Quantcast

Headset removal/install on carbon frame?

FirstAscent

Chimp
Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
Is there anything special or different one should take into account when removing/installing a new headset on a carbon frame? It's a Session 9.9

Thanks!

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
use a bigger hammer.

*nothing special, go slow with your press, make sure everything is straight, use grease.

Last edited:

FirstAscent

Chimp
Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
After further inspection it looks like I can't install my Chris king headset on it. The bike comes with a cane creek headset and the upper and lower cups are bonded to the carbon frame.

Does that mean cane creek is my only option??

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Yes, But the CC stuff I have been running never comes loose.
Some of the CK tend to loosen up on longer travel forks.
But that's my experiences.
VM

FirstAscent

Chimp
Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
I called and emailed trek. The guy I talked to on the phone said they were bonded to the frame and not to remove them. The email I got said they were pressed in and can be tapped out.

Hmmm, maybe I'll just stick to CC as you recommended.

Thanks for your input VM

Last edited:

FirstAscent

Chimp
Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
whats wrong with the cc headset?
CC makes good headsets. But I bought the frameset and it didn't include the headset, all that is in there was an upper and lower cup. Since I needed to buy one I decided to get a CK, and I wanted it red. So it wasn't anything against CC

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
I called and emailed trek. The guy I talked to on the phone said they were bonded to the frame and not to remove them. The email I got said they were pressed in and can be tapped out.

Hmmm, maybe I'll just stick to CC as you recommended.

Thanks for your input VM
The person you spoke to at Trek does not know what he is talking about. I owned a session carbon, and worked at a trek dealer too and I know for a fact the cups are removable. That is why the bike comes from the factory with a stock headset, and Trek also includes an angleset too. The only way to install the angleset is by removing the cups.

Good luck

FirstAscent

Chimp
Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
Awesome, good ol first hand experience. Thanks pillete!

I bought the frameset used so it didn't include all the extras but I had heard they included the angleset as well but assumed it was the same cups.

Thanks!