Quantcast

Heading to Whistler in August

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Anyone from the south been to whistler? Diablo-Plattekill & Snowshoe just made me want more! Windrock is fun and challenging but a big bike park has it's niche.We are still hitting Snowshoe and Mountain creek(Formerly Diablo) this summer.
Just wondering if anyone has any inside info like what not to miss. Gonna ride 3 days ( If we survive) and we are renting bikes from the demo center, they carry 9 brands of bikes.

^^^^ Great video ^^^^^^

Last edited:

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
Sounds like lots-o-fun! I can't believe this summer is shaping up to be even better than 2011. Whistler envy....where is Andy with a crude remark.

Jun 11, 2004
Last time I was at Whistler was Summer 2003....a few months before my son was born....haven't been back since :-( Back then what put the biggest smile on my face was A-Line to Dirt Merchant to GLC Drop......I could ride that combo of trails over and over and over and over.......

I'm sure a ton has changed since then.....the Garbanzo lift opened up the very next summer.

Maybe Dr. Kenan will chime in.....he has been the last couple of summers. I don't think you are gonna have any trouble having a good time though.....afterall you will be at Disney World for DH mountain bikers!

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Last time I was at Whistler was Summer 2003....a few months before my son was born....haven't been back since :-( Back then what put the biggest smile on my face was A-Line to Dirt Merchant to GLC Drop......I could ride that combo of trails over and over and over and over.......

I'm sure a ton has changed since then.....the Garbanzo lift opened up the very next summer.

Maybe Dr. Kenan will chime in.....he has been the last couple of summers. I don't think you are gonna have any trouble having a good time though.....afterall you will be at Disney World for DH mountain bikers!
^^^ This is why we are going, if you say you've been to a bike park someone will always ask if you've been to Whistler:doh:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
So many trails and ways to link them up i think you will pissed only riding 3 days.
This man speaks the truth. Although the first time I went, I think I only rode for 4 days. If you ride all day every day you'll be tired but you'll have a chance to see the whole park.

The coolest part about Whistler is that you can ride the gnarliest run for 30+ minutes and then ride the smoothest jump/flow trail for 30+ minutes. And Crank it Up is the sweetest warm up trail you've ever seen.

Edit: the very first trail in that video is Dirt Merchant. Ride that a lot. Also, it's pretty easy to take your bike if you do the 2 bag method. It will probably come out cheaper than renting.

Slight deral of thread but southwest is now selling flights to denver in august for $106 for me from NewOrleans. Thats stupid cheap so if you cant go all out for the Whizz then hitting up Solvista, WinterPark and Keystone on the uber cheap aint a bad for us southerners. Charlotte NC and Nashville TN are other hubs with cheap direct flights FYI.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Slight deral of thread but southwest is now selling flights to denver in august for $106 for me from NewOrleans. Thats stupid cheap so if you cant go all out for the Whizz then hitting up Solvista, WinterPark and Keystone on the uber cheap aint a bad for us southerners. Charlotte NC and Nashville TN are other hubs with cheap direct flights FYI.
what are we waiting for.jpg
What are we waiting for!!!!!

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
If you end up having an extra day check out Mount Washington on Vancouver Island. I am from Victoria and would love to go back and ride for a few days. Be safe.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
Whistler is a big riding, just take some tools and lube with you to do some adjustments on the rental bike to get it cleaned up and tunes the way you want it, enjoy the ride out there it is worth it.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
This man speaks the truth. Although the first time I went, I think I only rode for 4 days. If you ride all day every day you'll be tired but you'll have a chance to see the whole park.

The coolest part about Whistler is that you can ride the gnarliest run for 30+ minutes and then ride the smoothest jump/flow trail for 30+ minutes. And Crank it Up is the sweetest warm up trail you've ever seen.
Been watching video's the last few days and they got some serious nar trails!
Edit: the very first trail in that video is Dirt Merchant. Ride that a lot. Also, it's pretty easy to take your bike if you do the 2 bag method. It will probably come out cheaper than renting.
The reason we want to rent is last year 4 of us went to Snowshoe for 3 days and only 1 bike was functional the last day.
Clealan's not going with you Randy? WTH? You should go before you "retire", or have you been?
Clealans going he's just being aloof, Brett's booked in as well "The 3 amigo's" we have a condo for 6 booked and have been having e-mail wars trying to talk some more souls into going.
Whistler is a big riding, just take some tools and lube with you to do some adjustments on the rental bike to get it cleaned up and tunes the way you want it, enjoy the ride out there it is worth it.
Thought about that already, somebody got on my bike a few weeks ago and said the bars are rotated too far forward and the brake levers are all wrong......so we expect to do alittle tuning before we blast off.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Thought about that already, somebody got on my bike a few weeks ago and said the bars are rotated too far forward and the brake levers are all wrong......so we expect to do alittle tuning before we blast off.
Bike setup is all about individual preference for the most part. Don't let folks tell you your setup is wrong (aside from the sh1t that is wrong). :D

