Quantcast

Headunits. 2V, 4V, 6V pre-amp RCA outs... why the difference? worth it?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
so, i have a head unit with 3 pairs of rca putting out 2V.
pioneer 5850.
a few guys swear by other units with 6V preamp outs.... but i havent heard a good reason for that

can anybody explain why the higher voltage is supposed to be better?

also, i´ve been offered a used rockford fosgate (RFX 9220) headunit for a good price. 3 pairs of rca with 5V outs... worth the change over my almost new pioneer?

thanks!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my guess would be that higher voltage increases signal to noise.

my advice, however, is to forget about it: cars are such a non-ideal listening environment as it is that splitting hairs is only for the harebrained.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

my advice, however, is to forget about it: cars are such a non-ideal listening environment as it is that splitting hairs is only for the harebrained.
Indeed. I don't get the people going balls out on car stereo equipment...big steel can does not a good concert hall make. Though the VW contains the little subwoofer vibrations quite nicely.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

going by that, does that mean one would be better off with $60 kenwood 3-ways than with $160 boston components?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
There's splitting hairs and there's a hair cut. I think you'd be able to hear the difference between a $160 speaker and a $60 speaker even in a car, I don't think you'd hear the difference between a $160 speaker and a $500 speaker though, even between a $120 speaker and a $160 speaker there will be little difference, a $60 speaker will sound like a $60 speaker though. Which isn't really bad, most of the speakers installed at the factory use inferior construction, but many of them do sound pretty good. In a side by side comparison the difference is clearly audiable.

I want to say that a higher preamp voltage is less suceptible to noise induced by poor wiring, I can't remember if that's right or not, there is some minor advantage to a higher preamp voltage, but it's not that important or it would be the first thing you read on the box, not something that is hidden in the owner's manual. If you do a good job with your install, ground everything at one point to bare metal and keep power wires physically seperate from signal wires you'll be fine no matter what the preamp voltage. You're going to tune the gains on your amp so you'll hear the same volume either way, I'd put more money on a good amp than on a headunit because that's the component that is most likely to add distortion.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
going by that, does that mean one would be better off with $60 kenwood 3-ways than with $160 boston components?
listen to them in a showroom and find out for yourself. (and then imagine 70 dB of road noise overlaid at freeway speeds.) no one can tell you what you'll think sounds good...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
listen to them in a showroom and find out for yourself. (and then imagine 70 dB of road noise overlaid at freeway speeds.) no one can tell you what you'll think sounds good...
i have some $160 boston components up front, and some $100 5-ways in the back, i can tell the difference, but i thought it was more due to the coaxial vs component design.... just wondering whats the opinion on the difference was.

do sub amps makes much difference?

i´ve got a decent (mid range) 4x90w amp at 4ohn, or 4x110w at 2ohms amp... and i was thinking to get a separate one for the sub.
would it be better to just get a monoblock for the sub, or turn this midrange 4 way amp and bridge all 4 to my 300rms sub, and then get a higher quality amp for the speakers????

Chamen

Chimp
Dec 6, 2016
Pre out voltage is very important the higher the volts the louDer and clearer ur system will sound also keeps u from having to turn up ur main amp gain witch as it goes up the more distortion it has as well as blocks out any noise from grounding issues in the vehichle. Most amps will only handle 6 to 10 volts or vrms depends on brand and price of technowlegy used in building it. Simply just stay around 6 or 7 volts. IF u want to get acoustical dyno mat thee intire car with all available kits as well as zbart ur underbody

Pre out voltage is very important the higher the volts the louDer and clearer ur system will sound also keeps u from having to turn up ur main amp gain witch as it goes up the more distortion it has as well as blocks out any noise from grounding issues in the vehichle. Most amps will only handle 6 to 10 volts or vrms depends on brand and price of technowlegy used in building it. Simply just stay around 6 or 7 volts. IF u want to get acoustical dyno mat thee intire car with all available kits as well as zbart ur underbody
Your signal to noise ratio is extremely low.

Chamen

Chimp
Dec 6, 2016
My brain is quite allright and was pacificly based about the subject ask witch is way more on topic then any of these other convos so I'd say lol we right on up in hare

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
With enough (clean) wattage, a car is an incredible environment for high end audio. Especially while parked with no road noise.its like being in a massive, tunable pair of headphones.