Quantcast

Head Light Questions

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
OK, I need a good headlamp. I've been looking at the nightrider headlamps, and cant decide what I should get There is the 10 watt Head Trip , The 6,10 or 15 watt Digital Head Trip for a little under twice the price, and there is the 40 watt equivelant HID Storm which doubles the price again.

I dont know how often I am going to use it, I plan on twice a week, but depending on how my school schedual goes, who knows. The Storm has a lot of advantages including faster charge time, faster run time, and MUCH brighter light. I just cant justify that much money on a light if I am not sure how often I am going to use it....

What do you all think? Should I just suck it up and spend the money to get a better product? or go with somthing not as bright with a much shorter runtime?

:help:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Congrats! I bought a headlamp last Summer and by far had the most fun nightriding that I had in a long time. In my opinion, I definitely think that the most important thing in a light is reliability. Runtime is also freakin important, but not nearly as having a light that you know won't crap out on you and leave you f'd in the middle of nowhere. That being said, I don't know where NR is with durability now, but I know that they had quite a bit of room for improvement some time back.

I have a non-HID headlamp and couldn't be happier. Unless you're riding trails under a forest canopy that'll let in no moonlight, an HID is probably overkill. If you have horrible eyesight, ride those kinda trails, or a gear whore, buy an HID. I used a friend's HID once and while it was nice, it didn't really offer enough of an advantage to give up my L&M.

splat

Nam I am
i generally use my homemade lights, halogen aand nI-cad batteries. reliability is definatly the most important thing. getting stuck out in the woods in the dark is no fun.

things to consider.

1) reliability , they must keep working , else you are screwed.
2) brightness they need to be bright enough to do the job at hand. LIghts for commuting on the road don't have to be as bright ( but it is nice ) as ones for riding off road
3) run time, if they don't last as long as you are out you are screwed.

as I said I have been using home made systems for 15 years , but 2 weeks ago I demoed an HID system at pedro's fest :love: now i think I may have to bite the bullit and in venst in one of those, it was nice!!!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ok i have ridden both the digital pro 6 and the HID, it just basically comes down to cost...I personally wont ride another halogen again its all HID from this point on. They are just so far superior to anything on the market it is silly. They light throw and run time are just amazing. So you can see what side I am leaning towards, but like you said the cost is an issue...hope this helps!

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
If you want reliability, my opinion is to stay away from Nite Rider. I've owned two of them and won't ever buy another. I have several friends who feel the a same. Now have a great Light and Motion HID. Expensive but unbelievable. If you can afford it, get it.

V

Vermont

reliability, run time and last of all for those of us who aren't bill gates...$$$$ cost.

I got the vistalight 25 system last year for about $170, i have a 5w on my helmet w/battery in camelback, a 5w and 15w on my bars. The 5w's last 3 hours and the 15w lasts an hour, they are 3 seperate systems so if any one fails i still have 2 other lights to get out of the woods...i also carry an extra battery jic. I have buds with $400 hid's and buds w/homeade lights, i prefer the light on my head and adjustability of two lamps on my bars. i usually leave the 15w off except for downhills and its great...good luck and have fun out there. jmho

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11532-225_VISC23-2-Accessories-35-Lights/Vistalite-Nightstick-Code-25.htm

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ive been running the same lamps for years. I have a 15 watt bar mount with wide focus and a 12 watt headlamp with narrow focus. Works great. In many areas I can ride at speeds near 100%. SOme of the HID's are so bright I imagine they work great but they are more than anyone needs IMHO, especially with that pricetag.

- JB

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, I'm glad that everyone says that the HID is overkill..... So now I dont have to spend so much money :)

Interesting though, how some of you say stay away from niterider. The other people I've talked to (non monkies) all love their niteriders :confused:

I have heard from my co workers and friends that niterider is a good company and they are realiable. (plus I can get a deal on them :) )

So between the 10 watt, and the adjustable 6,10, or 15 watt.. is it worth the extra money? and If i'm just gonna go with the 10 watt, why not just get a genaric brand?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Vermont said:
reliability, run time and last of all for those of us who aren't bill gates...$$$$ cost.

I got the vistalight 25 system last year for about $170, i have a 5w on my helmet w/battery in camelback, a 5w and 15w on my bars. The 5w's last 3 hours and the 15w lasts an hour, they are 3 seperate systems so if any one fails i still have 2 other lights to get out of the woods...i also carry an extra battery jic. I have buds with $400 hid's and buds w/homeade lights, i prefer the light on my head and adjustability of two lamps on my bars. i usually leave the 15w off except for downhills and its great...good luck and have fun out there. jmho

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11532-225_VISC23-2-Accessories-35-Lights/Vistalite-Nightstick-Code-25.htm
Damn thats a good price.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Get a nightrider HID, that is my recomendation! I worked at a nightrider dealer for 5 years, personally i feel they are the best on the market!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
BigMike said:
Well, I'm glad that everyone says that the HID is overkill..... So now I dont have to spend so much money :)

Interesting though, how some of you say stay away from niterider. The other people I've talked to (non monkies) all love their niteriders :confused:

I have heard from my co workers and friends that niterider is a good company and they are realiable. (plus I can get a deal on them :) )

So between the 10 watt, and the adjustable 6,10, or 15 watt.. is it worth the extra money? and If i'm just gonna go with the 10 watt, why not just get a genaric brand?
I have had 2 friends have trouble with NR... both of them with digital headtrip. Around here everyone uses Turbo Cat... I use Marwi, though I did have 1 of my Marwi lights catch on fire about a year and a half ago, it was repaired/warrantee'd and returned to me in perfect working order.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
golgiaparatus said:
though I did have 1 of my Marwi lights catch on fire about a year and a half ago
I have an image of a guy blazing downhill, pitch dark, with his head on fire, screaming like a girl...

now that would be 100% pure comedy! :p

BTW: I have a Digital Evolution 15W system, and I think power is plenty and got the advantage of fast charging compare to non digital system. HID are a bit overkill IMHO, kills the trills of riding at night. Never add any problems with mine, so far so good.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I have four halogen lights and when I can scrape together the money my next one will be a HID. If you are going to do offroad riding, that is what I would recommend. They have much longer burn time. Though, I will use the halogens on the the handlebar for emergencies.

One other thing, the HID bulbs are expensive.

Quite a few people around here have got this light --> Lume Light

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Get a nightrider HID, that is my recomendation! I worked at a nightrider dealer for 5 years, personally i feel they are the best on the market!

Well, of course you do! :D

I dunno.... Now I hear all these bad things about them.... thats no good. I trust all you :monky:s out there