Falling

Chimp
Sep 27, 2009
I ride Snowshoe, Pisgah, and Wilson regularly. I have been to Whistler Twice each time for 10-14 days.

First a comment, why are you only riding for three days, you are going to regret that.

Whistler is amazing but you need to know where and what you want to ride. At most you will get 10-12 rides in per day, if you ride from 10-5, when you are there it will be open from 10-8.

Depending on what you like, A-Line, Dirt Merchant all of that stuff I am sure you have read about, they are groomed jump trails. I don't find them all that much fun, I like the technical trails far more. My best suggestion is post up and ask people for what linked runs they like to do. Then go to youtube and look for video of the trails. Watch repeatedly so when you get there you will know what you are getting in to.

Everything is bigger than Snowshoe, with more higher consequences for mistakes. With that said, it is MUCH easier than Snowshoe. At Whistler when you see the orange flags for a jump you know it is built well and landable if you nuts are big enough, I don't think that is the case in Snowshoe. Brake bumps BLOW you arms will get tired. Take two or three asprin before riding. Trust me on this. I've never been to diablo, but you do not know what brake bumps are until you hit A-Line or Crank it Up its like riding down a wash board. The tech trails you don't have that.

My favorite line is all the way up the Garbo--> Blue Velvet to! In Deep (there are a couple of ways to get to In Deep) to Little Adler to Too Tight to Angry Pirate to Afternoon Delight East to Whistler Downhill or Rock City to Heart of Darkness to the lift. You can substitute Heart of Darkenss for lower A-line to the GLC drop if you want to Style it out. GLC Drop is a joke NOW I've seen people roll it. It used to be HUGE.

Other favorite is Blue Velvet to Freight Train to Drop In Clinic to Duff Man to Dirt Merchant or back to Garbo Lift or Angry Pirate or A-Line down. Duff Man has six or so trails in it. When you drop in on it look back to your left and see the Manager its not always open but I did it once. I haven't been able to get the brown stain out of my shorts. I basically nose wheelied down it! Still don't believe I made it.

I am not too much for the jump trails. But if you hit A-Line and Crank it Up, Freight Train or Dirt Merchant. Commit yourself, worst thing you can do is get out of flow. The only one that has mandatory gaps is Dirt Merchant. There isn't much penalty for blowing a table but you won't really be able to hit the other ones if you pull up short. If you can flow and mean really flow the new Power line at Snowshoe you should be good to go on Crank it Up. A-Lines jumps are steeper and bigger than anything Snowshoe could imagine. Watch also if you are on it, locals RIP down it and they don't like people gawking. It is morally crushing when a 12 year jumps over you, I have had it done to me before! Before you move on to A-Line get real comfortable on Crank it Up.

Mandatory rides to prove you were there:
Devils Club- Oldish school skinnies and such
Detroit Rock City- Crazy rock ride in the middle and a Mother Fer of a small drop onto a rock with a 90degree flat turn I miss it 75% of the time
Schelyer- not really that crazy but there is a 5 foot drop in the middle that has been simplifed so you could probably role it.
Samauri Pizza Cat- Connector trail I believe
Ninja Cougar- I get P! izza cat ! and this screwed up one has awesome fun flowy berms great warm up.
Angry Pirate- I would die to have this in Pisgah. Most like what we ride at home with a Whistler upgrade, you'll like this one
Captain Safety- Watch the video
Goats Gully stay away from this one, seriously unless you tech skills are on fire, it is a forty five minute hike a bike if you aren't confident, I also tried it in the rain big mistake.
Facrobat- Big log ride

When are you going? Seriously, if you can get more days do it.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
I ride Snowshoe, Pisgah, and Wilson regularly. I have been to Whistler Twice each time for 10-14 days.

First a comment, why are you only riding for three days, you are going to regret that.

