Quantcast

Headset: Tank or Pig DH Deep Cups?

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Hey there,

So I work in a bike shop. Got a 15-y-o rider with a Kona Stuff.

He bent the steer tube on the MZ Comp, so he's getting a crash replacement DJ3.

Question: what headset? Cane Creek Tank or the Pig DH with deep cups? Or something else? He tends to destroy parts...

(but why he was using a XC fork for dirt jumping, I can't explain...)

Thanks for any advice!

-sunny

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I'd go with the FSA with deep cups if he destroys parts. The bearings on the Tanks are smaller as well.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
If you go with the Deep Cup, make sure it'll work with the frame. I recently tried to install one on my Steelhead and it's didn;t work because of where the headtube welds were placed. Trashed the cups trying to install it. The DH Pro should be sufficient, that's what I ended up using on my Azonic.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I'm a long time regular fsa pig user. They've never failed me, and personally I like the unsealed bearings, because they are easier to grease. They have a steel lower cup, and BIG lower bearings, They were designed for rigid bmx bikes, it should be sufficient.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
I suggest using the BMX version of the FSA PIG Pro headset. It's still just as burly as the DH, but w/out the deep cups. I ran the unsealed version on my 20" DK for 2 1/2 years, now I'm runnin' that very same headset on my BigHit. I'd opt for the sealed version, since he's a kid and less likely to do consistent maintenance on his bike, which he would need to do with the unsealed version.
I've always properly maintained my unsealed headset's; takin' them apart cleaning and degreasin' them, then regreasin' with new grease, and it works and lasts forever. I haven't even been able to crush those burly bearings, even with as hard as I rode them on my DK and now on my BigHit.

Peace,
Patrick
aka Alex966(I'm on my friend's account)