Quantcast

HDR!!! (56k dies.)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Soo...my first real try with HDR photography...I like it. Kinda weird.

Most pics from Memory Grove, a quirky/weird war memorial park to the north of downtown SLC at the mouth of City Creek Canyon.

Non-HDR:

City Creek has been sandbagged due to flooding concerns...

Anyway, fun stuff.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
High Dynamic Range

These don't really look like HDR stuff, as there isn't a ton of range, but they are getting there. You need darker darks and brighter highlights.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
High dynamic range...mashing a bunch of exposures together in an attempt to get a more "natural" look. It can help light up an entire shot. IE, you take a picture of a room with a window...lots of bright light from the window, darkness inside the room. Taking 4 exposures (from 2 steps below 0, to 2 above) and merging them into HDR can help to normalize the light in the shot and make it look more like you would see through your eyes. I just think it's fun to play around with.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Transcend said:
High Dynamic Range

These don't really look like HDR stuff, as there isn't a ton of range, but they are getting there. You need darker darks and brighter highlights.
I agree-I was having trouble with Photomatix with lots of images (10+), so I was cutting it down significantly. Not to mention I shot with spot metering on some of them-d'oh.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Transcend said:
You take multiple exposures. Basically bracketing taken to the extreme. You then combine them selectively in photoshop, normally using masks and such.
Photochop sucks for HDR. PHOTMATIX!

http://www.hdrsoft.com/

The basic version sucks, though. All you can do is merge and not tone map.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Photoshop works fine as long as you know how to use it. Masks > you.

This isn't anything new, people have been doing it for dozens of years in analog by merging slides and adjusting print exposure times.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You can blend the exposures using masks and layers in photoshop fairly easily. I'm no photoshop instructor, but there are plenty of PS tutorials online and on dvd.

I suggest PS CS one on one if you like the paper format.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
good pics but im not too much of a fan of shots like that because they dont look natural at all. i always think im looking at a really good cgi when i see pics like that.