Whistler is amazing but you need to know where and what you want to ride. At most you will get 10-12 rides in per day, if you ride from 10-5, when you are there it will be open from 10-8.

Depending on what you like, A-Line, Dirt Merchant all of that stuff I am sure you have read about, they are groomed jump trails. I don't find them all that much fun, I like the technical trails far more. My best suggestion is post up and ask people for what linked runs they like to do. Then go to youtube and look for video of the trails. Watch repeatedly so when you get there you will know what you are getting in to.

Everything is bigger than Snowshoe, with more higher consequences for mistakes. With that said, it is MUCH easier than Snowshoe. At Whistler when you see the orange flags for a jump you know it is built well and landable if you nuts are big enough, I don't think that is the case in Snowshoe. Brake bumps BLOW you arms will get tired. Take two or three asprin before riding. Trust me on this. I've never been to diablo, but you do not know what brake bumps are until you hit A-Line or Crank it Up its like riding down a wash board. The tech trails you don't have that.

My favorite line is all the way up the Garbo--> Blue Velvet to! In Deep (there are a couple of ways to get to In Deep) to Little Adler to Too Tight to Angry Pirate to Afternoon Delight East to Whistler Downhill or Rock City to Heart of Darkness to the lift. You can substitute Heart of Darkenss for lower A-line to the GLC drop if you want to Style it out. GLC Drop is a joke NOW I've seen people roll it. It used to be HUGE.

Other favorite is Blue Velvet to Freight Train to Drop In Clinic to Duff Man to Dirt Merchant or back to Garbo Lift or Angry Pirate or A-Line down. Duff Man has six or so trails in it. When you drop in on it look back to your left and see the Manager its not always open but I did it once. I haven't been able to get the brown stain out of my shorts. I basically nose wheelied down it! Still don't believe I made it.

I am not too much for the jump trails. But if you hit A-Line and Crank it Up, Freight Train or Dirt Merchant. Commit yourself, worst thing you can do is get out of flow. The only one that has mandatory gaps is Dirt Merchant. There isn't much penalty for blowing a table but you won't really be able to hit the other ones if you pull up short. If you can flow and mean really flow the new Power line at Snowshoe you should be good to go on Crank it Up. A-Lines jumps are steeper and bigger than anything Snowshoe could imagine. Watch also if you are on it, locals RIP down it and they don't like people gawking. It is morally crushing when a 12 year jumps over you, I have had it done to me before! Before you move on to A-Line get real comfortable on Crank it Up.

Detroit Rock City- Crazy rock ride in the middle and a Mother Fer of a small drop onto a rock with a 90degree flat turn I miss it 75% of the time
Schelyer- not really that crazy but there is a 5 foot drop in the middle that has been simplifed so you could probably role it.
Ninja Cougar- I get P! izza cat ! and this screwed up one has awesome fun flowy berms great warm up.
Angry Pirate- I would die to have this in Pisgah. Most like what we ride at home with a Whistler upgrade, you'll like this one
Goats Gully stay away from this one, seriously unless you tech skills are on fire, it is a forty five minute hike a bike if you aren't confident, I also tried it in the rain big mistake.
Facrobat- Big log ride

Awesome info thanks, we are going the first of August and already committed to the 3 days and can't squeeze any more days outta it.
Diablo's jump line is way bigger than snowshoe's so we have some experience in bigger tables. I actually watched video's of Captain safety & Goats gully today both super narly.

"My best suggestion is post up and ask people for what linked runs they like to do. Then go to youtube and look for video of the trails. Watch repeatedly so when you get there you will know what you are getting in to."
^^Best advice yet^^^

I have noticed a few really good looking trails like Angry Pirate and between Pinkbike & u-tube there's plenty to watch. I'm gonna copy yer trail link-ups and look at the map.
Thanks again for the info.
Oh and how many days riding did you get in - in 14 days?

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC

Facrobat- Big log ride

Re-read yer post and got a couple questions......
You joined in 2009 and this was your first post? Why?
You say you ride Snowshoe,Pisgah,Wilson regularly but what about Windrock? Do you ride there? You said you like the more technical trails,why no mention of WR?
Just making sure your advice is genuine.

Falling

Chimp
Sep 27, 2009
Are you serious? Thanks for looking a gift horse in the mouth. Do you think I would know that much detail if i hadn't been there? I am more of a lurker, I usually only buy stuff on here. I am on MTBR more frequently. I only happened to see your thread because of it was on the front sheet.

