Quantcast

headset

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
Is there a headset that will help my forks clear my downtube on my IH 06 7.3 I've got a 66 rc2x that the crown keeps hitting.
looking for a decent headset.

Oct 9, 2006
How much are you lacking to clear? There are headsets made with very deep cups that are made to go further into the frame, I have seen these used with spacers between the bottom cup and the frame to make a little more clearance for forks. There is also a company, the name eludes me at the moment, but the make race extenders to give that extra little bit of clearance.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
have to use the chirs king for the ventana setup. cane creek use/still makes a headset just for your problem its called the plus5 something and will raise your headtube 5mms

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Lower stack heights for reducing 1.5" headsets:

FSA Big Fat Pig R - 11.7mm

FSA Orbit Extreme - 13.4

Cane Creek Double Xc - 16mm

Or, use FSA headtube reducers and a standard 1.125" headset (with a taller lower stack height).

toby

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
Lower stack heights for reducing 1.5" headsets:

FSA Big Fat Pig R - 11.7mm

FSA Orbit Extreme - 13.4

Cane Creek Double Xc - 16mm

Or, use FSA headtube reducers and a standard 1.125" headset (with a taller lower stack height).

toby
ya I saw these and the two others you posted me,so heres the deal I walk in my LBS and ask for a cane creek headset but he only carries XC stuff and he told me he has a cane creek doesn't make 1.5 with a reducer,I told him that your running a double xc but he insits that if they do make one I still would have to get a lower spacer to make it work.
so I thought I would post this on the forum to find more options.
I was hoping he would carry something but like I said he only carries XC stuff and he insists that XC will work on my bike.

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
ya I figured that was the right one.....lousy LBS, thanks for the post it helps,any difference between the chris king,beside popular name....which I could care less,does your headset mach the 1.5 diameter of the headtube or does it taper to 1 1/8 and look cosmetically stupid like I saw at my LBS he used the plus 5 and a race spacer which looks realy weird with a 1.5 headtube.
do I need to buy anything else with the dble xc ?

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
The Cane Creek Double Xc will include everything you need (check the link again). And I think it's a cleaner look than headtube reducers and a standard headset. And as long as it'll give you the necessary clearance. The new King 1.5" headset looks nice but is $$$ and I haven't seen the stack heights listed. Plus the King's Preloader (included with the headset) won't fit the tapered steerer tube on the 66rc2x.

toby

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
so just best off to stick with the double XC I couldn't find a price on the second web site,my LBS said it would be 130.00 to get it from him,not going to happen but I'm sure I can get it cheaper somewhere else,I did go and worked in the new forks today,very happy with the way they feel,I'll post some pics here in a little while.