Quantcast

Head scratcher on the wife's Altima

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
She has a trunk release that can be activated by the key fob or a handle in the door (which apparently is an electronic trigger?).

For some freaking reason, it activates all the freaking time at random. I had to disconnect the plug where it attaches in the trunk. All the forums are filled with insane nimrods and the dealership's parts/service guys are clueless.

Anybody know what it is that is short circuiting? Never knew something so trivial could be so inconvenient, but it's driving me nuts. Don't know if it's the trigger in the door or something at the "actuator" (right word?) in the trunk at the latch.

And don't worry....I won't work on it if it requires more than a screwdriver to access.:D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Funny, I had a rental Sonata that did that as well. It was the weirdest thing; I had this rental car for 2 days and every time I came back to it, the stupid trunk was open.

It was a little disturbing when I parked it on the side of the street in Boston and came back to find the trunk open...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it's not a vw...therefore it shouldn't be happening.

all other car brands are perfect according to white guys who ride bikes in the woods.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am guessing that illegal immigrants are using your wife's car to smuggle drugs. They have installed a remote to open and close the trunk for easy and inconspicuous access.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Keep it unplugged and just open it with the key like we have been doing with cars for years. Some modern "conveniences" are just stupid.

On a related note, the new foot open from Ford is the stupidest thing I have seen. Its amazing how we have regressed as a culture. God gave us arms and opposable thumbs for a reason.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The whole self parallel parking thing pisses me off to no end. If you can't parallel park, you shouldn't be driving an f'ing car.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The whole self parallel parking thing pisses me off to no end. If you can't parallel park, you shouldn't be driving an f'ing car.
I once had to do a Chinese fire drill at a stop light in the middle of Old Town Pasadena because the friend who was driving me to dinner couldn't parallel park. :rofl: :rofl:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
It's a Nissan. Known issues with momentary pressure switch in oem fob. Replace fob and reprogram it to the body control module yourself. Ebay haz aftermarket ones that work great, are smaller, and come with programming instructions.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It's a Nissan. Known issues with momentary pressure switch in oem fob. Replace fob and reprogram it to the body control module yourself. Ebay haz aftermarket ones that work great, are smaller, and come with programming instructions.
What's an "momentary pressure switch in oem fob"? Reprogram what? Sounds legit????

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
This.. Nissan Key fob's... <remote> have known issues..Last five I have looked at for this have all been fixed with new remotes

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I've had kids climb into my '65 Impala (or my '92 Cherokee, for that matter), point at the window crank, and ask "What's that do?" And don't get me started on the auto-door-lock feature on wifey's mommyvan....

You remember when trunks would only open with a key? Ahhh... the good ol' days. :D