Quantcast

Headtube Question

Jun 13, 2007
Israel
So i have a question meant more for the techies but anyone with experience in this matter can help.

If i was to put a triple crown(i.e fox 40)with 200mm of travel on a bike such as a giant reign 2006 with only six inches of travel what can happen ???

-Will the HT snap off the frame or is it only geometry??

-Ive seen here on slope style threads people that have taken the cannondale rush and turned them into freeride animal's and i know that in Europe people take bikes that have 4-5 inches of travel and put on a triple crown fork or a single with 180 mm

-I know that Scott manufactures the Nitrous which is considered a short travel bike for freeride and downhill,If anyone has a a bike like this can u please post pics.

Thanks
Mikey

Flyingfish

Chimp
Nov 4, 2008
Toledo, OH
snapping the ht is something that could happen. you could also ruin the bikes handling characteristics*, void a warrante, break stanchions or lowers,

the biggest id go is 180 but its your bike so yea

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The most immediate change you will see is in the geometry. The HA will be slacker, and the BB will be higher. Suspension wise, it might feel unbalanced front to rear.

It will put additional strain on the joints between the headtube and the top tube and down tube, which *can* result in failure. (a dual crown fork strains a head tube differently than a single crown fork. So its not just due to the change in travel, but that also plays a part) Because of this, many manufacturer's warranties are voided if you install a dual crown fork on a frame not designed for it.