Quantcast

Health Insurance??

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Hey all...

My wife and I will be moving from KC back to Tucson in late August. We want to be closer to the family before we start having kids (still a few years off.) I managed to land an awesome contract freelance full-time position. I will be paid more than what my wife and I are making now (combined!) Pretty schweet... plus I get to work from home!

Anyway, onto the point: The only downside right now is we will have to pay our own health insurance. Anyone pay your own and know of a decent carrier that won't bend us over?? I'm not even sure what to get... dental and major medical of course.. but other than that, I'm not sure. Currently, we're both covered under my wife's employer... I think it is Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

This may only have to last a year, as the place I'm going to work for is probably getting insurance next year, but until then, I want my wife and I to be covered.

Any ideas?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
congrats on the contract gig.

If you wanna save money -and- you don't get hurt or sick much, just look for a major medical only policy with really high deductibles. You might save money over the year since deductibles and co-pays are typically significant for minor stuff -- breaks, dislocations, flu.

Why dental policy?

If you've got the money, then cool, get well covered.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
When the wife and I were both unemployed, we used Golden Rule insurance. They are reasonably priced, but we only enrolled for emergency purposes. We just wanted to be covered in case something major happened. I think it was something like $300 for a few months. Not the kind of coverage we'd choose for every day preventive insurance, but we wanted basic coverage "just in case."

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I would try to avoid blue cross/shield. While the coverage can be good they are pricey. I was paying 385 per month for just me. family plans can be around 700-800 per month. Call around but don't buy into any of the "discount cards" all they often cover is like 10%. Good luck.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
I can't tell you what the rates would be as those differ by area. But for family dental and med coverage, I'd look into the major carriers (not sure which are available in your area), Blue Cross/blue Shield, Healthnet, Aetna and Pacificare. For interim coverage, just select an HMO plan. Pretty standard coverage.

I'd go for something with a lower monthly premium but a higher deductible. They pretty much equal out in out of pocket expenditure if you end up having a good sized claim, but if you don't have any problems, you don't have to shell out a ton of cash.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I looked into this myself. (I'm a contractor too, but my job shop offers health benefits)

And in WA state anyway, you could not get private health insurance that gave 100% coverage. 80% was the best you could do if you were not part of "a group"....ie a company health plan.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Originally posted by Lexx D
I would try to avoid blue cross/shield. While the coverage can be good they are pricey. I was paying 385 per month for just me. family plans can be around 700-800 per month. Call around but don't buy into any of the "discount cards" all they often cover is like 10%. Good luck.
We have blue cross, and it is around $400/month for me and the kids(2). Women can be expensive if they are in the child having years. The wife has her insurance through her work.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by Wumpus
We have blue cross, and it is around $400/month for me and the kids(2). Women can be expensive if they are in the child having years. The wife has her insurance through her work.
Bastards, I knew they were robbing me.:angry: Sometimes if your employer signs the check you can get it cheaper. i know when i was looking into it if my boss had made the check out it would have been around half what it cost me.