Quantcast

Headset Shimz?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I recently got a Cane Creek headset for a 1.5 headtube. (good) The shop installed it on my bike(better) The 36 talas fork that is on the bike does not clear around because of the tall adjusters. (fusking terrible) The cups are big enough that I (and the shop) conclude i can run a shim safely with no repercussions. Do they make this thing, or do i have to run around to hardware shops or dremol my own out of a piece of metal. Any other ideas, The adjusters are about 5mm too tall to clear.

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
I know you can get 5mm extension crown races for King 1-1/8" headsets, never seen one for 1.5 though.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I had this problem on my 6" bike with both a 36 and a 66. Could never find anything that was manufactured (even though the insertion depth on the Cane Creek XXc headset was way more than enough). Considered just making some on the lathe but got lazy and dreaded having to pound out that lower cup.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
I got a headset that came with a second lower cup that was higher. Can't remember the name of it though. I will look tomorrow. I bought it from Chainreaction cycles if you want to browse there .

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Are you using the double XC flush?

I had the same problem with mine.

If you are using the flush you can swap out the lower cup with the double XC standard. The cups can be ordered individually (be sure to be very specific when ordering, they sent me the wrong cup twice)

Or you could pull the nobs off the fork, that was my temp fix (on a lyric).

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am not sure exactly which headset it is, The mechanic at my shop is very smart so I had him get me the headset. It is inside the headtube.(which is normal for a 1.5?) It has close to no stack height. Costs 90 bucks MSRP

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
If it's a reducer headset the headset could be replaced with a 1.5-1 1/8 reducer and a standerd headset which buys a few mm's, that's what i did at one point when that predicament. Since 1.5 headsets all have deep presses a washer of 5mm or so could certainly be made to put over the cup before it's pressed in though. I don't know of a shim like this. a shim with a 2" ID would be really close if you got a piece of tubing to cut down. The ID of a 1.5 head tube is 49.6 if i remember right- 2" is 50.8. Cutting it flat will be the tricky part, a lathe would make the job easy if you had the piece tube to take to a machine shop.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Does anybody know where i could get industrial sized washers? Never looked around, would a car body shop have this stuff? It has to be 1.5 on the inside correct? and outside can around 1.75?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I am not sure exactly which headset it is, The mechanic at my shop is very smart so I had him get me the headset. It is inside the headtube.(which is normal for a 1.5?) It has close to no stack height. Costs 90 bucks MSRP
You have the Double XC Flush

If you want to fix this without any funny mods just order the double XC (like I said be specific ordering). The cup sits on the outside of the head tube like a standard headset and gives you the clearance you need.

If this is what you have:

http://www.canecreek.com/component-headsets?browse=name&name=XX&product=XXcFlushII

Order a lower cup for this:

http://www.canecreek.com/component-headsets?browse=name&name=XX&product=XXcII

note the difference in "bottom stack hight"

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If it's a reducer headset the headset could be replaced with a 1.5-1 1/8 reducer and a standerd headset which buys a few mm's, that's what i did at one point when that predicament. Since 1.5 headsets all have deep presses a washer of 5mm or so could certainly be made to put over the cup before it's pressed in though. I don't know of a shim like this. a shim with a 2" ID would be really close if you got a piece of tubing to cut down. The ID of a 1.5 head tube is 49.6 if i remember right- 2" is 50.8. Cutting it flat will be the tricky part, a lathe would make the job easy if you had the piece tube to take to a machine shop.
Or you can run the right reducer headset..... Like the Pig reducer..... that gains alot of stack height.......But Rock already got it, he has a flush moun headset..... normally reserve those for DC forks, sc forks still have the issue of knobs and downtubes