Quantcast

Heads Up : new phishing email scam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dfinn, Oct 16, 2005.

1. dfinn

dfinn Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    if this isn't new let me know and I'll delete this but it's the first time i've seen/heard about it.

I recieved and email today that looked extremely official. It was looking like it was sent from paypal and telling me that the payment (that I had obviously not authorized) had been put through succesfully for around $300. There was a link down at the bottom that said:

"If you haven't authorized this payment click here to cancel the payment".

and that's where they get ya. The link went off to some site that wasn't paypal.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MtnbikeMike

MtnbikeMike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I think a lot of those Paypal scams look official, yet, as you described, link you to another site.

3. dfinn

dfinn Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Yeah, they are pretty good at making them look legit. I've never seen one though that looked like an email saying I had just paid someone. It's pretty good social engineering on the part of the scammers. Usually I don't pay any attention to these but this one caught my eye because

1. it said I had paid someone when I knew I hadn't
    2. it was for a large sum of money

4. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    80 / 354
    Good to know.

Personally, I never click on links in emails. If the company needs some information from me or if I've got something going on with my account, it'll tell me if I manually go to the site and log on.

Some of the eBay ones have gotten really, really good. I got one about a week ago that had zero spelling errors and the grammar was spot-on, and it used all the official terms and graphics that eBay typically puts into their emails.

5. Dartman

Dartman Old Bastard Mike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0

Yes, quite clever 'cept for one thing...

I don't have an Ebay account. :p

Mike

6. W4S

W4S Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 23
    What does clicking on the link do besides take you to another page and give them the email addy? Sorry, I'm just learning this internet thing.

7. dfinn

dfinn Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    it will usually be a page asking for your login and password from paypal or ebay or your bank or wherever. Sometimes they even go as far as asking for things like bank account # and social security #.