Quantcast

Health "care"

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Innovation costs money, sure.

Why should America largely pay for these drugs' development, though, when the drugs are sold worldwide? That's a tremendous distortion borne out of our insurance system's design.
all my companies' money comes from venture funds from wealthy investors and companies. I don't take anything out of your pocket. I believe 100% that our insurance system needs reform and regulation. Whether I pay insurance companies $400 a month or the government the same amount seems to depend on whether you think uncle sam can run a better business (or a more fair one). Either way, I believe drug costs would go down if there weren't so many people in between your wallet and your health, and if a drug was covered for longer than 7 years after being patented. Cover 15 years of development and 15 years of sales, and maybe prices would go down? I don't believe the 25years since invention is fair to drugs that have such long development times.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Corporate pharmaceutical companies are first and foremost corporations. A corporations only goal is to improve stock prices. This can be done via actual profits, or on speculation of profits (Tesla). Corporations only moral responsibility is to not break applicable laws or act in a way that can result in litigation that will damage stock prices. Some may choose to make moral decisions but that is not what they are there for. I worked for Merck for a while and I felt pretty good about it as they had developed drugs for problematic 3rd world diseases and often provided the medication for free if not for really cheap. Last year they stopped supplying some of those meds to Africa as more profitable markets opened in China. Was that a disappointing decision, yes. Evil, no. It was a sound financial decision. Until investors are willing to invest vast amounts of money in companies with the goal to do societal good, this will never change. It would be possible to have publicly owned pharma and health care with the sole goal to provide societal good, but that would really just be evil communism.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Innovation costs money, sure.

Why should America largely pay for these drugs' development, though, when the drugs are sold worldwide? That's a tremendous distortion borne out of our insurance system's design.
Because they can?

The product I worked with at Merck sold domestically for 3-6 times the price in other countries. And that was to distributors, once the multiple steps of the distribution chain took their cut the cost to patients was again several times more. Supply and demand, when you are dying of pneumonia, you are probably willing to pay anything to save your life.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Corporate pharmaceutical companies are first and foremost corporations. A corporations only goal is to improve stock prices. This can be done via actual profits, or on speculation of profits (Tesla). Corporations only moral responsibility is to not break applicable laws or act in a way that can result in litigation that will damage stock prices. Some may choose to make moral decisions but that is not what they are there for. I worked for Merck for a while and I felt pretty good about it as they had developed drugs for problematic 3rd world diseases and often provided the medication for free if not for really cheap. Last year they stopped supplying some of those meds to Africa as more profitable markets opened in China. Was that a disappointing decision, yes. Evil, no. It was a sound financial decision. Until investors are willing to invest vast amounts of money in companies with the goal to do societal good, this will never change. It would be possible to have publicly owned pharma and health care with the sole goal to provide societal good, but that would really just be evil communism.
This.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OK, how might we gradually change the overall system so as to provide universal health care at a reasonable cost to all?
Look at the 30 or so developed nations that have universal coverage and pick one?

Although I am starting to believe we may no longer live in a developed country, a lot of us just live in developed parts if a 3rd world country.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That is my preferred means if health care but I recognize that it will not work for everyone.

Also, huge fake boobs should be free.
I'm not sure huge ones would work well on your frame...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Look at the 30 or so developed nations that have universal coverage and pick one?

Although I am starting to believe we may no longer live in a developed country, a lot of us just live in developed parts if a 3rd world country.
I would more accurately say that we are devolving into second world status (for the majority).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would more accurately say that we are devolving into second world status (for the majority).
2nd world was used to describe Soviet block countries. We're are approaching something similar but opposite. Instead of a central organization controlling all aspects of industry, industry is controlling all aspects our Central government, but with a lot more homelessness.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Ever been to Navajo Nation? The Central Valley of California? Kentucky? Pine Ridge Indian reservation is one of the worst places to live by every measurable statistic in the Western Hemisphere. This country has been third world for probably most of my lifetime.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ever been to Navajo Nation? The Central Valley of California? Kentucky? Pine Ridge Indian reservation is one of the worst places to live by every measurable statistic in the Western Hemisphere. This country has been third world for probably most of my lifetime.

Ever been to Seattle? We have conditions similar to those, probably closer to favelas but we just don't let them get big or permanent, but pretty much every public space gets its rotation of third worldliness. That has not always been the case, and it just isn't in the big cities, saw the same shit driving through bumblefuck Oregon. It is how I imagine the depression was, but with more garbage.
But look at the stock market!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Ever been to Seattle? We have conditions similar to those, probably closer to favelas but we just don't let them get big or permanent, but pretty much every public space gets its rotation of third worldliness. That has not always been the case, and it just isn't in the big cities, saw the same shit driving through bumblefuck Oregon. It is how I imagine the depression was, but with more garbage.
But look at the stock market!
Not in about a decade, but I have no reason to think it's improved much.

I do a fair amount of driving through lots of the rural west for the airline to so called "Essential Air Service" airports. Many of these communities are well on their way to third world status. Meth and soybean welfare subsides are not lifting these areas up, somewhat unsurprisingly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not in about a decade, but I have no reason to think it's improved much.

I do a fair amount of driving through lots of the rural west for the airline to so called "Essential Air Service" airports. Many of these communities are well on their way to third world status. Meth and soybean welfare subsides are not lifting these areas up, somewhat unsurprisingly.
You should come to Bethel.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am pretty sure that public transportation in Boston is worse than that of most 3rd world countries.
I mean, fucking ridiculous. As are the roads here. Second world is wishful thinking even in the developed areas.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — An Alaska dentist, who gained notoriety after he was seen in a video riding a hoverboard and pulling teeth, was convicted Friday of defrauding the Alaska Medicaid program.

Seth Lockhart was convicted of 46 counts, including felony medical assistance fraud and scheming to defraud, and misdemeanor counts of illegally practicing dentistry and reckless endangerment, prosecutors said.