Quantcast

headset question for 2009 Specialized big hit 3

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
so I bought my new fork, see tax return thread if that matters....

i bought a fox 40, it was a standard straight steer tube.

My bike has a tapered head tube and fork.

Current headset is a cane creek vp-a97f

Is there an adapter/reducer that I can purchase for the bottom to make it work with my fork or am I stuck purchasing a whole new headset?

I found this http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?item=100069915

But I am not certain it is compatible with my headset, and figured this was the best place to ask.

a $16 reducer looks a lot better than a $150 headset. If this peice does work, do I also need to purchase a different sized bearing set up or is it still compatible?

Good thing it's still too ****ty out to ride around here, I have a feeling this could take me a while to figure out :rofl::rofl:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Call Cane Creek. They are very easy to work with. I just bought the same headset (40 series) for my SX. I got it in a Zero Stack lower cup and I think the lower cup was cheaper than what your looking at. Also, you might just need the crown race.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Call Cane Creek. They are very easy to work with. I just bought the same headset (40 series) for my SX. I got it in a Zero Stack lower cup and I think the lower cup was cheaper than what your looking at. Also, you might just need the crown race.
or use their website and the handy dandy headset finder. :rofl:

Thanks guys. :thumb:

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
You will probably need the lower cup assembly; just the crown race may not work. A conversion CR worked on my 09 SXT, so I recently led my buddy down this path w/ his 09 BH, only to find it's a different headset lower where the bearings actually use the CR as a race, as it wasn't a sealed lower bearing-- and the conv CR by itself didn't work...