Anyway, never been to Windrock. don't really have a good reason other than the wife doesn't like to camp. She downhills with me so we head to Snowshoe a lot over the summer. Usually 6 weekends.

When we go to Whistler we stay with a place called Ticket-2-Ride. It is a British company that guides and cooks and takes care of you! It is funny because typically we are the only Americans ask them about Becks and Rich they can vouch for us. When we go for two weeks we typically ride 12 days. Two break days and one or two 3-4 hour days. We ride Whistler mountain for 4-6 days depending on the weather and crowds. We go to Pemberton and Squamish the other days. I ride a Knolly Delirium that I change the rear shock on from a Monarch to a CCDB coil. Down hill days get the coil AM days are on the Monarch. You'll see people on 6 inch bikes all the way to 9.25 "dowhill bikes.

Since you are going only three days you can't do one of the best things in Whistler, the Rainbow Heli Drop! That is probably the best experience on a bike that I have ever had.

If you want more credentials: Whistler 2x, Costa Rica for 14 days, Chile for 15, South Africa for 17 days and we are riding Peru from July 3rd to July 24th. Plus all domestic trips, Phoenix, Sedona, Moab, North East, Rockies Durango.

Not everyone has to e-ride their bike on Ridemonkey.

Falling

Chimp
Sep 27, 2009
P1000218.jpg
I don't know why this made me so mad. Here is photo evidence, in all my hairy glory, I think someone knocked over my bike when my wife took this picture. This is right before Crankwork's 2011.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Are you serious? Thanks for looking a gift horse in the mouth. Do you think I would know that much detail if i hadn't been there? I am more of a lurker, I usually only buy stuff on here. I am on MTBR more frequently. I only happened to see your thread because of it was on the front sheet.

Anyway, never been to Windrock. don't really have a good reason other than the wife doesn't like to camp. She downhills with me so we head to Snowshoe a lot over the summer. Usually 6 weekends.

When we go to Whistler we stay with a place called Ticket-2-Ride. It is a British company that guides and cooks and takes care of you! It is funny because typically we are the only Americans ask them about Becks and Rich they can vouch for us. When we go for two weeks we typically ride 12 days. Two break days and one or two 3-4 hour days. We ride Whistler mountain for 4-6 days depending on the weather and crowds. We go to Pemberton and Squamish the other days. I ride a Knolly Delirium that I change the rear shock on from a Monarch to a CCDB coil. Down hill days get the coil AM days are on the Monarch. You'll see people on 6 inch bikes all the way to 9.25 "dowhill bikes.

Since you are going only three days you can't do one of the best things in Whistler, the Rainbow Heli Drop! That is probably the best experience on a bike that I have ever had.

If you want more credentials: Whistler 2x, Costa Rica for 14 days, Chile for 15, South Africa for 17 days and we are riding Peru from July 3rd to July 24th. Plus all domestic trips, Phoenix, Sedona, Moab, North East, Rockies Durango.

Not everyone has to e-ride their bike on Ridemonkey.
View attachment 110871
I don't know why this made me so mad. Here is photo evidence, in all my hairy glory, I think someone knocked over my bike when my wife took this picture. This is right before Crankwork's 2011.
I didn't mean to call you out but its easy to make a sock puppet accounts on these sites and I have been fooled before and I don't know you personally so sorry.We ride Windrock a lot its usually just a day trip so if you get interested just let me know and we'll show you around.
As far as your credentials = impressive! I've never been out of the country riding so props! But I have made it to Moab-Durango before.
And your "Hairy glory" well Milohead(Josh) seems to have you beat in the sideburn area.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Been 3 times, and like everyone else all I can say is that you definitely need more than 3 days! Just make it happen, you don't want to regret not having enough time to ride everything.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Been 3 times, and like everyone else all I can say is that you definitely need more than 3 days! Just make it happen, you don't want to regret not having enough time to ride everything.
Again with the 3 days! sheesh! Its hard enough to plan and get commitments for a week off as is.I guess we'll just have too ride from 10-8 every day ~ gonna have to train for this.

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
I'll be there 3 times this summer. Opening weekend, in July and closing weekend. Gotta catch the Turkey Sale (Canadian Thanksgiving) they have closing weekend, tons of great deals.

