Quantcast

HD Helmet Cam Footage

RSutton1223

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
Got a chance to play with my new ContourHD from VholdR at a little local spot. This cam blows my VIO 1.5 and GoPro 5mp away by a large margin.

Bike was a Kona Coilair Supreme. Camera was on my head via the goggle mount. I think the surface mount is going to have better results and get rid of the twisting.

more on the first ride with the contourhd...

Last edited:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
The last bit looked really good, I just wish the camera was pointed up alittle more so you could see further ahead. The trail in the end looked really fun!

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Cool footage. I second the up a little position. Shooting it on a cloudy day would be much less "busy". That run sure looks like a good time.

RSutton1223

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
Thanks Jeff. We need to get up to Windrock again sometime soon. I still owe you beer from the last run up there!

BR...Yeah I agree. This was the first ride with it so next time I am going to point it forward/up more and use that surface mount. Hopefully that irons everything out.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
as with any footage I've seen of the Contour camera, the video quality is excellent but the camera shaking ruins it all. No matter how it's mounted, goggle or helmet, even zapstrapped down tight it still suffers horrible camera shake. Even the promo video on Contour's sight is bad with shake. No sale, and every video I see reinforces it.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
as with any footage I've seen of the Contour camera, the video quality is excellent but the camera shaking ruins it all. No matter how it's mounted, goggle or helmet, even zapstrapped down tight it still suffers horrible camera shake. Even the promo video on Contour's sight is bad with shake. No sale, and every video I see reinforces it.
There is an easy way to fix that. I discovered it on accident when I did a reverse cam set-up. Just get a semi-flexible pole and attach it to your helmet with the cam at the end, 2 feet should probably do it, but you may have to counterweight the back of the pole a little. This dampens the shake and you can mount the camera higher for a better perspective. Of course have the camera pointing forward and in the field of view that you want (fyi, reverse cam pole length is much greater, probably 3-5 feet). Just make sure the pole will breakaway or come off in a crash- i use weak zip ties(tiny bit of duct tape) because they are stiff when uninterrupted, but fail 100% when stressed. It doesn't help your riding, but I never film to create riding memories because it's a pain the ass and ruins the memories. But filming to share, document, art or other reasons is worth it.

There was a post a few months back with some kid who did a pole mounted helmet cam that swiveled. That's not necessary, but a pole will buffer the vibration.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Then do the go pro with a chest mount.

You are going to have camera shake no matter what. Every video you see is of people riding hard on trails with rocks, roots, drops, etc. Do you want them all to ride on flat, straight pavement to make you feel better?

Don't mean to be a dick but seriously. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I personally think that it is a great camera and the HD on most of the vids look great. I plan on picking one up just as soon as I can.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
You are going to have camera shake no matter what. Every video you see is of people riding hard on trails with rocks, roots, drops, etc. Do you want them all to ride on flat, straight pavement to make you feel better?
relax, dude...

point is:

with the fix mounts of the GoPro the shaking is really minimal, although the cam itself lacks of course the quality of the ContourHD.

fix mounting is a MUST, rubber straps, goggle holder and such crap is worthless. you're whole resolution doesn't help when you get epileptic seizures because of watching a helmet cam vid.

BikeLuvR904

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Nice video. I personally don't think it shakes any more that other cameras but to each his own.
By the way I do think that the flat surface mount does deliver clearer shots over the goggle mount. Keep posting more!

Last edited: