Quantcast

Heading to Flagstaff this weekend (bike?)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Got a few days to kill so I'm going to Flagstaff to see some friends for a few days. At some point I'd like to get some biking in and I was hoping there might be some Monkeys who could suggest a some trails or show me around. I'll probably be hitting up the film festival and some bars at night, but some mountain biking would hit the spot during the day.

Any shop rides that are any could or some sweet trails you'd suggest?

Also, if you know of any good camping/hiking between Zion and Flagstaff let me know, otherwise I'll probably just be playing it by ear.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Got a few days to kill so I'm going to Flagstaff to see some friends for a few days. At some point I'd like to get some biking in and I was hoping there might be some Monkeys who could suggest a some trails or show me around. I'll probably be hitting up the film festival and some bars at night, but some mountain biking would hit the spot during the day.

Any shop rides that are any could or some sweet trails you'd suggest?

Also, if you know of any good camping/hiking between Zion and Flagstaff let me know, otherwise I'll probably just be playing it by ear.
Flagstaff is probably buried in snow right now... But you are not far away from Sedona which is not to far to the south.

On your way to Zion you can hit the trails in St-George, and Gooseberry Mesa in Huricane just before Zion. You can camp for free at the trailhead of the Gooseberry trail, the spot on the Mesa will give you spectacular sunset!

Have a good trip!

J.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Flagstaff is probably buried in snow right now... But you are not far away from Sedona which is not to far to the south.

On your way to Zion you can hit the trails in St-George, and Gooseberry Mesa in Huricane just before Zion. You can camp for free at the trailhead of the Gooseberry trail, the spot on the Mesa will give you spectacular sunset!

Have a good trip!

J.
I live in St. George. I have yet to hit Gooseberry, maybe I'll do that. The news that I can camp there is good info, didn't know that, thanks.

I'll have to call my friend about the snow. We've had beautiful weather up here, I always assume it is the same elsewhere.

And thanks Brad, I'll definitely stop in to that shop and check out those others spots. PayNTake has espresso and beer, I think I've found my place in life!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Isn't he a fly fishing guide back east?

Stinky, any trails you'd suggest?
Not too familiar with Flag as I only do a ride up there once a year that benefits the Food Bank, but I was up there for a Trials comp last year that a buddy was in and we rolled downtown after for beverages and hit Payntake and they looked at his trials bike and said: "We don't allow 5K bikes in here, let alone that thing." Sad.

Hit up Big Jonny at drunkcyclist.com and being a very cool guy, he knows what up and can shed better light.

Have a good trip Ito!

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Not too familiar with Flag as I only do a ride up there once a year that benefits the Food Bank, but I was up there for a Trials comp last year that a buddy was in and we rolled downtown after for beverages and hit Payntake and they looked at his trials bike and said: "We don't allow 5K bikes in here, let alone that thing." Sad.
Did you quit drinking and take up smoking crack? Pay n Take is totally bike friendly.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
ito- i can give you specific directions via pm if need be but from town head north and west towards the grand canyon turn right on schultz pass it turns into a dirt road and you can either park right at the bottom or drive up to one of the parking lots and ride from either spot.
off the dirt road on schultz pass rd there are hell of camping spots that are all free for up to two weeks.
stinkyboy is wrong. pay n take is a fun place to drink post ride. go to the beaver street brewing company if you want some good food cooked for ya. az bikes is a good shop and can also help ya out on specific trails to ride but a lot of riding can be accessed via schultz pass rd.
i miss flagstaff a lot. i lived there for a bit.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I know it may be hard to fathom, but maybe you were being a dick and they didn't want you there.
I'm quite sure I'm a cocky fuq in most situations, but as much as I support Big Jonny and AZ LBSs and just doing the lovefest for Flag, some prick denied us entrance to payntake, so fuq them forever.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
ito- i can give you specific directions via pm if need be but from town head north and west towards the grand canyon turn right on schultz pass it turns into a dirt road and you can either park right at the bottom or drive up to one of the parking lots and ride from either spot.
off the dirt road on schultz pass rd there are hell of camping spots that are all free for up to two weeks.
stinkyboy is wrong. pay n take is a fun place to drink post ride. go to the beaver street brewing company if you want some good food cooked for ya. az bikes is a good shop and can also help ya out on specific trails to ride but a lot of riding can be accessed via schultz pass rd.
And this is why I love Ridemonkey. You guys rock! :monkeydance:

I'll be sure to share some photos when I get back. Chris, if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me more specific directions that would be awesome, though I'll probably try to stop by AZ Bikes beforehand to get some directions and maybe dig up a riding partner.

This is sweet, everything I've heard about Flagstaff has been pretty positive, knowing it is bike friendly (sans Stinkboy's experience) makes it that much cooler.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I might send you a PM eventualy since we are heading this way in April. I did not consider Flagstaff since last time we went by, it was end of April and the mountains were still covered in snow!

Good to hear the trails will be rideable since I always wanted to hit Flagstaff.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
And this is why I love Ridemonkey. You guys rock! :monkeydance:

I'll be sure to share some photos when I get back. Chris, if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me more specific directions that would be awesome, though I'll probably try to stop by AZ Bikes beforehand to get some directions and maybe dig up a riding partner.

This is sweet, everything I've heard about Flagstaff has been pretty positive, knowing it is bike friendly (sans Stinkboy's experience) makes it that much cooler.
Bria... euh, I mean Ryan, ;)

We will be rolling in St-George mid-to-late April, maybe we could hook up for a ride! :thumb:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ryan, have a blast. There's a trail called supermoto up there....damn fun. and little bear, you'll like that one. Both are in the area of Shultz creek so enjoy.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
What's so great about payntake? They definately didn't seem bike friendly when we stopped in.
I never meant to imply it was the greatest bar in the world. Nor, would it be my first choice to have a cold one in flag. It's a nice place to sit outside and enjoy a six pack.
In all seriousness though, I couldn't imagine any place in Flagstaff that is not bike friendly...

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Ryan, have a blast. There's a trail called supermoto up there....damn fun. and little bear, you'll like that one. Both are in the area of Shultz creek so enjoy.
Sadly AZ Bikes says most of the trails are all ice/snow/mud. Looks like I'll do Gooseberry today and leave the bike at home before heading to Flagstaff. Oh well, later in the year for sure.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Sadly AZ Bikes says most of the trails are all ice/snow/mud. Looks like I'll do Gooseberry today and leave the bike at home before heading to Flagstaff. Oh well, later in the year for sure.
Riding in Flag kicks some serious a$$. You could always head down to Sedona - about an hour and the riding should be good. And the riding IS good in Sedona. :cool: