Quantcast

He hit a bear!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Sid Taberlay (Specialized) appeared a tad sluggish in the cross-country race after a close encounter with a local black bear left the Aussie with road rash on his backside. Taberlay was descending into Sandpoint after a road ride on Friday morning when he rounded a sharp turn only to see a large black bear in the road. Unable to avoid the animal, Taberlay T-boned the bruin, scraping his buttocks and destroying his road bike. "It happened so fast I didn't even see what happened to the bear," said Taberlay, who finished 10th in the cross-country. "I looked up and the thing was gone."

:eek: :eek:

Can you imagine zooming around a corner and BAM you hit a black bear? :help:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I was riding the lift at Whistler with a woman who said she t-boned a bear on one the trails in the park. Said she came around a corner and a big bear was taking a dump in the middle of the trail, there was nothing she could do. She said she bounced off it like hitting a brick wall, then the thing just kind of ambled away. Guess they are running out of new ideas for trail features up there!!

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
TreeSaw said:
Holy crap!!!! :eek: I can't even imagine hitting a bear. I have almost hit a deer before, and that was scary enough.
Me too -- First thing I said was "Damn, deer are alot bigger than they look from the road"

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Heidi said:
Sid Taberlay (Specialized) appeared a tad sluggish in the cross-country race after a close encounter with a local black bear left the Aussie with road rash on his backside. Taberlay was descending into Sandpoint after a road ride on Friday morning when he rounded a sharp turn only to see a large black bear in the road. Unable to avoid the animal, Taberlay T-boned the bruin, scraping his buttocks and destroying his road bike. "It happened so fast I didn't even see what happened to the bear," said Taberlay, who finished 10th in the cross-country. "I looked up and the thing was gone."

:eek: :eek:

Can you imagine zooming around a corner and BAM you hit a black bear? :help:

That's a hairy situation, Glad to see it barely affected his performance.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I was riding at Snowshoe last weekend and saw one on the fire road I was on. It took me a few seconds for my brain to say holy sh*t thats a bear and come to a stop. It just trotted off down the trail into the woods but it freeked me out knowing that there was a bear nearby in the woods

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm laughing about the "stosh has hit both of them....":D

I've had a few people laugh at for having a bear bell on my bike when riding solo....
only by idiots though.:nuts:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
HenryTheHammer said:
That's my biggest fear up at Whistler.
i had a close encounter a couple weeks ago. i came up fast on a bear in the middle of a berm on lower a-line. i was about 15' from him when he bolted, ran over the berm & up a tree. scared the crap out of me.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
xy9ine said:
i had a close encounter a couple weeks ago. i came up fast on a bear in the middle of a berm on lower a-line. i was about 15' from him when he bolted, ran over the berm & up a tree. scared the crap out of me.
Yeah, but YOU didn't climb the tree! Did ya? :p

:D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
pnj said:
I'm laughing about the "stosh has hit both of them....":D

I've had a few people laugh at for having a bear bell on my bike when riding solo....
only by idiots though.:nuts:
Ever met people who ride in the deep woods without a Bear Bell?

No one has....:think:....they never see them again. :)

Buddy in college came to class a total scab from head to toe. I asked him what happened and he said he hit a deer. :think: Turns out that he had ridden out of town and up into the hills....to no traffic dirt roads abot 20 miles out and then turned around to come back.....a few switchbacks later and he comes up on a deer in the middle of the road. The dear takes off running down the hill and darting left and right. As my buddy was about to pass the deer at a good clip the deer turned again right in front of him. He sailed over the deer and came to rest a good distance down the road. Had to walk his mangled Breezer bike while he was all covered in blood a few miles until a truck came by and took him back to town. The deer was last seen busting hoof through the trees. lol Glad it wasn't me. :dead:

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
OGRipper said:
I was riding the lift at Whistler with a woman who said she t-boned a bear on one the trails in the park. Said she came around a corner and a big bear was taking a dump in the middle of the trail, there was nothing she could do. She said she bounced off it like hitting a brick wall, then the thing just kind of ambled away. Guess they are running out of new ideas for trail features up there!!
I guess that answers the age old question......"Does a bear sh1t in the woods?"

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
How do you know if you hit a brown bear or a grizzly bear?

If you climb a tree and the bear climbs up after you and kills you, it's a brown bear. If it knocks the tree down and kills you, it's a grizzly.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
This happend on my way in to work this morning.

Motorcyclist hits bear on I-84

Wallkill - A motorcyclist suffered minor injuries when he collided with a bear crossing Interstate 84 this morning.
According to state police, the accident occurred at approximately 7:30 a.m. between exits 4 and 5 in the town of Wallkill.
"The bear was killed at the scene," said Trooper Gladman. Police did not have to shoot it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
konabumm said:
that would suck
It's funny that they added at the end "Police did not have to shoot it." so the PETA people wouldn't get all worked up.

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
I'll never forget once while riding my KDX 450 through the forest in PA, I looked
over my shoulder and thought to myself, "wow, there is a horse in the woods!".
It was a big black bear, going the same speed as me, and jumping little ravines
like a thoroughbred. I simply stopped, and was glad it kept going!