Quantcast

Head for the hills boys!

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
MMMM nothing like the smell of catagory 5 in the morning! What the heck, last night it was a 3. No close calls either. Before it would just step to the side and we'd get a bit of rain. Now, it's just going to buzzsaw right through New Orleans....And I've got nowhere to go... :help:

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
Holy Sh*t....175mph winds.....

I'm stuck here but I will probly head to the hospital later. Funny part is there telling people to GO TO FLORIDA. Haha

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
Dude you need to get to high ground immediately!!!! This storm is going to totally devastate N.O. I just read a story on CNN.com and this is what they said......

"In worst case scenarios, most of New Orleans would end up under 15 feet of water, without electricity, clean water and sewage for months. Even pumping the water out could take as long as four months to get started because the massive pumps that would do the job would be underwater".

Good luck riding out the storm. I'm sure you won't have electricity for quite some time afterward to give us an update. GET TO THE SUPERDOME!!!!! That place seems like the only safe bet.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
Yes, New Orleans hasn't seen something like this for a long time. In the early 1900's one hit, cat 5 i think, and 8,000 people died. The messed up part is, I had a ticket to philadelphia for yesterday but changed the date a week or two ago for sept. 8th. *cartman* GODDAMIT *cartman*.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
if you can get out, you can stay with us. usually when NO has a mass exodus the hotels fill up around here, but we have a couch. ;)

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
TN said:
if you can get out, you can stay with us. usually when NO has a mass exodus the hotels fill up around here, but we have a couch. ;)

appretiated TN. But greyhound isnt running anymore And I dont have the cash for a cabride like that!

Attachments

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
good luck! it looks like it is going to be a doozie. are you in NO proper or the outskirts?

J

JRB

uhm - dude - you need to just catch a ride. Don't sit there and die because you don't have wheels. That would be stupid and sad. Start walking if you have to.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I think the hurricane andrew in 92' cost about $30 billion in damages...I dont want to be a doomsdayer, but this one looks to be worse.

So Bush, spend more money on your useless war-or fix the sick, hungry, homeless in New Orleans??

best wishes people involved!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
tn posting-----> looks like total death & destruction for N'awlins, been watching a melange of cable news & the Weather Channel. I hope it is just hype.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Urgent - Weather Message
National Weather Service New Orleans La
1011 Am Cdt Sun Aug 28 2005

Devastating Damage Expected

Hurricane Katrina

A Most Powerful Hurricane With Unprecedented
Strength...rivaling The Intensity Of Hurricane Camille Of 1969.

Most Of The Area Will Be Uninhabitable For Weeks...perhaps Longer. At
Least One Half Of Well Constructed Homes Will Have Roof And Wall Failure.
All Gabled Roofs Will Fail...leaving Those Homes Severely Damaged Or
Destroyed.

The Majority Of Industrial Buildings Will Become Non Functional.
Partial To Complete Wall And Roof Failure Is Expected. All Wood
Framed Low Rising Apartment Buildings Will Be Destroyed. Concrete
Block Low Rise Apartments Will Sustain Major Damage...including Some
Wall And Roof Failure.

High Rise Office And Apartment Buildings Will Sway Dangerously...a
Few To The Point Of Total Collapse. All Windows Will Blow Out.

Airborne Debris Will Be Widespread...and May Include Heavy Items Such As
Household Appliances And Even Light Vehicles. Sport Utility Vehicles And
Light Trucks Will Be Moved. The Blown Debris Will Create Additional
Destruction. Persons...pets...and Livestock Exposed To The Winds Will Face
Certain Death If Struck.

Power Outages Will Last For Weeks...as Most Power Poles Will Be Down
And Transformers Destroyed. Water Shortages Will Make Human Suffering
Incredible By Modern Standards.

The Vast Majority Of Native Trees Will Be Snapped Or Uprooted. Only
The Heartiest Will Remain Standing...but Be Totally Defoliated. Few
Crops Will Remain. Livestock Left Exposed To The Winds Will Be
Killed.

An Inland Hurricane Wind Warning Is Issued When Sustained Winds Near
Hurricane Force...or Frequent Gusts At Or Above Hurricane Force...are
Certain Within The Next 12 To 24 Hours.

