Quantcast

Headsets for tapered steer tubes?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Got a good deal on a Totem with a tapered steer tube so was trying to figure out my options for headsets...any suggestions?

Not looking to turn this into a discussion about the validity or reasoning behind manufacturing.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Cane Creek and soon Chris King.

I have heard really good things about the Cane Creek and I will be looking into one soon myself.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Cane Creek is now offering separate top and lower headset cup assemblies to accommodate all the new options with tapered headtubes. They will "build" a headset for what you need. All the new options can make your head spin - so much for industry standardization again.

Also, Gravity (FSA) is making a few options.

toby

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Cane Creek is now offering separate top and lower headset cup assemblies to accommodate all the new options with tapered headtubes. They will "build" a headset for what you need. All the new options can make your head spin - so much for industry standardization again.

toby
Can you buy stuff directly from CC or do you need to go through a dealer?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

toby
The Gravity's are backordered currently. If you want that one, youll need to find a shop with it in stock.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
First- double chech your frame. Is it regular 1 1/8 top and regular 1.5 bottom? Giant and Trek have some internal totally different tapered head tubes. If your bike is the first one i mentioned a King is allready available simply by asking for a combo headset of readily available parts.
Krispy

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
First- double chech your frame. Is it regular 1 1/8 top and regular 1.5 bottom? Giant and Trek have some internal totally different tapered head tubes. If your bike is the first one i mentioned a King is allready available simply by asking for a combo headset of readily available parts.
Krispy
Its actually neither. It's a Knolly DT with a standard 1.5 headtube.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Ah! Well then you could do all sorts of things. You will need an external lower 1.5 cup, and you could put the upper bearing inside the headtube with an E 13 upper cup, or the upperhalf of a Cane Creek XXC Flush, or a reducer and put a regular 1 1/8 upper cup outside of the frame.

If you wanted it to look clean you could mix 2 Cane Creek headsets so it all matches.
(Double X lower cup, XXC Flush upper cup)
Or all King
(King 1.5 lower, some upper reducer, King 1 1/8 upper)

Last edited: