Quantcast

Heads Up : new phishing email scam

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
if this isn't new let me know and I'll delete this but it's the first time i've seen/heard about it.

I recieved and email today that looked extremely official. It was looking like it was sent from paypal and telling me that the payment (that I had obviously not authorized) had been put through succesfully for around $300. There was a link down at the bottom that said:

"If you haven't authorized this payment click here to cancel the payment".

and that's where they get ya. The link went off to some site that wasn't paypal.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Yeah, they are pretty good at making them look legit. I've never seen one though that looked like an email saying I had just paid someone. It's pretty good social engineering on the part of the scammers. Usually I don't pay any attention to these but this one caught my eye because

1. it said I had paid someone when I knew I hadn't
2. it was for a large sum of money

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Good to know.

Personally, I never click on links in emails. If the company needs some information from me or if I've got something going on with my account, it'll tell me if I manually go to the site and log on.

Some of the eBay ones have gotten really, really good. I got one about a week ago that had zero spelling errors and the grammar was spot-on, and it used all the official terms and graphics that eBay typically puts into their emails.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
binary visions said:
Some of the eBay ones have gotten really, really good. I got one about a week ago that had zero spelling errors and the grammar was spot-on, and it used all the official terms and graphics that eBay typically puts into their emails.

Yes, quite clever 'cept for one thing...

I don't have an Ebay account. :p

Mike

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
it will usually be a page asking for your login and password from paypal or ebay or your bank or wherever. Sometimes they even go as far as asking for things like bank account # and social security #.