Quantcast

Headset Question

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I just got my Transition TOP all ready to be built up. Installed everything and now came time for the Integrated headset. Not sure what the problem is here. I tigthen the star nut, get all the play out, but then the bars and steer tube in general are hard to turn. loosen it a little, bars are easier to move, headset now has play.

I was thinking just lube the headset and it might need braking in? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Make sure the bearings are properly seated; if they are tipped even slightly they will bind when the headset is tightened.

Did you grease the bearing/cartridges liberally before pushing/pressing into headtube?

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Make sure the bearings are properly seated; if they are tipped even slightly they will bind when the headset is tightened.

Did you grease the bearing/cartridges liberally before pushing/pressing into headtube?
Ya everything is lubed

And will double check with the bearings. I set them three times with no change, I am a rookie at it, but my friend who has been working in a shop for 6 years did it with the same results.

I can double check that everything is seated correctly, but I sure they are

We came to the conclusion it just needs to be broken in?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Double check the assembly of the headset - you could have accidentally switched the order of things. You should be able to tighten your headset w/o any play and be able to turn the bars smoothly. Headsets should not have to be broken in.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
More good suggestions above.

Also make sure the cartridges dont have 1 chamfered edge (which should be inserted first) - some setups use these to help seat/center the cartridge.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
More good suggestions above.

Also make sure the cartridges dont have 1 chamfered edge (which should be inserted first) - some setups use these to help seat/center the cartridge.
I was at my cousins place a couple years ago and he just put a new Cane Creek in his Heckler. Swearing and throwing **** he walked away from the bike because he had the same problem as the OP. Tighten and the headset locked up, loosen 1/4 turn and it was sloppy.

I took everything apart, found the lower bearing to be in upside down, put it back together and like magic all was good. He bought me beer.

Sound familar OP?

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I did the exact same thing years ago, on a Hecker too.

OP, it's also possible you could need a shim between the bearing and headset cap (not the stem cap, the part that says IS-3 in the pic below)

HD2311.jpg

On one of my frames with an integrated headset, the headset cap bottomed out on the top of the headtube before getting proper tension. The only way to get it tight was to crank the **** out of it, and then it was too tight, of course. Adding a small shim under the top cap gave it the space it needed to tighten, but not bottom out on the headtube.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
they are also called micro shims. ive had to use them before with a CC headset. if youre friend worked in a shop for 6 years doesnt know that, then he must have worked at the Sports Authority