Quantcast

Headlamps for running?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody ever do any night running? Have any suggestions for a good headlamp to use?

Is the PT Apex any good? Nice and bright, but huge.

The other is the Petzl Myo Belt...i'd rather have the batteries off my head...does it really matter though?

Lastly, incandescant vs. led?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i'd go for lightest, most stable over brightness... unless you're trail running, so LED, yeah?

but the street lights aren't enough? i've never needed a light for running

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
LordOpie said:
but the street lights aren't enough? i've never needed a light for running

Considering I live in a rural*ish* are where there are a very small number of streetlights, he could be too. It;s not that uncommon.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
most people that i deal with run at night w/out lights.....but that's usually because they didn't have time to grab them on the way out of the house they broke into :D i've found running at night is much more motivational when you're chasing someone....kinda like high stakes hide and seek/tag.

but yeah, a decent LED should do the trick as long as you're not some freakish 4 min mile trail runner.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
chicodude said:
Considering I live in a rural*ish* are where there are a very small number of streetlights, he could be too. It;s not that uncommon.
Run without lights on full moons :)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We used these in New Orleans because we stayed in a 4 story high school with no power, so it helped to get around at night. Gerber donated them to all the soldiers in my unit and I was very happy with it. Light, comfortable, and wicked bright without blinding you while wearing it. $23, not bad.

Gerber Tracer Headlamp:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oh yeah, trail running at night....so it's a little more complicated than just street lights or warning cars.

I'll check that gerber out.