Don't miss Dirt Merchant, Joyride, Schleyer or Detroit Rock City.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
I'll be there 3 times this summer. Opening weekend, in July and closing weekend. Gotta catch the Turkey Sale (Canadian Thanksgiving) they have closing weekend, tons of great deals.

Don't miss Dirt Merchant, Joyride, Schleyer or Detroit Rock City.
Wow if you are from the south thats big!

Falling

Chimp
Sep 27, 2009
One other suggestion, get supplemental insurance. It usually is 5-10 dollars per day. If you take a tumble on the hill it is Expensive! The medical center in Whistler is essentially an Urgent Care. So if you get hurt it is either a two hour ambulance drive to Vancouver or a Helicopter ride both uber expensive. From what I know, the medical center only takes cash or credit up front from Yankees. Luckily I haven't had to experience it first hand.

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
Thanks for all of the advice guys. Unfortunatly, age, obligations, finances and fitness level all work against riding more than 3 days. For me this is a now or never trip. Randy is several years younger and will probably go back. Brett is young and this will just be a taste of the future for him. A week to go to Whistler, two weekends at Mountain Creek, two weekends at Snowshoe and Windrock every chance I get (all year) is all I am willing to ask my family to give me....hell, that's alot! Falling, you should definitley make the trip to Windrock, it's six hours round trip for me and I try to go twice a month.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
One other suggestion, get supplemental insurance. It usually is 5-10 dollars per day. If you take a tumble on the hill it is Expensive! The medical center in Whistler is essentially an Urgent Care. So if you get hurt it is either a two hour ambulance drive to Vancouver or a Helicopter ride both uber expensive. From what I know, the medical center only takes cash or credit up front from Yankees. Luckily I haven't had to experience it first hand.
How are where do you get that??

Falling

Chimp
Sep 27, 2009
Insuremytrip.com Upcoming trip to Peru is $302 for 18 days for my wife and I. It covers evacuations, medical, cancellations, bag loss bunch of other junk. I added 10k for our bikes which was essentially $30. So if I scratch sanctions it is a $50 deductable! You have to call for the bike.

I bet for your 5 day trip, airfare and all it would be less than $50.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Insuremytrip.com Upcoming trip to Peru is $302 for 18 days for my wife and I. It covers evacuations, medical, cancellations, bag loss bunch of other junk. I added 10k for our bikes which was essentially $30. So if I scratch sanctions it is a $50 deductable! You have to call for the bike.

To with-hold all this valuable info is against ridemonkey law :monkeydance:

Thanks again

Falling

Chimp
Sep 27, 2009
Absolutely true story: I know a girl first hand that on the first run down B-line of the first day of a 18 day trip broke her pelvis in two spots! Medi-vacced off the hill. Got to watch her husband ride for the entire trip. Luckily she had this insurance and they paid for her entire trip, even reimbursed her Whistler season pass and she got a first class ticket back to England.

Things go wrong, unfortunately in our sport the few times they do, they go seriously wrong. If you read Decline mag there was an article not too long ago about a dude getting massively injured on the Peru trip we are about to do. To the tune of 60k at the time of the printing.

Sharing info is like Karma!

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007

GOOD INFO!!! I'll be using this on my trips for sure! Thanks!

Falling

Chimp
Sep 27, 2009
It was great meeting you guys in Windrock! Thanks for showing Becky and I around and pointing us down the right trails, even if she didn't want to listen...

After seeing those trails you guys are going to be FINE in Whistler. The features are a bit "bigger" but much more visible and typically with better landings and the runs are a bit longer.

Definitely will be back in Windrock after we get back from Peru. Becky left a bit of her pride in the parking lot. She was pretty mad at herself when we passed Aville on the way home Sunday. I would rather have her comfortable then try to push her down the hill and get in over her head. She has a mental block around wet trails.

I am pretty amazed at how much was out there and how much work went into the trails.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Becky left a bit of her pride in the parking lot. She was pretty mad at herself when we passed Aville on the way home Sunday. I would rather have her comfortable then try to push her down the hill and get in over her head. She has a mental block around wet trails.
My wife does the same thing and not just on wet trails...... maybe we should hook them up and let them ride together.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Both times I've been to Whistler, I constantly think about how the double black trails are so much like WR. Goat's Gully is definitely not to be missed!

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Don't miss crankworks! Heckler rock on DH race day is the place to be. Total gong show! Aug 9 - 19. Big DH race on the 19th. Biggest cash prize in the sport. Epic.