Once Tropical Storm And Hurricane Force Winds Onset...do Not Venture
Outside!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
THIS JUST IN

Urgent Weather Message from NWS New Orleans

WWUS74 KLIX 281550NPWLIXURGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA

732 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

HURRICANE KATRINAA MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HULK HOGAN OF WWE. MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR YEARS...PERHAPS LONGER. ATLEAST ONE HALF OF ALL STONE HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES FULL OF RATS AND HOMELESS CORPSES.THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.PARTIALY DUE TO BEING CLOGGED WITH THE DEAD BODIES OF HOMELESS PEOPLE AND RED CROSS WORKERS. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED AND THEN BUILT BACK UP AND DESTORYED ONCE MORE.

CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN COMPLETE DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND TOILET FAILURE. HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...AAND THEN FALL OVER LIKE THAT FAT GUY IN THE POPEYE MOVIE. WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT. AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS ENTIRE MALLS AND CHURCH STEEPLES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED AT LEAST 9 MILLION MILES TO PROBABLY THE MOON. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATEADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS... OLD PEOPLE.. AND THEIR HEAVY SHOES AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK. POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR YEARS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE UPROOTED AND SENT TO CALIFORNIA AND TRANSFORMERS AND DECEPTICONS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS. THIS IS LIKE A MILLION WOODSTOCKS!!!! THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING

BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE KILLED EVEN ALL THE WAY UP TO KENTUCKY. AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE.. DID ANYONE EVER SEE THAT MOVIE WHERE THE BLOCK GUY STOPPED A SEMI AND IT FOLDED ALL AROUND HIM? IT WILL BE JUST LIKE THAT

PLEASE DONT GO SURFING IF YOU ARE ANYWHERE IN THE GULF OF MEXICO, IT MAY CAUSE THE HURRICANE TO GO TOWARDS YOU

PLEASE POST ALL OF YOU WITTY ANTIDOTES AND FACTS THAT YOU JUST PULLED FROM SOME ASSHOLES WIKIPEDIA ENTRY ABOUT HOW THE SUPERDOME IS GOING TO CRACK FRMO ITS FOUNDATIONS AND ROLL AROUND LIKE THAT KATAMARI DEMOCA. HOWEVER YOU SPELL IT

OH GOD THE HUMANITY!

.ARECERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTUREOUTSIDE!LAZ038-040-050-056>070-282100-ASSUMPTION-LIVINGSTON-LOWER JEFFERSON-LOWER LAFOURCHE-LOWER PLAQUEMINES-LOWER ST. BERNARD-LOWER TERREBONNE-ORLEANS-ST. CHARLES-ST. JAMES-ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST-ST. TAMMANY-TANGIPAHOA-UPPER JEFFERSON-UPPER LAFOURCHE-UPPER PLAQUEMINES-UPPER ST. BERNARD-UPPER TERREBONNE-7:32 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
One of my clients just called abou their condo in NO. Conversation went like this:

"Do I have coverage?"

"Yes with a 2% Hurricane deductable."

"What about flood"

"no coverage"

"Why not?"

"you didn't want to pay the premium for it"

"So I am pretty much screwed"

"yes."

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Hawkeye said:
One of my clients just called abou their condo in NO. Conversation went like this:

"Do I have coverage?"

"What about flood"

"no coverage"

"Why not?"

"yes."
Lol.

Paging doctor tightwad, doctor tightwad please pick up the white courtesy phone...

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
N8 said:
It's like $200 bucks a year too...

Not his place. It's 6 feet bloew sea level. The condo premium is $550 a year.

Flood was $2500. Can't say I blame him for not taking it but it seems like a good bet now.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Hawkeye said:

"Do I have coverage?"

"What about flood"

"no coverage"

"Why not?"

"yes."
unless it catches fire. :evil:

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
Holy chit!

All of that was NO FUN.......
Yes, I stayed, Yes I wish I hadn't but geeze, that's something to tell the grandkids about.

I relocated to philly and life is almost back to normal. I'm a lot better off than others right now but things were looking pretty bleak for a while. I had holed up in a hospital there for about a week after it went down...

I got here knowing no one but the city and the lovely philadelphians were more than willing to help me out. It's amazing what can be accomplished with a bike and the phrase "I'm from New Orleans".

So, later on guys, again I won't be around for a while as life just got exponentially busier. I start art school in the spring and am working 2 full time jobs, one of them being designing a new menu for a pan-asian restaurant in west philly.

J

JRB

Bad ass. This is the best news I have had in some time. Glad you are in one piece, bro.