though how many people have been trying Hopes as of recent and liking them. I just feel Hope makes a great product and backs it up with great customer service. What more could anyone ask for. If you're happy with Hayes or Avids, then great as long as they can stop you its all good.:)
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a big jerk, just wanted to point out to the newbie or otherwise unaware monkey that hopes aren't necessarily the be all and end all of breaks. Sure they may work well and they have good customer service... Still like you say it's just a joke, it's not obligatory that all RM members use hope.:thumb:

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Its not like i was thinking of getting hopes just cause these guys are going on about them. I just wanted more info on the brakes specifically with performance and bleed issues. I figured it was all just fun and games i just wanted the low down on hope brakes seing as ive never pulled a hope lever.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Its not like i was thinking of getting hopes just cause these guys are going on about them. I just wanted more info on the brakes specifically with performance and bleed issues. I figured it was all just fun and games i just wanted the low down on hope brakes seing as ive never pulled a hope lever.
Again they are great brakes, just make sure you don't have Acadian bleed them;) :p

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
I had al 3 sets, Hayes, Hope, and XT.

The Shimano's SUCK big time!, although they do work better with Goodridge hoses.

I have Hayes Mag on my DH and Dual Bike, and recently got a set of Hope M4 (Could get them cheap)

They all work good, but the bleeding of Hayes is WAY!!!!! easier.

Other than that, you can't go wrong with either Hope or Hayes

If you go for Hayes,get the GRC Moto levers, they rock! Way better feel!

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Im sure in the Hope manual they suggest bleeding brakes every 4 years !

I have had mine for 2 years. Fit and forget as far as i'm concerned.

I reckon both Hayes and Hope are fit and forget, unless you are unlucky enough to have a set that has problems from the start.

However I would guess from what I have read on forums that Hopes tend to have more sets with such initial problems than Hayes do.

I have never used Hayes just pulled the lever (and thats not a real life test of course) but just from pulling the lever Hayes feel astonishingly different to Hope.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Lumpy_Gravy
I have had mine for 2 years. Fit and forget as far as i'm concerned.

I reckon both Hayes and Hope are fit and forget, unless you are unlucky enough to have a set that has problems from the start.

yeh my Hayes were ok for 2 years without intervention, but they do accumulate crap in the lines over time making the next bleed tricky, so it might be best to clean out every year.

Although chances are, you'll snap a line or break something in those 2 years

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Christiaan
If you go for Hayes,get the GRC Moto levers, they rock! Way better feel!
I think Hayes has some new lever blades in the works;) Jared Rando had some interesting levers on his DH rig this weekend, and they looked late in the proto stage, even had the logos screened on:cool:

Hayes are retarded easy to work on, get parts for and take a beating better than a red-headed stepchild. They are pretty strong too. And Modultaion is SO overrated:p

As for Hopes:rolleyes: Just retarded:D J/K Hope Militia, I bought a book on how to be witty on the internet with all the money I had left over from not buying Hopes:D <zark scampers off before the flame war ensues>

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Zark
I think Hayes has some new lever blades in the works;) Jared Rando had some interesting levers on his DH rig this weekend, and they looked late in the proto stage, even had the logos screened on:cool:

Hayes are retarded easy to work on, get parts for and take a beating better than a red-headed stepchild. They are pretty strong too. And Modultaion is SO overrated:p

As for Hopes:rolleyes: Just retarded:D J/K Hope Militia, I bought a book on how to be witty on the internet with all the money I had left over from not buying Hopes:D <zark scampers off before the flame war ensues>
For those remarks I'm not going to let you wait for me next time we ride at N*;)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have Hayes on both bikes but there's somethings I can see what causes a difference in hayes vs. hope brakes.

Hope brakes are strictly aftermarket. No bike comes stock with Hope brakes. Most bikes will come with Hayes/Shimano disc brakes. That's one nitch with Hayes over Hopes.

I know part wise most LBS unless someone is big into Hope's won't carry many spares. I imagine you might find brake pads (maybe) but otherwise spare parts are gonna be an Online thing. Hayes on the other hand most shops will have some spare parts for Hayes. Again, Hayes might be better if spare parts etc...become a problem.

As far as which one's better I can't say. I think Hope's are equally as good as Hayes or any other brake out there. I mean when it comes down to it they both will stop, they both use brake fluid, they both are expensive, they both have many odd-ball parts. They are both brakes. Just some prefer Hope's over Hayes.

If Hope was more supported like Hayes were I imagine that I'd have Hope brakes. I just like the way they look more so than Hayes. :) Mono6's are sick!

Don't be biased though. Pick what fits your budget and what you can get support for. Nothing is gonna be worse then something you can't fix or know someone who can fix.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
For those remarks I'm not going to let you wait for me next time we ride at N*;)
I'd have to have a bike first:dead:
Any idea when North* opens? So I can give Intense a deadline:angry:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have only seen one set of Hopes in person in all my years riding and it was a pair of Mini's in the display case at Universal Cycles. My lbs doesn't carry them, that's why I run Hayes. All the guys at the shop run Shimano somethings (Saint, XT, Deore) with different levers.

I had Avids on my Azonic and liked 'em. I've had Hayes on 4 bikes now and know all the ins and outs, so I've had no reason to change.

I would like to try Hopes if someone carried 'em (and they didn't cost twice what I paid for my Hayes). I guess I'm just not that picky about it though.

Wow, this post was pointless...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Again they are great brakes, just make sure you don't have Acadian bleed them;) :p
just make sure you don't get goodridge lines.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i dont know...but i got raped on jagwire hydro line by my lbs....

biker3

Turbo Monkey
and what about mono6 ti's are they just overkill? I only weigh 135 and i ride a 38ibs gemini. Should i just save the cash and go for MM4? I work at a shop so price isnt really an issue. What about gustav's ive heard they have reliablitly issues but there cleared up now? Thanks and whats the deal with the adaptor for the mono6 dont they run like a 205mm rotor?

thanks for the input

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
and what about mono6 ti's are they just overkill? I only weigh 135 and i ride a 38ibs gemini. Should i just save the cash and go for MM4? I work at a shop so price isnt really an issue. What about gustav's ive heard they have reliablitly issues but there cleared up now? Thanks and whats the deal with the adaptor for the mono6 dont they run like a 205mm rotor?

thanks for the input
M6's are a 205mm rotor, you can change adaptors for different applications. The M4's are 1 piece with a max rotor of 200mm. I have the M6's and no they aren't overkill. The M4's will also work fine.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Acadian
werd...they cost me a little fortune, reason why I WANT to use them. :(
Give me one shot at them, if they don't work, I'll reinstall and bleed your other lines for you. Therefore you won't have to get your hands dirty, and you can have a Newcastle or B&T while I'm working on them.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Give me one shot at them, if they don't work, I'll reinstall and bleed your other lines for you. Therefore you won't have to get your hands dirty, and you can have a Newcastle or B&T while I'm working on them.

damn acadian got himself his own mechanic! :D

brian, would you consider a small "roadtrip" to bleed my hopes too? ;)