Quantcast

HD DVD ~vs~ Blu-Ray; a Lounge Discussion

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Its VHS vs Beta all over again. My money is on the HD DVD... Its what people are accustom to (i.e. DVD and HD). Really though its all about the companies that make the movies, what they publish on is what the standard will become.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Both are retarded. The amount of DRM bull**** and HDCP computer compliance needed are ridiculous. Anyone who buys into either format at this point in time is a moron.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
i dont have a hd dvd player... are they all the much better than standard?
You won't get a true HD image without one...even if your current player upscales it's not the same. I'm waiting it out. Our DVD player crapped out last month and I replaced it with a cheap Sony. I'm not willing to put my money on either format right now. Universal players would remove some shyness about upgrading to HD/Blu , but probably not the most ideal remedy.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Both are retarded. The amount of DRM bull**** and HDCP computer compliance needed are ridiculous. Anyone who buys into either format at this point in time is a moron.
Yes, because you should just be allowed to copy a raw digital signal as it comes down the line...no DRM at all means you would get a PERFECT 100% master of the original you could copy endlessly without any degradation. They would be stupid to let it happen.

99% of 1080p Tvs have HDCP compliancy. HDCP only blocks 1080p on non hdcp compliant devices...so it isn't really a problem unless you have some no name POS lcd or something anyways.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
no it's not.

dual-format players are already on the way to the market.
There's some information out that says they aren't all they claim to be. The LG BH100 for instance allegedly doesn't include the HDi features.
Broadcom is developing a chip that is supposed to play both and players were estimated to be on shelves by this summer. Marantz has a universal player I hope they add HDDVD/Bluray to.
I haven't been impressed with the reliablity of anything I've seen made by LG.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
so ur sayin bluray can output 4k?

:think:
A) Yes. All they need is more storage space, which is being addressed by 4-layer discs.

B) Even if they couldn't, a resolution can't replace a physical media. It's like saying, "gasoline is obsolete. Electricity will replace Ford F150s."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A) Yes. All they need is more storage space, which is being addressed by 4-layer discs.

B) Even if they couldn't, a resolution can't replace a physical media. It's like saying, "gasoline is obsolete. Electricity will replace Ford F150s."
resolution is one parameter of the format. can it be changed? sure. but streaming is taking over. it's just more convenient than physical media.

worth noting: netflix is already starting to stream a very very few titles in 4k

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i have 8 devices in my house that can play DVDs

that's 1 for each disk i've played for all of 2013, if we're rounding up to 0x1

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
By the time I streamed a 4K video in Australia 32K res would be out, buying discs is the only option for good quality video here. I am happy enough with old DVD discs, though I am still bummed DVD A never took off, wasted $1100 on that gamble haha!

With all these new standards Shimano might have to start thinking about making appliances.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
4K hasnt been the highest resolution for several years now. its just a stepping stone for 8K. hell, my old company had 4K demo sets nearly 8 years ago. and yes, BD's will support UltraHD shortly

I am happy enough with old DVD discs, though I am still bummed DVD A never took off, wasted $1100 on that gamble haha!
DVD-A and SACD formats were doomed from the start

Last edited: