Quantcast

Healthy Snacks (low fat)

Seasoned popcorn
Sprinkle a tablespoon of "either garlic salt, chili powder, cheyenne pepper, or freshly grated Parmesan cheese over three cups of air-popped popcorn. If you'd like a little more kick, if using the cheese sprinkle some hot sauce on it as well.
(I wouldn't combine hot sauce with chili powder or cheyenne pepper..too spicy)

Good snack and natural thermogenic.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
All them bodybuilder/fitness types love peanut butter. :p
My dad is the same (fitness-wise... works out, eats very healthy, etc) and loves it (Yes, he chastises me constantly about my eating habits). Personally I can't stand the stuff. I had so much damn peanut butter growing up that I am sick of it!

Great thread Firestorm. Keep posting!

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
Ya know, I don't like regular peanut butter, but the fresh ground all natural stuff is all-right. Fresh ground almond butter... now that stuff I love.

Thanks Ciaran. Feel free to add your own peeps. I know there is PP in many of my snacks there and it's used for a reason. It is an easy way to encorporate Protein into the snacks so you get protein, carbs and fat all in one snack. Any snack that is all protein or all carbs isn't the "best" snack. Good snack yes but not the best. Any snack regardless of what it is that has both is better then any snack consisting of only one of the two. Natural PP tastes good and goes with more then just jelly. Tastes great on certain fruits like I stated above.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Great thread, I approve.

To my dismay, I discovered a few months ago that my body doesn't like peanuts (or most nuts for that matter). I'm not allergic, but my body doesn't take well to digesting nuts. I love peanut butter and really started taking a liking to almond milk--needless to say, I'm not very happy.

Glad you like the thread reflux. As you can see above Peanut butter isn't the only source of good protein. In fact there are better ones with less fat so don't fret none. Almonds in fact are much better for you then peanuts that are used to make peanut butter so your ahead of the game right there. I'll have to figure something out that you can use that almond milk in some snack. Maybe lowfat instant jello pudding and substitute regular milk with almond milk. I think thay sounds good. You can freeze em and have frozen pudding pops. I may try that myself but toss in a scoop of whey protein in there just for giggles and see how it turns out. That may be a bit over the top but testing is the only way to find good recepies.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
firestorm said:
Glad you like the thread reflux. As you can see above Peanut butter isn't the only source of good protein. In fact there are better ones with less fat so don't fret none. Almonds in fact are much better for you then peanuts that are used to make peanut butter so your ahead of the game right there. I'll have to figure something out that you can use that almond milk in some snack. Maybe lowfat instant jello pudding and substitute regular milk with almond milk. I think thay sounds good. You can freeze em and have frozen pudding pops. I may try that myself but toss in a scoop of whey protein in there just for giggles and see how it turns out. That may be a bit over the top but testing is the only way to find good recepies.

I have tried pudding with soy milk and it does not set up. Freezing would probably work just fine though. It was kind of the consistency of melted pudding pops.

One of my favorite low fat snacks this time of year is tomatoes with low fat cottage cheese. its more like a meal when its too hot out to think about food. and you better make sure you can get you hands on some good tomatoes. Nothing worse than mealy tomatoes and cottage cheese.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
firestorm said:
Another good one for tomatoes.
Sliced Tomatoe, light coating of extra virgin Olive oil, Red wine vinagar, oregeno, touch of salt. then chilled for 30 minutes. Garnish with basil leaves or something green.
That most definitely looks like something I'm going to try this week. Thanks.

Saddly enough, I can't eat almonds or almond milk. Argh!! I'm also lactose intolerant, but soy milk doesn't agree with me either. :mumble:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
reflux said:
That most definitely looks like something I'm going to try this week. Thanks.

Saddly enough, I can't eat almonds or almond milk. Argh!! I'm also lactose intolerant, but soy milk doesn't agree with me either. :mumble:

I feel your pain. I can get away with some dairy. cottage cheese and yogurt in small amount. But no way can I eat a bowl of cereal or make pudding and not have vicious repercussions.

Have you tried rice milk? I just gave up completely. Its not that hard to live with it out of my life so I stopped looking for substitutes.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
laura said:
I feel your pain. I can get away with some dairy. cottage cheese and yogurt in small amount. But no way can I eat a bowl of cereal or make pudding and not have vicious repercussions.

Have you tried rice milk? I just gave up completely. Its not that hard to live with it out of my life so I stopped looking for substitutes.
I LOVE(d) yogurt, but had to give it up when I first became lactose intolerant. I've tried eating it a few times since then, only to have bad results. I'm too jealous of you, seriously. Plain yogurt with a bunch of fresh fruit used to make my day.

I use plain rice milk for my cereal. For a couple years I bought vanilla, but I've recently decided against the added sugar. I gave almond milk a try for two reasons 1) a friend of mine who couldn't have milk, tried and liked almond milk and 2) I needed a change.

What kills me though, is that milk and dairy products are in EVERYTHING. Ideally, I wouldn't have to take a lactaid pill everytime I eat. If I don't cook something myself however, well, chances are there's dairy in it.

My newest favorite source of protein is humus. With some fresh pita bread, that stuff is addicting.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Hummus is good with fresh veggies, crackers, pita bread or chips. It's an excellent source of protein! More sources of protein are boiled eggs, tuna on crackers, or a cheese stick.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
For you lactards, have you ever tried taking Digestive Advantage? I know, it sounds like a late-night infomercial. I picked up a box at CVS. You take one a day and can eat dairy. I'm pretty lactose intollerant and I can actually eat cheese and ice cream if I take the DA.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
bluebug32 said:
For you lactards, have you ever tried taking Digestive Advantage? I know, it sounds like a late-night infomercial. I picked up a box at CVS. You take one a day and can eat dairy. I'm pretty lactose intollerant and I can actually eat cheese and ice cream if I take the DA.
eat ice cream? I would love to be able to eat ice cream again. The last time I ate ice cream, I had to miss work I was so sick.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
bluebug32 said:
When in Rome...

HOWEVER, dairy seriously facks up my system for a couple days if I don't take a pill.

Thanks for the suggestion--I will think about it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
bluebug32 said:
You can also use Lactaid. I use the Ultra and take like 6 of them little buggers just to have some ice cream. Otherwise dairy has my ass on porcelain for the better part of a day.

I really miss yogurt. I used to have yogurt every day. Now I can't eat yogurt even with the pills. :dead:

http://www.lactaid.com/

Edit: Saw you mentioned it already...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
bluebug32 said:
Update - I ran out of lactaid last Friday, so I made the switch. Now, I wish I made the switch months ago. Thanks for the recommendation.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Smoothies are key. Add some protein powder to really boost the health factor. Flax is another good addition. If you really want a milkshake, use water instead of ice cubes and low fat ice cream (not frozen yogurt) instead of milk.

8oz skim milk
handful of ice cubes
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
Blend, makes 2 "shakes"

--------------------------------------

8oz skim milk
handful of ice cubes
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 banana
Blend, makes 2 "shakes"

8oz skim milk
handful of ice cubes
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
handful of strawberries
Blend, makes 2 "shakes"

Other good snacks:

beef jerky
almonds
trail mix (almonds, cashews, peanuts, raisins, M&Ms OR reeces pieces)
Whole wheat toast with peanut butter
Cracklin Oat bran (dry or with skim milk)