Quantcast

headphones

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have some ipod ones that need to be replaced. I like this style best (non noise canceling, so I can put the volume low and hear things with both in.)

Does anyone know which ones have the best quality in the $30-$40 range? Thrillkill recommended some $130 ones, but I don't want to spend that much.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Just try getting your iPod ones replaced for free. Unless you lost them...

I complained about mine and the guy at the store just gave me some new ones.

I think the Skullcandy ones are a pretty good bet though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Two things.

First of all, I'd recommend not listening to anything outside of your set price range. It's pretty easy to creep along at $10-15 increments until you're looking at phones that are triple your budget.

Second of all, with a couple caveats, I'd recommend in-ear monitors instead of the buds like the ones that came with the iPod that just rest in your ear. The in-ear monitors slide in your ear and let you play your iPod at a much lower volume while still getting the same sound. The caveats are that if you ride your bike with the phones or need to hear people around you, you won't be able to hear anything with the monitors in. That can be dangerous if you are riding in traffic.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Second of all, with a couple caveats, I'd recommend in-ear monitors instead of the buds like the ones that came with the iPod that just rest in your ear. The in-ear monitors slide in your ear and let you play your iPod at a much lower volume while still getting the same sound. The caveats are that if you ride your bike with the phones or need to hear people around you, you won't be able to hear anything with the monitors in. That can be dangerous if you are riding in traffic.
i do road rides w/ the Shure buds all the time...as long as you keep awareness and don't crank the volume, it's not so bad.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
i do road rides w/ the Shure buds all the time...as long as you keep awareness and don't crank the volume, it's not so bad.
Yeah, careful riding will, I'm sure, keep the danger down, but I still think it's marginally dangerous in any kind of traffic. Hit a wide open stretch of road or a less traveled area, there's no problem but... I guess I just don't trust myself to be completely aware of my surroundings 100% of the time.

Anyway, judgment call. Just something to keep in mind.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I like to be able to still hear stuff while listening to music, so I guess I'll try the skull candy ones, though the in ear ones would be nice. Maybe I'll get one of those later (as a second set) to use when I don't need to hear other stuff.

edit: why is ' :D ' in the title? :think:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
That looks cool. I saw it at my lbs. I wouldn't be on the bike every time I listen to music...but a helmet for walking around in general might be worth it for me. :p