Quantcast

Headset adjustment

FR Dragon

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Hey,

So I just mounted my headset, BUT my bottom cup doesn't have the logo completly centered...so I was wondering, is there any way to get it centered even though it's already in, without getting it out that is...

I know it doesn't effect performance or anything at all....but it's just how I am :D

FR Dragon

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Okay I seem to have found another problem, when my fork is in the bottom cup has a bit of play in it...well it's not the actual cup, you see the fork has sealed bearings, and the rubber thing that's supposed to seal it doesn't hold the fork back enough...so I can move the fork about 1mm to the front/back...
Now I've got this thing, it's called the "Crown Plate Tool" and I was wondering, is this only needed to install the Crown Plate onto the fork, or is this an actual part of the headset, that I need to mount when I mount the fork?
Cause right now I have it mounted and the play is gone....was the play only there because I was missing that part?

Thanks

Oh yeah if this is any help, this is the headset I have:

http://nc17.de/prod_steuer_imperator_pro.html

FR Dragon

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Okay so I fixed the play to be about 0,5mm, now you can move the fork to the back when you're sitting on the saddle, could this problem be due to the topcap not being on yet?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The crown race tool is only for installing the crown race(plate). The fork won't cinch up until all the parts are installed (including the stem and any spacers) and the topcap* is tightened down, but before you tighten the stem bolts.

*You need 3 to 5mm between the top of the stem to the top of the steerer tube to keep the topcap from bottoming out.