Quantcast

Headsets

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Why oh why does so much shit end up in even a well greased headset? Seriously needs more attention than the main pivot bolt...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Have noticed we replace a lot more lower headset bearings than uppers since forks went to tapered steerers.
Essentially even though the lower bearing is bigger & tougher due to it's size, now way more force hits that one bearing and it's seals, this combined with the fact that the bikes are so much more capable these days (a current XC full sus is about as capable of riding the gnar as a DH bike of 20 years ago) means that those things get smashed like never before!
You running a marshguard of the like?
Stops a lot of shit hitting the lower headset.
Also don't blast the shit out of the headset (or any seal) when washing it, you probably already know that one but worth re itterating as I see so many munters drag their fucked bikes in after having done that sort of shit to them.

Lot of the cheaper headsets are cheap cause they skimp on the seals..... Headsets, BB's, hubs, sliding surfaces are not places to go too cheap.
Been quite impressed by the durability of the new Sram Dub BB's..... And that's from an stoically anti Sram guy.
Durability in shitty conditions is very very good, they have made a vastly improved product by what they did with the seals.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I would never jet wash, and only ever cautiously hose wash my bikes. Normally, 95 times in 100 it gets wiped down, not washed. Only extreme mud gets a hose and I don’t like to ride in the mud if possible. Yes, I run a fender on the front.

But yeah, it’s not the bearing itself, it just the amount of crap that seems to be able to work its way in around the thing. Maybe you’re right about the bigger bearing being a factor.

My bike has one of those Across headsets that stop the fork impacting the downtube, so by no means cheap shit, and the bearings themselves seem fine. However on disassembly there is some dirt and dust even on the steerer tube. How? Ok tbh this is rhetorical to a large extent because I get it that fine powder can and does get everywhere and over time builds up. But it’s annoying. Can haz Mars rover seals?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Lizard Skins, yo!

1609759929386.png

I have a steel hardtail that is unprotected on the inside, every now and then I pull the BB out and shake out all the rusty bits to save some weight.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think its just the way headsets are (bearings and covers with lots of space). Once debris gets in there, it probably isn't going to come out - and its constantly have crap thrown at it from below and sweat/water dripped on from above.

And the grease thing is probably a catch 22 type of thing, yeah it'll help prevent water from getting to the actual bearing, but if any grit gets in there, it'll hold onto it that much better.

The only headsets that I've had last quite a long time was on my DH bikes. Probably because I rode them less and I kept them sparkling clean, as opposed to the trail bikes where sometimes it'll get a coating of shit on the downtube and get ignored for a ride or two.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have yet to experience this issue with tapered head tubes and I don't exactly ride in a dry environment. However people in the PNW seem to be be averse to stream crossings and shit drains well here so puddles aren't much of an issue.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
I wonder if soil composition doesn't effect that as well ie less abrasives are introduced to the headset even when riding in the wet.

I have yet to experience this issue with tapered head tubes and I don't exactly ride in a dry environment. However people in the PNW seem to be be averse to stream crossings and shit drains well here so puddles aren't much of an issue.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Wellington where Changleen and myself live gets more annual rainfall than Vancouvers north shore.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wellington where Changleen and myself live gets more annual rainfall than Vancouvers north shore.

Despite being known for rain, Seattle doesn't get that much, it just all happens slowly in mist form. But as soon as you get near a mountain that number can double or triple, so it is effectively the same here as far as riding is considered.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Well I’ve totally cleaned it out and put far too much grease in now. Hopefully that holds it for a bit.
Also found out my bike’s top tube is so fat, it solves the age-old problem of ‘what to do with the bars when the forks are off’. So fat that they can just perch. Saves a couple of zip ties anyway...

80D615BD-4567-498C-8882-55A3FBB032E1.jpeg